Merchant mariner schooling?

Hello everyone I have been reading through a lot of your threads and just have a quick question. How long is the average mariner schooling like say if I went to the one in Maine? I am vey new at this and just got out the navy as an engine man and would like to use my post 9/11 gi bill to go to one of these school I just don’t know to much about them. Thank you for your time.

Four to five years. Thanks for your service.

Are you planning to get your qmed, or do you want to go or your license?

Well I just recently got my twic card and sent the application to Miami with my sea service transcripts to Miami to try to get my approved to test letter to become qmed qualified but I would also like to get my license . How long would it take to get my license if I wanted to get it? And obviously you get paid more with a license rater than bein just qmed qualified right?

Making more as a licensed officer? Generally yes. I’m not sure about your navy time for exam taking. I needed 180 days wiper time to take my qmed. You then need 3 years qmed time to sit for your thirds.

I am planning on getting my license but want to know of some good school to go to ? And also is it hard to accepted to those schools??

[QUOTE=drod2214;93823]I am planning on getting my license but want to know of some good school to go to ? And also is it hard to accepted to those schools??[/QUOTE]

The USCG, Congress, the maritime academies, and their alumnae have worked very hard for a very long time to stack the deck against hawsepipers, and give every possible advantage to academy grads. They have been very successful.

Kings Point is difficult to get into, but one would hope that veteran would have an advantage. The state maritime academies take just about everyone.

I highly recommend going to an academy — if you can.

Tugsailor when u say academy could you be a little more specific. I know I might be asking a very stupid questions but I am new to a lot of this. Could you name some accredited academies I could attend and would accept my gi bill for tuition?

Massachusetts Maritime Academy

Maine Maritime Academy

State University New York Maritime

California Maritime Academy

Texas Maritime Academy

Great Lakes Maritime Academy

Just type maritime academy in your search engine!

They’re all 4 year degree programs with your unlimited license.

I hope you don’t mind me butting in with a question, but I’m new here and your question in on the lines of mine.

I was with the DOD and now that contracts are getting harder to come by, an acquaintance suggested that I join the Merchant Mariners. He was with the SIU and told me to give them a call and so I did; I’m now at Phase 2 of the application process for the Unlicensed Apprentice Program.

My question is, is the SIU a good school? I’m in Florida, are there other options? ’ I’m in my mid to late 30’s, am I too old to see decent advancement? I made great money with the DOD, $120K+ year, is the money comparable?

Thank you.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;93836]The USCG, Congress, the maritime academies, and their alumnae have worked very hard for a very long time to stack the deck against hawsepipers, and give every possible advantage to academy grads. They have been very successful.

Kings Point is difficult to get into, but one would hope that veteran would have an advantage. The state maritime academies take just about everyone.

I highly recommend going to an academy — if you can.[/QUOTE]

Its still not too bad as an engineer, to be honest. I myself am a hawsepiper and have done so fairly recently. I think the biggest obstacle for hawsepipers entering the industry is that there aren’t very many QMED jobs out there, and there tends to be “lifers” in those spots. IF you can get a job as a QMED out the gate, don’t bother with the academy, but try and get on an unlimited horsepower vessel. You’ll make good money while getting (arguably) a better education on the ship, if you are willing to do your own studying of the more technical aspects.

I hope you don’t mind me butting in with a question, but I’m new here and your question in on the lines of mine.

I was with the DOD and now that contracts are getting harder to come by, an acquaintance suggested that I join the Merchant Mariners. He was with the SIU and told me to give them a call and so I did; I’m now at Phase 2 of the application process for the Unlicensed Apprentice Program.

My question is, is the SIU a good school? I’m in Florida, are there other options? ’ I’m in my mid to late 30’s, am I too old to see decent advancement? I made great money with the DOD, $120K+ year, is the money comparable?

Thank you.

