Mate of Uninspected Fishing Vessels-Engine Time

Hello all.
I’m going to be sitting for my DDE/Chief UFV soon, and I think I’ve got that about figured out. But while there is a shortage of engineers now, in the future that might not be, and I’d like to be as versatile as possible.
My question is in regard to the wording of the sea service requirements for Mate UFIV, which states 1080 days of service on Ocean or Near Coastal waters. It doesn’t specify in the engine room or deck department. Could I possibly use my engine room sea time towards this license? I know they are typically two entirely different license tracks, but the fishing industry/limited tonnage is a bit different. The only problem I see is getting an AB rating, I might be able to get some recent seatime put down as deck instead of engine and get an AB OSV, which would give a tonnage restriction but that wouldn’t be a problem. I’m more focused on the engineer side at the moment but I’d like to know if this is possible, and if anybody knows anybody that has done it, so I can plan my career appropriately. Thanks for any help.

I believe something similar came up like that eons ago in the gcaptain archives.try 46 cfr 10.410(b).although I don’t recall what I had for breakfast this morning I remember 10.410 because my dearly departed dad bought me a 410 shotgun when I was 10. still have it. good luck

[QUOTE=newman;112971]I believe something similar came up like that eons ago in the gcaptain archives.try 46 cfr 10.410(b).although I don’t recall what I had for breakfast this morning I remember 10.410 because my dearly departed dad bought me a 410 shotgun when I was 10. still have it. good luck[/QUOTE]

The MMC has screwed up your memory key. It’s now 46 CFR 11.410(b). It’s 25% engine time for all mate licenses for not more than 1600 GRT, including UFIV.

Why convert to a deck license. There’s always a shortage of engineers in the oilfield

[QUOTE=boatengineer;113027]Why convert to a deck license. There’s always a shortage of engineers in the oilfield[/QUOTE]

Everywhere. Everywhere!