New Deputy Superintendent of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy

Academy Superintendent Rear Admiral James A. Helis, USMS announced that Captain, USN (ret.) Susan L. Dunlap has been selected as the new Deputy Superintendent of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.

His message stated:

Captain Dunlap recently retired after an honorable and distinguished 28-year career with the United States Navy. She is a Surface Warfare Officer with vast experience at sea. In her final assignment she served in Naples, Italy with U.S. Naval Forces Africa/Sixth Fleet as Director, Africa Regional Engagement Group, where she provided direct oversight of all maritime theater security cooperation with Africa, including the internationally-recognized Africa Partnership Station (APS) program. Her extensive leadership experience in key command and staff billets and lifetime commitment to service to the nation make her an ideal selection for Deputy Superintendent. I am pleased to welcome her to the senior leadership team at Kings Point.

Well I guess it’s official, Kings Point is now West Point South, Annapolis North.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;88483]Well I guess it’s official, Kings Point is now West Point South, Annapolis North.[/QUOTE]

Is there literally anybody there at KP (except Kumar) who has even stood on a dock looking at a cargo ship or at least seen one on TV?

Since they promoted Chris McMahon to Rear Admiral as deputy superintendent and promoted Joe Stewart to Vice Admiral, I wonder if they will do the same for Helis and Dunlap.

[QUOTE=leadline;88490]Since they promoted Chris McMahon to Rear Admiral as deputy superintendent and promoted Joe Stewart to Vice Admiral, I wonder if they will do the same for Helis and Dunlap.[/QUOTE]

Uh oh! What does Helis’ wife look like and is Susan Dunlap hot?

DANGER WILL ROBINSON,DANGER!

btw, have you seen photos of Petreaus’ wife?..ewww, no wonder he strayed!

[QUOTE=c.captain;88492]Uh oh! What does Helis’ wife look like and is Susan Dunlap hot?

DANGER WILL ROBINSON,DANGER!

btw, have you seen photos of Petreaus’ wife?..ewww, no wonder he strayed![/QUOTE]

Just do a google search in images

[QUOTE=c.captain;88489]Is there literally anybody there at KP (except Kumar) who has even stood on a dock looking at a cargo ship or at least seen one on TV?[/QUOTE]

Doubtful - This institution is simply running on the momentum of the days when the US Merchant Academy was a Merchant Marine Academy. For me, a graduate, I’d like a name change please, call it any thing you want but stop pretending KP is a Merchant Marine Academy. One more time I’ll post my thought that KP should open its doors to all active US Merchant Seamen, Licensed and Unlicensed, for training and upgrading. Eliminate the regimental system, the USA all ready has a Naval Academy, and a Military Academy, and a Coast Guard Academy, and an Air Force Academy. There are excellent State operated Maritime Academies, to operate a Federal Academy, at tax payers expense, is a needless redundancy.

Well she at least has an MSC background…

Singapore-based Military Sealift Command office changes leadership Change of Command

Military Sealift Command’s Singapore-based Sealift Logistics Command Far East changed leadership today as Navy Capt. Jim Romano relieved Navy Capt. Susan Dunlap. The change of command ceremony, held near SEALOGFE’s headquarters office at Sembawang Wharves, was the command’s first since it moved to its current location from Japan in July 2006.

Dunlap, SEALOGFE’s first Singapore-based commodore, led the charge to establish a permanent MSC footprint on the city-state island nation. SEALOGFE operates an average of 50 ships in the eastern Pacific and Indian oceans, delivering fuel and supplies to U.S. Navy forces at sea, transporting military cargo between ports, responding to humanitarian crises and conducting other special operations. MSC relocated to Singapore in order to collocate with Commander, Task Force 73, the primary command that MSC supports in the U.S. Seventh Fleet area of responsibility.

“What began with a staff of just four personnel here at Sembawang Wharves has emerged into an efficient and responsive staff of 23 that expertly manages the MSC logistics mission and has greatly enhanced our ability to support the fleet in this part of the world,” said Navy Rear. Adm. Nora Tyson, commander of Logistics Group Western Pacific and commander of Task Force 73. Tyson was the ceremony’s principal speaker.

