Might be in at Cruise West, fingers crossed

I went to the Cruise West job fair today in Seattle looking to get on as a deckhand and think I did very well. I have been trying to get a wiper job for awhile, even registered with Kelly Sweeney, and so far no luck. So I thought I’d give them a try because #1 its a job, #2 its some experience for my lack of practical experience, #3 it will take me until I hopefully start Seattle Maritime Academy’s QMED program in the fall, and #4 its a job. They took me aside at the end and did a quick interview and chat for about 20mins. Background check tomorrow and then we shall see what happens.

There was only about 15people (only 3 looking for deck/engine work) in my group and some of them don’t really have a chance. I was amazed how bad some people are at speaking to a small group of people, especially when they are looking to get a customer service rep. job. Some were just shocking.

Kingrobby-

Good luck- hope you get it.:slight_smile:

I went to a cruisewest job fair in Portland 0n 2-04.

About 30 people initially- 15 or so left after the break. I thought cruisewest was very honest and upfront about the work involved.

Of the 15 who stayed 12 were looking for gsr (waiter/housekeeper) jobs.

2 others were looking for deckhand.

One older guy said he was an able bodied seaman- but seemed baffled when I asked him if it was a special, limited, or unlimited.

Another guy had been a bosun in the Navy- 10 years ago.

I don’t think either had a twic…

At the end of the job fair we were told- that they usually did interviews- but due to time constraints- we would be called instead.

They stopped me on the way out and asked about which ships I had sailed on- and seemed happy I was familiar with small ships and their itineraries…

Didn’t hear anything for a week- then they called.

I did a phone interview- which I felt went well…

At the end I asked about the next step- was told I would get a call by the end of the next week for a 2nd interview- if they were interested.

But…the end of the week came and went- haven’t heard anything yet…

I’m surprised

1- that there weren’t more people applying (especially for deckhand) and

2-That I’ve applied several times and not been hired

Maybe they just run the job fairs- but don’t hire?:confused:

I have an interview with Alaska State Ferries in Seattle on Saturday- hopefully I get hired :slight_smile:

Interesting experience for you… I too am surprised that some people applying for deckhand don’t seem to know what is required or what documents they need. One guy was a civil engineer looking to be an assistant engineer on the boats. I don’t know everything, but i don’t think a civil engineering degree is going to be too helpful on a boat. Should have seen his eyes when she said TWIC, he was like “uh, what???”.

The Cruise West guy said that the ships are getting ready for sea over the next month or so, two already being readied, and that job training usually starts a few weeks before they start actively sailing. Maybe they will give you a call soon. :slight_smile:

At the MSC job fair I went to there were about 5 “old timers” with lots of experience but they still had entry level MMD’s. Seriously, these guys were in their late 40’s to early 60’s and they never had time or inclination to upgraded there licenses from OS/Wiper/Steward. One guy thought he had a tankerman endorsement but it turned out to be a letter saying he completed a class and could test for it, he then proceeded to argue with the recruiter about it for a few minutes insisting he had the endorsement.

Good luck Guys,I hope it works out for you:D

Thanks captain!

I’m lucky- I’ve had several interviews recently- and have several scheduled- so I think the odds are good of landing something:)

Have a blessed day-Anthony

At the MSC job fair I went to there were about 5 “old timers” with lots of experience but they still had entry level MMD’s. Seriously, these guys were in their late 40’s to early 60’s and they never had time or inclination to upgraded there licenses from OS/Wiper/Steward. One guy thought he had a tankerman endorsement but it turned out to be a letter saying he completed a class and could test for it, he then proceeded to argue with the recruiter about it for a few minutes insisting he had the endorsement.

When I started in this industry in the late 60’s it was not unusual to have “older” guys as life long sailors. They were great sailors! I learned a great deal from them. Allot of guys today don’t even know what marlinespike seamanship is! Nowadays it seems it’s about how fast you can climb the ladder instead of how good a sailor you are.

[QUOTE=Boatahaulic;27788]When I started in this industry in the late 60’s it was not unusual to have “older” guys as life long sailors. They were great sailors! I learned a great deal from them. Allot of guys today don’t even know what marlinespike seamanship is! Nowadays it seems it’s about how fast you can climb the ladder instead of how good a sailor you are.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that many people that are great at their jobs may not have the formal education/licenses, but why wouldn’t a veteran, skilled mariner upgrade their license? It seems that today everything is about what license or certificate you hold, do wouldn’t it be in their best interest to upgrade.

I don’t have a problem with anyone upgrading. Some guys are happy just being good sailors without the stress of the wheelhouse. I do have a problem with people Dissing sailors that choose to be sailors.

