Military to Mariner

Your thoughts on this bill-

There is a path but it’s not an easy one. I’m not sure what the specifics will be with this bill, but I do believe that anyone who is a Qualified Cutter Boat Coxswain (or equivalent in other branches) should be eligible for FRC, and Military Shipboard EMTs should meet the requirement for Med Care Provider. The USCG is already very generous in granting credit for military seatime (for qualified ratings), especially if you are a DWO going for your 3rd Mate. Either way, I’m glad to see this bill in progress.

Because we all know the industry is in dire need of more workers…

[QUOTE=Hooligansailor;162522]Your thoughts on this bill-

http://news.usni.org/2015/05/18/defense-bill-creates-path-from-navy-coast-guard-to-maritime-industry-jobs[/QUOTE]

The “path” was always there and is not being significantly changed. What this bill does is compel military services to provide acceptable documentation of military sea service and to pursue having their various training programs evaluated for approval for merchnat mariner endorsements. There is no reason why the services could not have done this in the past, this bill only provides encouragement to do it now. The Coast Guard is already working on this, there were similar provisions in the last “Coast Guard Authorization Act.” The authorization act is the legislation that funds the Coast Guard, but it typically includes many provisions relating to other things involving the Coast Guard, for example the increase in permissible tonnages for OSVs was accomplished via an authorization act.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=ebaker;162527]There is a path but it’s not an easy one. I’m not sure what the specifics will be with this bill, but I do believe that anyone who is a Qualified Cutter Boat Coxswain (or equivalent in other branches) should be eligible for FRC, and Military Shipboard EMTs should meet the requirement for Med Care Provider. The USCG is already very generous in granting credit for military seatime (for qualified ratings), especially if you are a DWO going for your 3rd Mate. Either way, I’m glad to see this bill in progress.[/QUOTE]

The Coast Guard is very actively working on this. In less than a year they have received approval from the NMC for 10 different training programs.

And of course the fact that any military member in any Rating or Job can always use their GI Bill to attend a State Maritime Academy.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;162547]And of course the fact that any military member in any Rating or Job can always use their GI Bill to attend a State Maritime Academy.[/QUOTE]

Even if it means spending four or more years that includes courses in stuff you’ve already learned and done…? What if they have more than enough sea time to qualify via the hawse pipe and aren’t inetersted in a college degree (maybe they already have one) - is it OK that their choices are only to go to an academy or pay out of pocket for courses that may be duplicative of what they had in the military?

I hawsepiped up from the military- in fact, with a pretty huge time gap (think decades) so it can be done.

Well I’m mostly speaking to the ratings that will have no applicable experience or at best minimal.

-Update-

If they were to incorporate USCG:Basic Survival Training into Navy boot camp, it would be really easy to make the necessary adjustments but it’d be expired or very close to expiration when an enlisted person gets out. It might be easier to get officer’s and Senior Ratings or NCOs the equivalent Certifications, but even then what good is it unless the Service-member stays on top of their credentials while they’re in service.

When I went this route, Navy’s Boot Camp met the requirements for BST however Coast Guards’ did not. Also, the Navy PQS for Helm/Lookout could be used to satisfy the RFPNW requirement. Not sure if this is still the case though.

http://news.usni.org/2015/05/18/defense-bill-creates-path-from-navy-coast-guard-to-maritime-industry-jobs[/QUOTE]

Seems like a small change that would make it easier for vets to get credentialed. Aside for a slight burden to the services I don’t see a downside.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;162560]Well I’m mostly speaking to the ratings that will have no applicable experience or at best minimal.

-Update-

If they were to incorporate USCG:Basic Survival Training into Navy boot camp, …[/QUOTE]

Navy enlisted boot camp has been accepted for all of STCW BST except for a small portion on survival suits since 2002. The gap on survival suits can be made up with a 2 hour couyrse offered by several schools.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=ebaker;162562]…Also, the Navy PQS for Helm/Lookout could be used to satisfy the RFPNW requirement. Not sure if this is still the case though.[/QUOTE]

It is. …

The act is here (it’s no longer a bill, it passed and was signed. It’s now law):

The relevant parts are in Sec. 305. OSV types may be interested in Sec. 315. My favorite is Sec. 611.

[QUOTE=catherder;162558]I hawsepiped up from the military- in fact, with a pretty huge time gap (think decades) so it can be done.I hawsepiped up from the military- in fact, with a pretty huge time gap (think decades) so it can be done.
“Captain” Cajaya: “Research ships are for pu$$ies. Literally.”

-5/19/2015 (and promptly deleted by admin)
Share on Facebook
Reply Reply With Quote Thanks
Quick Repl[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cajaya;162607][/QUOTE]

Two PhDs eh?

In what, trolling?

Are you butthurt? Would you like some butt lube for that butthurt?

Go away you fucking loon. I didn’t get your post removed. Go cry to the admin about it.

And yeah, that’s exactly what you said, but I know it’s hard to remember when you’re in a blackout.

[QUOTE=lm1883;162609]The funniest thing I read all day! Thanks Cats![/QUOTE]

I thought her colorful comment was pretty humorous and was a little peeved that it was removed…so I thought I’d quote for posterity for awhile…after all, those PhDs are always lookin’ to get published, right?

lol!

I updated my sig line because I’m starting to think you deleted your post there, Ms. Dr. Captain Admiral Commodore Chief Engineer PhD (2 times!!) Cajaya.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;162579]The act is here (it’s no longer a bill, it passed and was signed. It’s now law):

The relevant parts are in Sec. 305. OSV types may be interested in Sec. 315. My favorite is Sec. 611.[/QUOTE]

So oilers are no longer forbidden from working 12 hour days and can thus get day-and-a-half credit for the 12 hour days they were working anyway?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;173386]So oilers are no longer forbidden from working 12 hour days and can thus get day-and-a-half credit for the 12 hour days they were working anyway?[/QUOTE]

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/pdfs/engine_service_announcement.pdf

[QUOTE=jdcavo;173584]http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/pdfs/engine_service_announcement.pdf[/QUOTE]

Yes, I found that announcement a few days ago. Thanks for posting it for everyone though, I forgot.

The extension of the recency of sea time to seven year for qualified military service is a step in the right direction. I hope that more training will be accepted to qualify for STCW assessments. RFPNW is a rather low bar.