Muster List

Hi All,

I’ve been assigned a task of producing a Muster List for a small yacht (crew of 8). I have a sample of a blank MCA Muster List, but it seems a bit uninspiring and non-specific. So I was wondering if anyone had any examples from their ships/yachts that I could get some inspiration off. Or any advice whatsoever for producing an effective muster list that crew will read and understand easily!

Cheers

James

Hooray, someone who actually gives a damn! Thanks James!

I’ll see what I can dig up. I probably don’t have anything for that few crew, but I bet I got some buddies who do.

Haha… I try. Would appreciate anything you find!

Cheers

James

hai…i’m just a newbie here…apparently i’m having the same assignment from the company…

there are several tugboats and one crewboats (all of them have 8-10 crew)

kindly support and rise up the thread … :slight_smile:

James

I cant contribute but have a related question- aren’t all crew required to ‘sign on’ or ‘make your X’ on some sort of roster? it it the same purpose?

Is the boat Red Ensign flagged? Is it over 24m? Do you charter?

[QUOTE=Horatio;58050]James

I cant contribute but have a related question- aren’t all crew required to ‘sign on’ or ‘make your X’ on some sort of roster? it it the same purpose?[/QUOTE]

I believe a "muster list’ is what Americans call the “emergency station bill” which gives crew assignments in an emergency. The “articles” is what the crew signs when they “sign on”. It is the agreement between the master and the crew with regards the nature of the voyage and wages.

K.C.

I think Kennebec Captain is correct.
Here is a simple one we had on a fishing boat I was on. It had names specified so they would all be absolutely sure. I deleted them for this post. Its pretty simple. We had a 25 man crew. Hope it helps.

FV Pacific Dream

This station bill is to provide a system for the training of crewmembers and others in the duties that they would be required to undertake in the event of any accident to the vessel that may involve a fire or abandonment of the ship. Training will build efficient organization so that in an actual emergency such as a fire, stranding, man overboard or collision. The appropriate crewmembers will immediately proceed to their allotted stations and carry out the duties assigned to them with a practical approach to the emergency at hand. Should the abandonment of the vessel become necessary, they will promptly prepare the life raft for use, warn the other persons on board, and control their movements in the interest of safety.
Mandatory drills required by law will be conducted just as if a real emergency existed, and all persons will muster at their stations for training. If in doubt of your duties, discuss the problem with the senior officer of your department.

FIRE and EMERGENCY, ALARM SIGNAL ¬¬________________________________
Continuous sounding of the ship’s whistle and general alarm bells for not less than 10 seconds, followed by an announcement on the public address system. Upon announcing a fire or emergency, all designated persons onboard will report to their stations and follow the instructions of the ship’s officers. Fire team #1 and #2 members will report to the emergency gear locker and follow the instructions of the senior deck officer. Fire team #3 will report to the muster area on the bridge deck (port side) and standby to support emergency operations such as closing fire doors, portholes, valves, watertight doors, providing medical assistance, etc…

BRIDGE TEAM: DUTIES:
CAPTAIN & Fishing Master (comms) *IN-CHARGE
RADIO OFFICER EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS
2nd OFFICER SHIP POSITION AND PORTABLE COMMS/SARTS

ENGINE ROOM TEAM: DUTIES:
CHIEF ENG *IN CHARGE of Engine Room fires (Engine Control Room)
1ST ENGINEER INVESTIGATOR for Engine Room fires (2ND IN CHARGE)
2ND ENGINEER SECURE POWER & VENTILATION as required
2ND ENGINEER LINE UP FIRE PUMPS and verify all Eng Rm fire doors are closed.

TEAMS #1 & #2 WILL MUSTER AT THE EMERGENCY GEAR LOCKER AND REPORT TO BRIDGE WHEN READY.
FIRE TEAMS 1&2: DUTIES:
1ST OFFICER (comms) *IN CHARGE TEAM #1; 0n scene Investigator
3RD MATE *IN CHARGE TEAM #2; Back up on scene Investigator
SAILOR Fire Team #1 (HOSE/NOZZLE)
BOSUN Fire Team #1 (HOSE/NOZZLE)
ENGINE MAN Fire Team #1 (HOSE/NOZZLE)
ELECTRICIAN Fire Team #1 (HOSE/NOZZLE)
SAILOR Fire Team #1, Fire station set-ups and valve tender
ENGINE MAN Fire Team #2, (HOSE/NOZZLE) Back up team #1 CO2 Extinguisher
SAILOR Fire Team #2, (HOSE/NOZZLE) Back up team #1 Fire Axe
REFER ENGINEER Fire Team #2, Fire station set-ups and valve tender

TEAM #3 WILL MUSTER ON THE BRIDGE DECK UNDER THE LIFE RAFT (PORTSIDE) AND REPORT TO BRIDGE WHEN READY
FIRE TEAM #3: DUTIES:
ENGINE MAN *IN CHARGE OF TEAM 3 AND Crew Evacuation
SAILOR Fire Team #3, Assist as directed
COOK Deliver 1st AID KIT where required
SAILOR EVACUATIONS AND NOTIFICATION, THEN MUSTER
ENGINE MAN EVACUATIONS AND NOTIFICATION, THEN MUSTER
Fisheries Obs. Assist as directed

TEAM #3 WILL MUSTER ON THE BRIDGE DECK UNDER THE LIFE RAFT (PORTSIDE) AND REPORT TO BRIDGE WHEN READY

ABANDON SHIP SIGNAL _ _ _ _ _ _ _________
Six or more simultaneous short blasts of the ship’s whistle and general alarm bell followed by a long simultaneous blast of the whistle and general alarm. An announcement is then made on the public address system for all persons to report to the abandon ship musters station. Upon announcing abandon ship, all persons on board will wear their life preserver, and report to the muster station on the port side of the Bridge Deck.

Life raft will be lowered to the water and prepared for boarding. All persons will follow the directions of the boat commander. No person will launch the life raft unless a direct order to abandon ship is given by the Master.
1st Officer in charge of launch of life raft
2nd Officer assist as directed with launch of life raft; in charge of muster
Radio Officer assist as directed with muster

DISMISSAL FROM DRILL–3 SHORT BLASTS OF THE WHISTLE AND BELLS.
MAN OVERBOARD–3 PROLONGED (4-6sec) BLASTS ON THE WHISTLE AND BELLS.
Hail and pass the words, “MAN OVERBOARD” to the bridge and to other nearby persons.