Metric vs Imperial systems

whats BAR, imperial?

So I put my 1000kg parcel on a 1 metre by 1 metre pallet on the floor but now have to work out in newtowns if its too heavy for that floor.

1000 Kg x 9.81 m/s^2 = 9810 N
area 1 x 1 = 1m2

pressure = 9810 N / 1 m^2 = 9810 Pa.

So complicated…

I’ll get that printed on a card for every forklift along with a calculator for the drivers, yep thats simple.

well if a calculator is needed for that…

1 Like

no problem most driving a forklift here in asia are illiterate.
You can do a verbal exam for your license like most licences in asia.

I think Scott Manley said it best:

There are two kinds of countries: Those who use the metric system, and those who used the metric system to land on the moon and the later crashed a space probe into Mars because they confused metric and imperial units.

5 Likes

I’ve seen this happen with different ways to express lat-long . I was dispatched to supervise a dive operation and there was no dive team at the location at the appointed time. The lat-long in minutes was somehow written using decimal points instead by the dive barge company. The resulting snafu was a monumental waste of resources.

You have a very negative view on most things, especially anything Asian.
Any facts and figures to back up your claim??

Source: Scuba Diving Terms - A Dummies Guide | Underwater Asia

Geez, live and work in asia and you will find many foreign workers cant read, hence just about every license they need in Singapore can be obtained verbally in many languages.
I cant believe you do not know that?

I have met a few local workers too that struggle. According to the Department of Statistics, in 2020, there were about 283,000 Singapore residents aged 15-64 years old who are illiterate in English.

https://www.theunitconverter.com › bar-to-atmospheres-conversion › 1-bar-to-atmospheres.html
Bar : The bar is a unit of measurement for pressure. It is widely used in the daily life particularly in European countries, though that is a non-SI unit. 1 bar is equal to 100,000 Pascals, which is close approximately to atmospheric pressure, so it is often used to represent atmospheric pressure rather than standard atmosphere (101325 Pascals).

There is much confusion about different measurements for the same length, weight etc. I thing it’s silly and expensive. There is nothing nationalistic about math, just choose one standard and get on with it.
The most ignorant thing I have run across lately is the measurement in SE Asia of air conditioning. It is measured in horsepower. When I finally got a conversion from their definition of hp to BTU, Kcal and joules it made no practical sense.Insanity

1 Like

US air conditioning is measured in tons, where one ton is equivalent to a ton of ice melted/frozen in 24 hours.

2 Likes

The fundamental problem in asia is there are no tradesmen and no compulsory technical training.
You can do various courses but in the main 99% dont.

“Illiterate in English” doesn’t mean that they are not able to read and write in another of the 4 official languages in Singapore, with Bahasa Malayu being the “national language”.
I’m sure you have seen these?:

For tourist:
A warning sign in the four official languages of Singapore that is found in all Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) stations

Yes sure there are language signs in public but rare in the workplace.

Thats were you find out when you question a supervisor about someone and he says sorry that guys illiterate, then you say hang on he is driving the truck, yes, verbal license test…
One of the MPA instructors can speak Urdu, so when an employer has a group they run urdu training and exams for port boat driving licenses. ( Thats a foreign worker issue)
Singapore allowed eldest son to leave school early to support the family, it has really hurt those that did.

Now try to explain metric and imperial, they cant even read a tape measure.
Singapore all about cheap labour

Some USA states. used to have trade schools but not much funding support for them for many years now.

The good ones are still around (at least here). The for-profit scam schools are thankfully going by the wayside.

You must live in a different Singapore from the one I spent most of my life living in.
Sure, in the 1960s and 70s things were different than today, with people of different ethic background, or even from different Chinese dialect groups, being unable to communicate with each other. They were living in separate kampongs and the kids went to schools using different language of learning.

In todays Singapore all people under 50 know at least 2 languages, English and their “mother tongue” (i.e. Mandarin, Malay or Tamil) and in many case at least one or more Chinese dialects.

It is true that foreign workers gets safety training in their native language before they are allowed to start working in Singapore, but why in Urdu??
Urdu is mainly spoken in Pakistan and parts of North India, Very few foreign workers in Singapore come from there. (Bengali is a more relevant language)

In Singapore there are Polytechnic Schools that teach various skills and trades to local and overseas students.

For foreign workers it is possible to attend training courses to upgrade their skills and marketability. Many leave Singapore with skills to start their own business in their home countries, or to become PR in S’pore.:

One private company offering such training is this one:

Certainly, living and working in Singapore, you have to know this?? (If you want to, that is)

I think you lost a decade or two…

no, people over 50 are most likely to speak multiple languages and dialects
If I just look at my brothers and sisters in laws ( all over 50) all speak 3-4 languages and several dialects, their kids, very few can even speak mother tongue, some very poor at mandarin. Its all English.
The speak mandarin campaign trashed mother tongue so the kids lost that and with perhaps no mandarin speakers at home never mastered that.

They do know the metric system and clueless about imperial.

so what part of that comment cant you read?
You reply post made what point?

You need both systems.
Many parts of the imperial system were invented to suit engineering. ( nuts bolts and threads etc)
Many parts of metric are just fudged inventions to suit the change. ( nuts bolts and threads etc)

Pressure, the metric system cant decide what to use
Force they cant decide what to use as its mass based.

1 Like