I would love to have an answer to my questions in post #11

Thank you

Don’t waste your time by going to school and not coming out with a license. If you have college degree you can get a license at Great Lakes maritime in 2 1/2 years, that’s what I did. Average age of my grad class was 28, with 18 year olds all the way up to mid 50s. If you don’t have a degree it’s only a year or two more than unlicensed schools and takes four years but you come out with a degree is business administration. A lot of complaints about GLMA are about not choosing the degree you want. Well if your there for the license, what does it matter. plus they are the only school without a military regimen. I know and have worked with a few guys that have gone to piney point with their end goal of becoming a mate… and they are still ABs making 20-30k less than me. Starting as a third mate you’ll make 80k lower end to 110k upper.

So would u suggest to go to a school to get Qmed qualed such as seattle maritime academy… Rather than goto a maritime academy like GLMA? I would just like to make a smart decision …

Maine grad here so speaking of what I know about Castine only. How long it takes really depends on how many credits you have to transfer in with. Many folks coming in with credits did it in 3 years. Maine has a great program for those coming out of the military or a previous professional career. You end up with minimal amount of regimental BS your first year with perks such as being able to live off campus and other “upper class” perks. During my time those enrolled as “non-traditional” students(previous military or over 24years old) were pretty much awarded senior status after the first month and a half of school. Still some freshman BS there but not nearly as much as the 18 year old kid fresh out of high school. Really a great setup for those coming out of the military and there were a bunch every year in this program. Feel free to shoot me any other questions.

[QUOTE=drod2214;102688]So would u suggest to go to a school to get Qmed qualed such as seattle maritime academy… Rather than goto a maritime academy like GLMA? I would just like to make a smart decision …[/QUOTE]

A smart decision would be to use the GI $$ to get the best formal education you can find. If you are really planning on making this a career, the time and money spent in school will pay huge dividends when yo get into the fleet and start working on gaining experience.

[QUOTE=drod2214;102688]So would u suggest to go to a school to get Qmed qualed such as seattle maritime academy… Rather than goto a maritime academy like GLMA? I would just like to make a smart decision …[/QUOTE]

LOOK !!!

What some folks are missing is the following point:

The SIU program is DESIGNED for people that don’t even know bow from stern, port from starboard…It’s a LOT of BS, BUT it is FREE and it is a “Learn while you earn program”

You do get paid something and even on the 2nd phase ship, I made 2 grand a month, not much but it’s something and the goal is that you LEARN and by the time you hopefully complete the program, you come out with either AB/RFPNW or QMED-FOWT/RFPEW or as a Chief Cook and all 3 dept’s get Lifeboatman/PSC, Tankerman Asst and Govt (MSC) vessels…plus a B-book in the SIU.

Is the school at Piney Point free? Yes! Can you upgrade? Yes? DO enough SIU members do so? Sadly no, but that is changing…

SMA is a good program if you want a FAST-TRACK to AB or QMED without the BS of Piney Point, And if you live in the Seattle area or you can afford to live there and pay all the costs of the school or get it paid for, somehow. Last time I checked, Seattle Central Community College only does Pell Grants, NO Fed Stafford loans of ANY kind. GI Bill, I am sure they can use that, but you gotta call them yourself.

Yeah, if I was able to do it ALL OVER I prob would have gone to an academy right off the bat… I also would have picked the winning lotto numbers, had my mom buy me some stock in Microsoft when I was 3 for a trust fund and I would have invented that damn “Chip-Clip” back in the day which was nothing more than a clothes line pin made outta plastic with slave labor in China…,made that guy filthy rich:cool:

[QUOTE=“Skiing Salem Sailor;102898”]

A smart decision would be to use the GI $$ to get the best formal education you can find. If you are really planning on making this a career, the time and money spent in school will pay huge dividends when yo get into the fleet and start working on gaining experience.[/QUOTE]

The difference between an engineer and a mechanic is your education and it is much easier to get that education in school than on your own. When it comes to trouble shooting systems one needs a good grounding in theory, not just how to turn a wrench, and not much theory is taught on the job.