Tyson also highlighted several high-profile operations that SEALOGFE participated in during Dunlap’s command. These included the transport of Indonesian military equipment for the United Nations-sponsored peacekeeping mission in Lebanon, support for humanitarian operations in Bangladesh following the devastating Tropical Cyclone Sidr and the dispatch of an oceanographic survey ship to locate the wreckage of a commercial jet that crashed in waters off of Indonesia’s Sulawesi Island.

Navy Rear Adm. Nora Tyson, commander, Logistics Group Western Pacific and commander, Task Force 73, presents the Legion of Merit to outgoing Commander, Sealift Logistics Command Far East Capt. Susan Dunlap during a change of command ceremony held today in Singapore. Tyson was the ceremony’s principal speaker. Today’s change of command ceremony SEALOGFE’s first since the command moved to Singapore from Japan in July 2006.

During her remarks, Capt. Dunlap thanked SEALOGFE staff members for their hard work and dedication in standing up the command, “This speech is dedicated to recognize them,” said Dunlap.

Romano first enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1971 and was commissioned a limited duty officer in 1982. A veteran of the Vietnam war, his shipboard assignments include USS Joseph Hewes, USS Forrestal, USS Los Alamos, USS Opportune, USS John F. Kennedy and USS Kearsarge. Capt. Romano’s most recent assignment was at the Navy Personnel Command, where he served as director of enlisted detailing. He also served with MSC as chief staff officer in Naples, Italy.

“It was immediately obvious to me that it will take my very best leadership and managerial skills to fill the void created by Capt. Dunlap’s departure,” said Romano.

Dunlap will report as the commanding officer of the Navy’s Training Support Center in San Diego, Calif., next month.

MSC operates approximately 110 noncombatant, merchant mariner-crewed ships that replenish U.S. Navy ships, conduct specialized missions, strategically preposition combat cargo at sea around the world and move military cargo and supplies used by deployed U.S. forces and coalition partners.

Thems sure a lot of purdy medals for someone who probably has never been within 5000miles of any combat! Do you ever get the impression that our military industrial complex is oozing brass hats out of every crevice? WE NEED MORE BOOTS AND LESS BRASS!

This is simply ridiculous how bloated our military has become. Cut the number of flag rank by half and you’ll still have too many!

Anybody for adult swim triple dipping in that great massive quadruple Olympic sized free money pool that is Washington DC* (which stands for Disposable Cash)

and if nothing else has come from all this mess, it is that after almost 28years entrenched in the filthy quagmire, KP is finally rid of that puppetmaster extraordinaire E. York Wallischeck!

although relatively benign in comparison, next to go must the the Great Bloated Maestro himself! The ultimate plenipotentiary and otherwise highly inflammable gas-bag Captain Kenneth R. Force, USMS!

OFF WITH THIS HEAD…HUZZAH!

[QUOTE=leadline;88495]Just do a google search in images[/QUOTE]

I did and this is the unfortunate result…

vs.

I know that I am a lousy mean dirty rotten no good SOB for saying it and I know he was known as “Saint Petraeus” and everything, but my God, how can any man hold him responsible for his actions? I mean Paula Broadwell is HOTTER THAT HELL!

A cursory glance at CAPT Dunlap’s chest candy reveals she was once ENLISTED. Got yerselves a HAWSEPIPER over there! She is NOT dripping with metal. She sports a Command Ashore pin, indicators of at least 4 deployments of at least 6 months in duration and was involved in DESERT SHIELD/DESERT STORM among other decorations. She ain’t no slug. And regardless of yer rancor of the community is a Surface Warfare Officer. I’m still trying to find an accurate bio - NOT that it would matter…

Found it - she’s earned her keep in my opinion

CAPTAIN (Ret) SUSAN “SUE” L. DUNLAP UNITED STATES NAVY
Captain Dunlap is a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She attendedNorthwestern University on an NROTC scholarship and earned a Bachelor of Artsdegree in English Literature in 1984. She was a distinguished graduate of the Surface Warfare Officers School BasicCourse, and her initial assignment was to USS CANOPUS (AS 34), where she served asNavigator and Auxiliaries Officer. She subsequently attended the Naval PostgraduateSchool in Monterey, California, from January 1988 to December 1989 and was awardeda Master’s degree in Computer Science.