I just had to add my two cents to this particular conversation :slight_smile:

Exactly! That’s how I was in the Navy. When I got to E-4 – which happens in less than 3 years usually, on a submarine, which is what I was on – sometimes E-5s or E-6s would give me an order, expecting me to delegate it, then were surprised that I did it myself. I just didn’t, and still don’t, want to be a manager. I like being below the radar, just doing my own stuff, only responsible for myself. I was far from being the perfect sonar tech, but I was qualified several watches by the time I got out: basic sonar, advanced sonar, Petty Officer of the Deck, Topside Watch, Belowdecks Watch, Torpedo Handling Team Member, Fathometer, Lookout, Helm/Planes (on a submarine there are two helmsmen, one is usually controlling depth, the other, course)…

I do have a problem with people Dissing sailors that choose to be sailors.

Well personally I am not in any place to diss anyone on this board, since I have zero sea time on a civilian ship, and only 1 year total sea time on a submarine (4 yrs total in the USN). So, that’s all you guys…lol.

I love going to sea, though. I hated the military aspects, you know, yes sir, no sir, but going to sea, that part was awesome to me.

–Brian

Brian- welcome aboard:)

I hope my comments above didn’t seem critical- wasn’t my intent. I’m in my 20’s so pretty much everyone is older/more experienced than me:D

I’ve noticed that many (most) of my previous bosuns are long time sailors. They could easily be mates-or captains- but love working on deck. And they are VERY good at what they do. I’ve always felt that if you find something you love- and are well paid to do it- stick with it.

Kingrobby-I agree with upgrading- to have more options- and easier to get a deck job- especially in a tough market.

But there are of guys with higher licenses- who want to stay as a bosun.

My 2nd bosun in particular comes to mind. He loved working deck. He had a mate’s license- but couldn’t see himself stuck at the helm all day. I learned a lot from him…

My surprise regarding Cruisewest was twofold- first-

there weren’t many people applying for deck- period. I get messages,calls, and emails all the time from experienced people looking for a deckhand job. I recommend Cruisewest every time. I was worried that I’d be competing against 50 people, many more experienced, for the job.

Secondly- the cruise lines usually attract college aged people who aren’t looking for a career- just a Summer job- thought I’d see more of this- and I didn’t.

I’m not complaining- better chances for me;)

But… I just wonder how many of the dozens of people I keep hearing from- are SERIOUSLY looking for work.

I just got back from another interview with AMHS. (Went well- fingers crossed:))

They are hiring entry level. Was only there a while- but I only saw 2 other people there!

The guy preceding me didn’t have BST- I’m not sure but don’t think he had ANY experience- and they sounded interested in him.

Long story short- I’m shocked at the lack of turnout when so many are without work or trying to get a foot in the door:confused:

Are they still paying like, 12 bucks an hour and no tips?

Well, so much for good feelings. I called Cruise West yesterday about the background check they were supposed to send out on Friday. The receptionist said she was sick Friday and was catching up, said I would have it by the end of the day yesterday

That didn’t happen, and today I get an email saying they are unable to hire me at this time. Kinda strange since they were offering the same position last year.

But some good news, I leave to go on the Norwegian Star this weekend. I used to be an acrobat on there and a problem developed with whoever they had out there and offered me the job. I was trying to leave that career behind and start my Engineering career. This contract will allow me to go right into Seattle Maritime Academies QMED program in September if everything works out. So I will be on a ship for 5months, but won’t get any sea time, but it’s a job and lots of people don’t have them right now.

Well… can’t sure whether to say sorry- or congratulations:o

I still haven’t heard anything back from them- I guess I’ll try again.

Congrats on finding work- If you’re going to the Star this time of year you’ll be doing the Seattle to Dawes Glacier (Alaska) run- which is beautiful.

I’ve only sailed on NCL’s US flagged ships- I’d be interested in hearing your experiences on the Star. It’s a beautiful ship.

Here’s a link to Star’s web[U]page- http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/shipInformation.html?shipCode=STAR[/U]

Good luck:)

Thanks anyway, the ship is very fun to work on if you are doing my job, other jobs not so much. I did this same itinerary in the 2007 Alaska season, lots of beautiful scenery and neat things to see. Plus, my family lives in Tacoma(just south of Seattle), so I can get visitors to come onboard again which is always fun.

I will do 2 months in Mexico & then head to Alaska. Did it all in 2007 but slightly different Mexican itinerary. The engineering onboard is very interesting down below, upstairs the ship is very nice and overall not too big.

I know the Chief Engineer on there so maybe I can scam some time down below.

Like I said it’s some steady, easy, good paying work, and not very many people seem to be hiring, especially entry level guys like me.

I posted up some pictures of my time on the Star in the pictures section of this website, have a look. It also just came out of drydock in Victoria, so it will be all squeaky clean when I get on.