Military Sealift Command lockdown

Any increase in resignations and quitting since the start of lockdown? There are some sources that say folks are walking off the gangway and some are being talked to to stay for a little while longer.

I think more than a few are expediting their retirements if they have the time and age. Why hang around with this policy? Many will not quit/resign. They can’t afford the loss of income and will be hard pressed finding work that pays this good.

2 Likes

Factoring cost of living and food, I would argue no one else would pay them on that level not even Federal jobs. No chance on the Private sector in current market climates.

Mates and Engine department maybe with other shipping companies but not in the office.

Highly doubt most of the other non-Mate/Engineer tracked has any chance against the hundreds of thousands that graduate every year entering the workforce plus all the express Greencard programs for PhD holders and those with expertise from foreign countries.

No shortage of good hired help in the regular job market in a postmodern Capitalistic society.

1 Like

Quarantine don’t suck, at least for me. Luxury resort with pool and ocean views, food delivered ain’t terrible. Two 30 minute rec periods.

Ya can’t go into town, but things change after 5 days if your swab is clean. You can go to your ship. But…if that ship ain’t there yet you’ll transfer to another even nicer resort and you are given more freedom at the resort but still can’t go into town. You just have to practice social distancing. Food deliveries are allowed. Your results may vary…

Met some Edison Chouest guys on the overseas flight. MSC will allow them to quarantine on-board. They will be fully separated from the current guys, opposing watch I guess.

1 Like

Can you tell us what country /resort you are at ?

1 Like

Angeles City. :smirk:

1 Like

Two folks in a pre-assignment ROM bubble just tested positive. There’s about sixty people on that ship. That’ll hold up reliefs further.

1 Like

Current process for a 5th fleet assignment is a navy flight from Norfolk to Bahrain, a 3 week quarantine in a Bahrain hotel/apartment (no exiting the room). Then 2 more weeks quarantine aboard assigned vessel before actually working.

The Bahrain government requires a 2 week general quarantine for all entering the country, and Bahrain tests you at airport. Will call you if result is positive.

So far no mention of the US Navy testing anyone. I think quarantine time have been halved through the use of testing. Hotel is $241 and per diem $122 per day, $7,623 for the 21 days. There’s drive through testing in the US so the navy should be up to the task.