Navy Ship Collides with Tanker

So I must have struck a nerve.

Lifer? Pack sand. I did my time and retired. Pat myself on the back? According to you guys I SHOULD be as NONE us should be able to make it with the leadership we’re inflicted with to include an Officer Corps that you guys were a part of.

I would have been better served to ask how many warships our esteemed Xmscapt had served in, but I did not. Sorry - suck it up, buttercup. The original reason for the query stands - having been a part of the organization - He’s uniquely QUALIFIED to lambaste it. Bother me? You fucking BET it does. The Navy was good to me and I don’t like anyone talking shit about it.

I submit that I have had more interaction with more U.S. Navy Commanding Officers than ANY of you here, perhaps combined; having piloted Navy Warships for over a decade. Soup Sammiches? Some of them, you bet. I took USS HARTFORD to sea for her deployment where she ran aground in LaMaddelena. I just KNEW something was going to happen to that guy and couldn’t get off of his ship FAST ENOUGH. He wasn’t the only one and he won’t be the last.

LauHalaLana makes the point better than I - Fucked up skippers aside, they aren’t ALL bad. Yes, it WILL probably be shown unequivocally that PORTER is another one of those soup sammiches. I concede that, EASILY. Pissing on a BUNCH of people who have no choice in their leadership and VOLUNTEER to wake up EVERY DAY ready to do what they’re told to their best of their ability in the defense of US again serves NO purpose and THAT’S what rankled ME the most.

Steamer, GREAT pic, couldn’t tell it was you though through that THICK, WHITE beard yer sporting in yer profile pic.

Steamer and Xms: THANK-YOU BOTH for your Service. I think the world would be a better place if EVERYONE served a hitch.

Pissing on a BUNCH of people who have no choice in their leadership and VOLUNTEER to wake up EVERY DAY ready to do what they’re told to their best of their ability in the defense of US again serves NO purpose and THAT’S what rankled ME the most.

Great reminder on the need to appreciate those who serve. You can’t quit, you know what your wearing every day and you always have the last word… Yes Sir!

[QUOTE=Jolly Tar;80432]Steamer, GREAT pic, couldn’t tell it was you though through that THICK, WHITE beard yer sporting in yer profile pic.

Steamer and Xms: THANK-YOU BOTH for your Service. I think the world would be a better place if EVERYONE served a hitch.[/QUOTE]

Steamer doesn’t have a profile pic - I do - kiss my ass, Jolly. Yes, I agree, everyone should serve a hitch, still, kiss my ass. YES, I’m sick of lifers patting themselves on the back - that was my post you took as Steamer’s. Gotta say, I liked your words, still kiss my ass.

As you may see, I can be rude as any Navy Chief (BTW, I have the greatest respect for them, they run the show) - Now, a question. Of all those serving in the Military how many have ever seen combat?

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;80444] that was my post you took as Steamer’s…still kiss my ass.
Now, a question. Of all those serving in the Military how many have ever seen combat?[/QUOTE]

  1. Oops, unintentional, I assure you.
  2. Naaaah, if it’s as hairy as yer face, well…
  3. None. No other way to paint that one. Helped some Marines find their way there but never close enough to say I even heard anything.

[QUOTE=Jolly Tar;80466]1. Oops, unintentional, I assure you.
2. Naaaah, if it’s as hairy as yer face, well…
3. None. No other way to paint that one. Helped some Marines find their way there but never close enough to say I even heard anything.[/QUOTE]

That’s funny - I like you Jolly Tar. I’m a Vet, you will be a Vet, we be brothers.
Good luck to you

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;80475]I’m a Vet, you will be a Vet, we be brothers.
Good luck to you[/QUOTE]

Brothers, yes. Transferred to Fleet Reserve back in 2006

Luck? I’ll take all the help I can get

[QUOTE=Jolly Tar;80485]Brothers, yes. Transferred to Fleet Reserve back in 2006

Luck? I’ll take all the help I can get[/QUOTE]

Me too !!
Have you hooked-up with the VA?
https://www.myhealth.va.gov/index.html

Totally shifting gears here and on to a different but slightly related subject. There are private clubs for active duty and former enlisted personnel called The Fleet Reserve Club. I was accepted in the NAS Corpus Christi club even though I was a Navy Lt the club granted me an honorary certificate of Bosun Mate third class, my special qualification being I had a temper and swore like a “swain.”. I dropped membership (with your membership card you are welcomed in all the Fleet Reserve Clubs) as there are no such clubs in Montana, plus I’m out of the club culture these day although I do have a favorite Montana Saloon I frequent…

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2012/08/navy-porter-co-arriola-fired-collision-083012/

Surprised it took this long for the axe to fall.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;80497]http://www.navytimes.com/news/2012/08/navy-porter-co-arriola-fired-collision-083012/[/QUOTE]

‘Crinkled’ - is THAT a technical term?

