MSC Captain Relieved

The captain of an MSC ship damaged during a collision in the Gulf Of Mexico has been relieved of command and is facing charges, the Navy announced Tuesday.
Investigators say that the Captain was negligent in his duties — resulting in the USS Quandry colliding with a Mobile Offshore Drilling unit.

“It wasn’t my goddamn fault,” said Captain Williams. “I’m being railroaded for this crap. I had the right of way.”

The collision occurred 21 miles off the coast of Port Fourchon. Twelve sailors aboard the Quandry were injured. Two crew members of the MODU were thrown overboard. Their bodies were never found.

As a result of the accident, Captain Joe Williams was relieved of command, and is facing charges of involuntary manslaughter which could result in him being promoted and sent on 10 years mandatory shore duty at MSC headquarters.

Investigators contend their decision was based upon the fact that the collision “happened on his watch.”

“We have always held the Captain at fault in accidents. Hell, if we didn’t pin this on the Captain, where would all the finger-pointing stop, at some Admiral or God forbid, the President?” said Admiral Jonathan W. Greenert, Chief of Naval Operations.

”We have to nip all future claims of damages in the bud, and the Captain is as good a scapegoat as any to keep the lawyers off our asses.”

Captain Williams is adamant in denying responsibility.

“I had six cups of coffee with dinner and I really needed to hit the head. The only crew member on the bridge with me at the time was Boatswain’s Mate (BM) Phillips. I told him to just sit there and not touch anything and I’d be back shortly.”
Soon after, Williams saw a MODU 1500 yards ahead and decided the MSC had the right of way. "The MODU was off my port bow and appeared to be crossing ahead of us. We were both restricted in ability to maneuver so I clearly had the right of way!"
An eye witness aboard the MSC ships said “Seeing the ships heading for a collision our dumb-ass captain, rather than take evasive action, the ass-wipe started screaming ‘hit the brakes – hit the brakes!’ Then he ran outside to yell a warning to the tanker.”
Investigators report a slightly different story, alleging that Williams had left the bridge 45 minutes prior to the collision to “take a leak” and got distracted. After the collision, the Captain was reportedly found in a ward room with Lt. Betsy Overman, the ship’s Morale Officer.
The Quandry’s XO, Commander Samantha O’Heara, defended the Captains actions.
“Hell, we’ve been floating around out here for over six months with no shore leave. The Captain may be considered a real asshole by most of the crew, but even assholes need to drink coffee, take leaks and chase some tail.”

The only problem I have with this summary is the 45 mins to take a leak. It takes me at least 50, that on a good day, and I’m in my prime.
There is something fishy with this Captain’s story.

I need to check my Calenders , April fools day is still a bit away.

[QUOTE=Pilot;100394]I need to check my Calenders , April fools day is still a bit away.[/QUOTE]

Close enuf for us Merchant Seamen.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;100389]The only problem I have with this summary is the 45 mins to take a leak. It takes me at least 50, that on a good day, and I’m in my prime.
There is something fishy with this Captain’s story.[/QUOTE]

Well when you are an MSC captain you have to sneek around a bit, tell people you’re only going “number 1” and always carry some lysol spray around with you. Otherwise people might figure out that your shit DOES stink.

[QUOTE=Pilot;100394]I need to check my Calenders , April fools day is still a bit away.[/QUOTE]

EVERY day is April Fool’s Day!

[QUOTE=albertpachino;100414]Well when you are an MSC captain you have to sneek around a bit, tell people you’re only going “number 1” and always carry some lysol spray around with you. Otherwise people might figure out that your shit DOES stink.[/QUOTE]

So that’s why Captain O’Reilly stunk like Aqua Velva.

the truth my friends is often so much more pungent than fiction

[B]Who Cut the Cheese? [/B]
A year after a UM research vessel ran aground on a protected reef, a persistent odor lingers
By Kirk Semple Thursday, Aug 17 1995

The University of Miami had plenty to be embarrassed about a year ago, when their oceanographic research vessel, the Columbus Iselin, smashed into a fragile reef in the Florida Keys. The accident severely damaged four of the federally protected reef’s delicate spur-and-groove formations, fingerlike coral structures that have taken centuries to form. In a bitter irony, at the time of the grounding the vessel was carrying a group of marine researchers from around the world.

