Need honest career advice from expert mariners

Kristi
Obviously the industry is huge with many opportunities. The big questions are what you want to do and what training you can afford and how much time you can give that training. I have worked with many older trainees that had no problem holding their own. If you are not sure about all segments of the industry search online for maritime jobs then try and research on them to see if they look interesting.

You need sea time to get a licence. So the first thing you’d need to do if you want to go the 6 pack charter captain route, is start racking up sea time. The best charter captains I’ve know had a lifetime of experience, so maybe that’s not your best option. But if you wanted to run half day booze cruises I think you’d have a easier time getting your foot in the door. Neither of those two options are going to be high paying. So either commercial or yachts are the only real option for money. For you I’d go with yachts, I think a 50 year old woman is a easier sell to the yachting world than commercial. No offence. Most commercial company’s are nit picky about the older men (even having a 1600t), simply because of their age, and health factors. Good luck!

I don’t think “clever” really wanted to know. She hasn’t been back, hasn’t responded to a PM offer to put her in contact with a female captain who at the very least can offer some hard earned wisdom and maybe even a place to start.

If they won’t help themselves then it’s best to weed them out before they waste more of anyone’s time.

whats with planet bobo being the photo for this thread on facebook?

[QUOTE=Third Coast;134123]whats with planet bobo being the photo for this thread on facebook?[/QUOTE]

Huh? FB links to gCapt forum threads? News to me.

Link please.

Looking for smart bored people…

Maybe just an escape fantasy, like moving to Maine and living off the land or getting a job on a coastal freighter in Margaritaville.

Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made. Robert N. Rose

Many mariners think of quitting the sea, likely for some their dream is to become a lawyer.

Now that Miss Clever is gone, I wonder if it’s ok to speculate if she is hot? Lots of lady lawyers are quite so…especially from a city like Phoenix or Houston!

If she’s hot, she can be a deck cadet on the mighty ORCA

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;134124]Huh? FB links to gCapt forum threads? News to me.

Link please.[/QUOTE]

just go look at their FB page its on there

We need pictures. What’s up with these “hot” women posting without including a body shot?

[QUOTE=z-drive;134143]We need pictures. What’s up with these “hot” women posting without including a body shot?[/QUOTE]

Yeah…needs to be a requirement. Preferably a bikini shot or six!

[QUOTE=z-drive;134143]We need pictures. What’s up with these “hot” women posting without including a body shot?[/QUOTE]

Here she is- with 2 of her friends

Well … you can have the surprise of your life !!! :stuck_out_tongue:

:mad:My eyes - they burn.

Damn you Topsail.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;134148]:mad:My eyes - they burn. [/QUOTE]

Your eyes are burning :confused: Well I guess you’re normal !!! :wink:

Wellllll, If she does get back, and makes it thru all that ‘‘stuff’’ you guys sent I’d advise her to keep her credentials, get the z card etc. and get aboard something for a few weeks, if she likes it then take some school. I didn’t go to sea till I was 45 and now I can do 6 figures but then I’m a engineer which pretty much requires genius level credentials! OR: if she is one of those chicks in that photo I’d say she can be running the bridge crew in about a WEEK and the eng. rm. in 24 hrs!!!

I know more than a few older folks who retired early from their regular jobs because they had saltwater running through their veins! I say give it a go for a year! After a year of being a deckhand on a vessel, you will know if you have what it takes to make it a career! And if you don’t like it, you have some pretty interesting stories to tell your friends and family!

[QUOTE=Topsail;134147]Well … you can have the surprise of your life !!! :stuck_out_tongue:

[/QUOTE]

SWEET MYSTERY of LIFE…AT LAST I’VE FOUND YOU!

Let’s run away to a lonely desert isle babe where we will live on a’more, Wimpyburgers and spinach!

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;134146]Here she is- with 2 of her friends[/QUOTE]

Miss Kristi Clever and her two friends can all be my personal deck cadets on the ORCA…I’ll even pay them for the privilege!

…where I will give them all very specific training and provide them ample practice in the time honored art of Blowing the Man Down!

This has turned from forum to fantasy. haha. I’m reminded of what my dad once told me if it has 2 legs, a cunt ands still warm fuck it! hahaha