A Distinguished Graduate of the Surface Warfare Officers Department Head Course,she was assigned as Chief Engineer of USS JASON (AR-8), and deployed in support ofOperations DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM in 1990 and 1991. From JASON, CaptainDunlap transferred to Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet Propulsion Examining Board,where she served as a steam propulsion examiner.

In March 1994, Captain Dunlap was reassigned to the Bureau of Naval Personnelin Washington, D. C. For six months she served as the Surface Warfare Initial Accessions Detailer before becoming a placement officer, where her constituents included ships and commands of the Combat Logistics Force, Military Sealift Command,Mine Warfare Command, Afloat Training Group and Surface Warfare Officers School.

Following repeal of the Combat Exclusion Law, Captain Dunlap requested andreceived orders to the multipurpose amphibious assault ship USS BOXER (LHD-4),where she served as Navigator. She participated in BOXER’s maiden deployment to thePersian Gulf and Red Sea from March to September 1997. She was subsequently detailed as Executive Officer of USS RUSHMORE (LSD-47), the Pacific Fleet’s “SmartShip” platform.

In June 1999, Captain Dunlap became Chief Staff Officer of Amphibious SquadronTHREE, embarked onboard USS BONHOMME RICHARD (LHD-6). During the maiden deployment of the BONHOMME RICHARD Amphibious Ready Group (ARG), the squadron staff and Marines of the FIFTEENTH Marine Expeditionary Unit participated in OperationSTABILIZE, providing humanitarian assistance to the people of East Timor.

Captain Dunlap served as Commanding Officer of Assault Craft Unit ONE from August 2001 to February 2003. Her follow-on assignment was to Commander, Naval AirForce, Pacific Fleet, in the Carrier Training Department. Captain Dunlap took command of Military Sealift Command’s Sealift Logistics Command, Far East (SEALOGFE) on 30 June 2006. After more than 50 years in Yokohama,Japan, the command relocated to Singapore and became officially established on 31July 2006. As SEALOGFE’s first Commander, Captain Dunlap supervised over 52 million square miles of ocean with responsibility for approximately 49 ships and 2400military and civilian mariners on any given day. Her follow on major command wasat Training Support Center, San Diego.

In July 2010 Captain Dunlap reported to Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe/U.S.Naval Forces Africa/SIXTH Fleet as Director, Africa Engagement. She retired fromthe Navy in July 2012 after 28 years of service.

Captain Dunlap’s personal awards include the Legion of Merit (three gold stars),the Meritorious Service Medal (three gold stars), the Navy and Marine CorpsCommendation Medal (three gold stars), the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medaland various other campaign and service ribbons. She is a graduate of the Naval WarCollege, where she earned her Master’s Degree in National Security and StrategicStudies with a single area focus on Africa.

[QUOTE=Jolly Tar;88571]A cursory glance at CAPT Dunlap’s chest candy reveals she was once ENLISTED. Got yerselves a HAWSEPIPER over there! She is NOT dripping with metal. She sports a Command at Sea pin, indicators of at least 4 deployments of at least 6 months in duration and was involved in DESERT SHIELD/DESERT STORM among other decorations. She ain’t no slug. And regardless of yer rancor of the community is a Surface Warfare Officer. I’m still trying to find an accurate bio - NOT that it would matter…

Found it - she’s earned her keep in my opinion

CAPTAIN (Ret) SUSAN “SUE” L. DUNLAP UNITED STATES NAVY
Captain Dunlap is a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She attendedNorthwestern University on an NROTC scholarship and earned a Bachelor of Artsdegree in English Literature in 1984. She was a distinguished graduate of the Surface Warfare Officers School BasicCourse, and her initial assignment was to USS CANOPUS (AS 34), where she served asNavigator and Auxiliaries Officer. She subsequently attended the Naval PostgraduateSchool in Monterey, California, from January 1988 to December 1989 and was awardeda Master’s degree in Computer Science.