UM now faces the very real possibility of having to pay millions of dollars in restitution. The fate of the ship, which reportedly suffered more than $500,000 worth of damage and is docked in Fort Pierce, is uncertain. And with the Columbus Iselin no longer in service, more than a dozen employees of UM’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, which operates the 170-foot vessel, have been laid off.

The official cause of the August 10, 1994, grounding, according to a U.S. Coast Guard investigator, was “negligence.” The investigator, Chief Warrant Officer Russ Baer, says that at the time of the incident both the ship’s captain, Michael Dick, and the helmsman, John Cawley, had left the wheel house. “The master wasn’t paying close enough attention to the circumstances surrounding him, as a prudent mariner should at all times,” Baer explains.
To some, however, that explanation carries a whiff of incompleteness. Ever since the incident, a malodorous rumor has lingered regarding the reason the two men simultaneously abandoned the ship’s controls: One of them, it is said, passed gas.

A recently published report in a national maritime-trade publication fanned the flatulence theory. “Two crew members have indicated that both the captain and [the helmsman] on watch had walked out to separate bridge wings just before the grounding because of offensive odors in the relatively confined wheel house of [the vessel],” reads an item in the June/July issue of the Portland, Maine-based Professional Mariner.[/B]

The article does not identify the two crew members. The author, magazine editor Gregory Walsh, says he heard the rumor from a Columbus Iselin crew member who called about an unrelated matter. Maritime accident reports, Walsh adds, are a staple of Professional Mariner’s industry coverage.

[B]Several UM employees who were either aboard the ship during its fateful voyage or were associated with the vessel tell New Times they heard the rumor, but all are unable (or unwilling) to confirm it. Coast Guard investigator Baer says he doesn’t know why the two men vacated the wheel house and that by the time he got wind of the rumor – about four months ago, he recalls, Professional Mariner asked him to comment about it – he’d already closed his investigation, so he didn’t pursue the matter. “From the Coast Guard’s perspective we simply see it as a negligence issue,” says Baer. “From our perspective, the case is closed. No matter if flatulence is an issue or not, the negligence would still be there.”[/B]

A UM spokeswoman, however, says that she heard the flatulence account during the course of the university’s investigation and that both the captain and the helmsman denied it. “That’s not what happened, that’s not accurate,” sniffs attorney Lourdes La Paz, deputy general counsel and secretary of UM. La Paz adds that there’s “a plausible reason” for the two men to have been on the bridge, but she declines to supply it.

The accident occurred at night, while the Columbus Iselin was running scientific tests less than a mile from the reef in Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary, south of Big Pine Key. According to the Coast Guard’s Baer, scientists told Capt. Michael Dick that their testing equipment had malfunctioned. But when the captain brought the ship around and headed back toward its original position to recommence the tests, the vessel overran the mark and crashed into the reef. “There were buoys all around there,” a September 8, 1994 Miami Herald article quoted Dick as saying. “I was going to execute a turn to bring us up on the survey point, and I stepped outside to check my position, and when I came back in to execute the turn, that’s when we got our first bump.”

Besides negligence, the Coast Guard charged Dick with violating a regulation that forbids touching sanctuary reefs. Instead of enduring a public disciplinary hearing, Dick voluntarily forfeited his captain’s license. (Neither he nor helmsman John Cawley, who was not charged with any violations, could be reached for comment for this article.)

Designated in 1981, the Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary boasts one of the best developed spur-and-groove formations within the Florida Keys reef tract and is one of the nation’s most popular diving sites. This past month, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), which manages the marine sanctuary, announced that UM had paid a civil penalty of $200,000, the result of a negotiated settlement for violating sanctuary regulations. Attorneys for both sides say they are still working out the amount UM must pay for damages to the reef and the cost of restoring destroyed resources and habitats.

NOAA and UM officials won’t speculate about the possible amount of the damage payments. The case of two ships that ran aground in Key Largo National Marine Sanctuary in 1989, however, might provide some indication. The owner of one ship settled for $1.4 million, while the other paid $2.3 million

Best “Press Release” I’ve read in a while :wink: