MSC Is Short ALL Ratings

It’s in 5 CFR § 630.703 - Computation of shore leave. Basically that CFR needs to be changed, as I understand it, as far as more paid leave. Now, letting people do 4 on 2 off using LWOP may be a different story, I’m not sure. I think they’ve tried to do that, but then they look at the overdue people and then shut anything like that down.

According to what a MEBA rep for MSC told me years ago, any change in leave or other major policies literally takes an act of congress. Since most members of congress are not even aware of what MSC is or does, good luck with that.

msc as an organization is probably on its way to being scrapped. it used to be a couple of dysfunctional ships that everyone would know about/stay away from. today theres about a handful of worthwhile ships to crew and those are homesteaded anyway.

How could MSC go anywhere? It’s a major part of our national security measures, not to mention the largest employer of US mariners
Mismanagement won’t take them out of business, they are the government

2 Likes

How could MSC go anywhere? It’s a major part of our national security measures, not to mention the largest employer of US mariners
Mismanagement won’t take them out of business, they are the government

Deep sea rotations are brutal. Hats off to everyone who can sail like that. I would think shorter rotations where applicable would help fill some of the shortages. With the benefits offered, I would jump in a heartbeat on a 2 month on/off rotation.

1 Like

You can probably get more money and a shorter schedule on an oil rig.

2 Likes

With Palmela Handerson by my side, and my waifu pillow under my arm, I can trip to the moon.

1 Like

MSC has had the same problem for decades. Before I was hired, the rotation was a year on and 30 days off. When I was hired it was 6 months on and one off and good luck getting a relief on time. One problem is that it is run by the Navy. My last tour in the Navy was with MSCO Subic. I was tasked to brief two Navy Captains on the operations and stressed that they were dealing with civilians on the ships. I was the first person to leave the command who didn’t receive a letter of appreciation because the acting CO said that I stood up in front of two Navy Captains and told them it was a civilian organizaton.

2 Likes