A Distinguished Graduate of the Surface Warfare Officers Department Head Course,she was assigned as Chief Engineer of USS JASON (AR-8), and deployed in support ofOperations DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM in 1990 and 1991. From JASON, CaptainDunlap transferred to Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet Propulsion Examining Board,where she served as a steam propulsion examiner.

In March 1994, Captain Dunlap was reassigned to the Bureau of Naval Personnelin Washington, D. C. For six months she served as the Surface Warfare Initial Accessions Detailer before becoming a placement officer, where her constituents included ships and commands of the Combat Logistics Force, Military Sealift Command,Mine Warfare Command, Afloat Training Group and Surface Warfare Officers School.

Following repeal of the Combat Exclusion Law, Captain Dunlap requested andreceived orders to the multipurpose amphibious assault ship USS BOXER (LHD-4),where she served as Navigator. She participated in BOXER’s maiden deployment to thePersian Gulf and Red Sea from March to September 1997. She was subsequently detailed as Executive Officer of USS RUSHMORE (LSD-47), the Pacific Fleet’s “SmartShip” platform.

In June 1999, Captain Dunlap became Chief Staff Officer of Amphibious SquadronTHREE, embarked onboard USS BONHOMME RICHARD (LHD-6). During the maiden deployment of the BONHOMME RICHARD Amphibious Ready Group (ARG), the squadron staff and Marines of the FIFTEENTH Marine Expeditionary Unit participated in OperationSTABILIZE, providing humanitarian assistance to the people of East Timor.

Captain Dunlap served as Commanding Officer of Assault Craft Unit ONE from August 2001 to February 2003. Her follow-on assignment was to Commander, Naval AirForce, Pacific Fleet, in the Carrier Training Department.            Captain Dunlap took command of Military Sealift Command's Sealift Logistics Command, Far East (SEALOGFE) on 30 June 2006. After more than 50 years in Yokohama,Japan, the command relocated to Singapore and became officially established on 31July 2006. As SEALOGFE’s first Commander, Captain Dunlap supervised over 52 million square miles of ocean with responsibility for approximately 49 ships and 2400military and civilian mariners on any given day. Her follow on major command wasat Training Support Center, San Diego.

In July 2010 Captain Dunlap reported to Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe/U.S.Naval Forces Africa/SIXTH Fleet as Director, Africa Engagement. She retired fromthe Navy in July 2012 after 28 years of service.

Captain Dunlap’s personal awards include the Legion of Merit (three gold stars),the Meritorious Service Medal (three gold stars), the Navy and Marine CorpsCommendation Medal (three gold stars), the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medaland various other campaign and service ribbons. She is a graduate of the Naval WarCollege, where she earned her Master’s Degree in National Security and StrategicStudies with a single area focus on Africa. [/QUOTE]

Wanna know something about Medals? I got some, shoot, I’ll post them:

(1) The “Gee Dunk Medal” (which is worthless, back in Nam we thought it was a Medal awarded to those who didn’t do shit so they at least could show some salad on their uniform),
(2) The “Viet Nam Campaign Medal” (ditto to my last comment, the difference you had to be in Nam, if only for a day),
(3) The “Viet Nam Service Medal” (never could figure out this one),
(4) The “Presidential Unit Citation Medal.” Now THIS one counts, especially when the government doesn’t want any body to know EXACTLY what you did.

Tell me, what the hell does this Lady know about starting-up a United States Maritime Shipping Company?
For that matter, what does her boss know?

NOW, tell me, is King Point needed, and why call KP a United States Merchant Marine Academy?

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;88573]and why call KP a United States Merchant Marine Academy?[/QUOTE]

because it’s operating budget comes from MarAd’s annual Congressional appropriation and not the Navy’s

[QUOTE=c.captain;88575]because it’s operating budget comes from MarAd’s annual Congressional appropriation and not the Navy’s[/QUOTE]

Oh
So many ways to skin the cat !