NOAA WAGE MarinersUnions

NOAA trained at KP?? … well, acually I do recall one of the newbys working with the galley crew for a bit… a few days? Of course they always sent one to the engine room to learn but I think 3 days (off and on) was as long as any of them stayed there. I think the noise was a issue, and they had to wear overalls in the heat to save their uniforms, I recall but one of them that had much aptitude for engineering systems. Seldom have I encountered Bridge Officers that you couldn’t snow some on systems happenings.

[QUOTE=jimrr;174400]NOAA trained at KP?? … well, acually I do recall one of the newbys working with the galley crew for a bit… a few days? Of course they always sent one to the engine room to learn but I think 3 days (off and on) was as long as any of them stayed there. I think the noise was a issue, and they had to wear overalls in the heat to save their uniforms, I recall but one of them that had much aptitude for engineering systems. Seldom have I encountered Bridge Officers that you couldn’t snow some on systems happenings.[/QUOTE]

They were separate from the Regiment. I would say that there were probably less than 10 there at any given time. I don’t ever recall interacting with them while there. Not sure if they were engineers or mates, or even made that distinction. . . pretty sure that they were being trained for officer positions, though. . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;174401]They were separate from the Regiment. I would say that there were probably less than 10 there at any given time. I don’t ever recall interacting with them while there. Not sure if they were engineers or mates, or even made that distinction. . . pretty sure that they were being trained for officer positions, though. . .[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure the answer is yes, they used to, but I think that ended when KP stopped it’s mariner training school. IIRC, the program was a number of weeks (6?) and it was their bridge officer training program.

NOAA Corps officers lived in Cleveland hall and ate at the Upper Deck- Delano hall on weekends. It was a 16 week program that taught the basics of navigation and seamanship. There are no Engineering Officers in the NOAA Corps.

The training program was moved to the USCGA in 2013.

I’m not referring to any formal thing… newby NOAA Corp got sent to work deck, galley, eng. for a bit to get familiar with the ship and crew etc. I’m sure new NOAA Corp. still does but we were told '" they’ll be down here for about 3 weeks""… as I said, about 3 days was it!!

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;174411]It was a 16 week program that taught the basics of navigation and seamanship.[/QUOTE]

I knew I remembered there was a “6” in there somewhere.

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;174411]NOAA Corps officers lived in Cleveland hall and ate at the Upper Deck- Delano hall on weekends. It was a 16 week program that taught the basics of navigation and seamanship. There are no Engineering Officers in the NOAA Corps.

The training program was moved to the USCGA in 2013.[/QUOTE]

There was always something going on over at Cleveland Hall. Maybe the ones in Palmer were the overflow.

Way back when they did live on zero deck of Palmer, well about half of it. Back then they were known as 90 day wonders but I’m sure that was just a term of endearment not related to the actual training period. I do remember they were all going to be “deck” officers and they all came with science degrees. Guess the thought was they could work better with scientists aboard or something. As their stair tower ran right up to the quarters above they were the victims of some looney schemes involving stink bombs etc. The ones I ran into seemed to have the right attitude but you never know once they get out.

[QUOTE=KPChief;174451]Way back when they did live on zero deck of Palmer, well about half of it. Back then they were known as 90 day wonders but I’m sure that was just a term of endearment not related to the actual training period. I do remember they were all going to be “deck” officers and they all came with science degrees. Guess the thought was they could work better with scientists aboard or something. As their stair tower ran right up to the quarters above they were the victims of some looney schemes involving stink bombs etc. The ones I ran into seemed to have the right attitude but you never know once they get out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is the way I remember it. . . I lived in Palmer my Plebe and 1st Class years. If I didn’t live there, I probably wouldn’t have known that they were there, to be honest.

I see NOAA has openings for 1st Engineers. What about Chief’s? Do they hire from outside or are they like MSC, don’t hire Chiefs, only 1st Eng and promote them internally???

I see NOAA has openings for 1st Engineers. What about Chief’s? Are they like MSC, they don’t hire Chiefs, only 1st Eng and promote Chiefs internally???