KINGS POINTER - say it ain’t so

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;80494]Me too !!
Have you hooked-up with the VA?
https://www.myhealth.va.gov/index.html[/QUOTE]
VA? I have indeed, Shipmate and they are doing right by me.

Well, at least he started with a good education. Then 20 years of USN honing his seamanship and leadership skills

Second collision in four months. Hmmmm

How many CO firings in 2012?

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);80507]

That would be fifteen (15), Sir. Though, not all of them were ship drivers. The real story will be told in who falls after the investigation is done.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);80507]Well, at least he started with a good education.[/QUOTE]

I checked the KP alumni directory, Martin Arriola, Crd USN, was an Engine Cadet at Kings Point. Should have taken a course in Maritime Rules of The Road, not to mention Navigation… Should he hear of the local hour angle of Aries he might think you’re talking about a saloon’s opening hour. Back in Naval Flight Training we took a course in celestial, we used the bubble sextant. The reason, if you were to fly over the ocean, back 50 years ago, flying your plane from the West Coast to a West Pac squadron you need all the navigational aids available. Can you imagine, shooting through a turbulent sky at 30,000 and screwing around with the bubble sextant. Most simply relied on the trusty radio direction finder and DR. LORAN was available but still not too reliable, of course you could always shoot a Local Apparent Noon,:smiley:

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);80507] Then 20 years of USN honing his seamanship and leadership skills[/QUOTE]

Obviously

Can Dead Men Vote Twice At Elections

Thats some real navigation!. I’ve shot a bubble sextant too, what a pain in the butt. On the other hand. I miss the days when we did rdf, crossed that with an lop and mixed in a loran sky wave plotted on a chart without loran lines printed on it. At least then you worked for a fix and could take pride in obtaining a good one

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);80526]That some real navigation!. I’ve shot a bubble sextant too, what a pain in the butt. On the other hand. I miss the days when we did rdf, crossed that with an lop and mixed in a loran sky wave plotted on a chart without loran lines printed on it. At least then you worked for a fix and could take pride in obtaining a good one[/QUOTE]

An"inside fix" and "outside fix"plus a PLOP (bet’cha know what that is, but I bet you and I might be the only ones).
Soot the Moon - upper limb - lower limb - don’t shoot your tail light.

I suppose some would take offense to someone " shooting the moon". Other terms from the past are: r-fix, lan, x-meridian, back sight, horizonal sextant angle, Lat from Polaris and so on. I miss those days myself

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);80534]I suppose some would take offense to someone " shooting the moon". Other terms from the past are: r-fix, lan, x-meridian, back sight, horizonal sextant angle, Lat from Polaris and so on. I miss those days myself[/QUOTE]

May I be so bold as to inquire what your sextant error was - not the instrument - your personal fudge factor.
Mine was infinite.
Hey, I wasn’t a Decky at KP - it was fun - all of us loved celestial nav. We even had a state-of-the-art celestial navigation computer room (NAS Corpus Christi) where you worked out your selective stars, oh, don’t forget the local hour angle of you know who, and then used a bubble sextant to obtain your 3 LOP fix - I sucked but I tried.

They passed me anyway.

A war was on.

My personal fudge factor decreased with experiance ,:slight_smile:

20 years to become CO of a Tin Can? That says a lot right there. Had a CO who was Mass Maritime grad and he made the butter bars and Jgs become good ship drivers. Lots of man overboard drills and leap frogs. Hell, we left the pier twice without tugs in Norfolk because they were taking to long. There are some damn fine ship drivers in the USN, but one ‘aw f*#k’ wipes out a thousand ‘atta boys’.