NMC says you have 90 days to cure application deficiencies

NMC says you can submit a license application and, if it is not complete, they will send out a letter stating what you still require and that you have 90 days to cure the deficiency.

The Long Beach REC says they will not forward an application to NMC with any deficiencies. I have had this problem before with Long Beach.

Anybody else out there running into this problem?

My situation: heading back to sea (overseas) and only need a month of sea time for an upgrade. West Virginia say submit the app. Long Beach says “We don’t do that!”

Thats almost funny…My last packet I sent through the REC, the guy didn’t want to forward my assessments, which would have made it deficient …I had to insist…Then ,mysteriously they never made it NMC when the app was received…hmmmm

How do these things happen?

[quote=PMC;18868]NMC says you can submit a license application and, if it is not complete, they will send out a letter stating what you still require and that you have 90 days to cure the deficiency.

The Long Beach REC says they will not forward an application to NMC with any deficiencies. I have had this problem before with Long Beach.

Anybody else out there running into this problem?

My situation: heading back to sea (overseas) and only need a month of sea time for an upgrade. West Virginia say submit the app. Long Beach says “We don’t do that!”[/quote]

The REC only looks to see if the application is complete. They make sure there is a sea time letter in the packet - they do not evaluate the amount of sea time needed. NMC does that. Long Beach is not the only one that follows the rules, they all do the same thing and go by the checklist.

Hmmm…

My request is for an upgrade from mate to master. No required courses, no assessments, no fingerprints, no physical. My sea time letter takes care of the drug test.

So the only thing I need to submit is a sea-time letter. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. However, when I applied for my 1600 mate license, I was five days short of sea time. Long Beach would not forward my app until I had logged those 5 days.

When I applied for (RIG) last friday I submitted a recent medical form but because my doctor left off the pulse rate the REC would not submit my app without the correction. Well, my doctor is in FL and I am at Houston TX REC so I tell her to submit app and use my last medical done 1 & 1/2 years ago since for (RIG) medicals are good for 3 years and she did but not without advising me that there was no guarantee that NMC would use my last medical. Go figure.

As far as I know, you don’t have to go through the REC’s anymore - it’s a good way to check if your stuff is complete, but you can mail it straight to WV now.

10talents - watch out with having them use your old physical. I tried that too, and after 6 weeks of sitting in the “waiting to be evaluated” stage, I got a phone call that there were NO physicals in my file - and I know there had to be at least 2. She told me that they got lost when all of the paperwork got moved - I asked, “This happen alot?” She says “All the time.”

I submitted my RIG in March of this year and my last medical was 2.5 years old at the time of application. I never even included a medical eval with my application but I did bring a copy of the CFR with my stating that as long as I had one within the last 3 years it was good to go. Fortunately I didn’t need it. The REC and NMC accepted no problem. Good luck!

[quote=New3M;18922]As far as I know, you don’t have to go through the REC’s anymore - it’s a good way to check if your stuff is complete, but you can mail it straight to WV now.

10talents - watch out with having them use your old physical. I tried that too, and after 6 weeks of sitting in the “waiting to be evaluated” stage, I got a phone call that there were NO physicals in my file - and I know there had to be at least 2. She told me that they got lost when all of the paperwork got moved - I asked, “This happen alot?” She says “All the time.”[/quote]

While you can mail your stuff into the REC, you cannot mail it direct to NMC.