Just re-read it for the 50th time. It says ‘or’ before the master time over 200 grt requirement.
I am 99% sure that a tonnage limitation would apply, unless you have the time over 1600 GRT. Frankly, this is probably not the best place to get answers to your licensing questions. We are all just as confused as you are (JDCAVO aside). I would highly recommend using a licensing agent (such as Diamond Marine). I used them recently, and I can’t believe it took me this long (26 years). They are industry veterans: Former NMC license specialist, NYC Pilots, etc. You will get answers to your questions and they will help you all the way through the process. And if this sounds like an advertisement, I have no association with Diamond, other than they shepherded me through a very complicated application. Consider it like having a lawyer at a deposition, you should always have a lawyer on your side. BTW: you will also need a slew of classes, if you want STCW 3rd Mate Unlimited (Advanced Ship-handling, Advanced Meteorology, Advanced Stability. . .etc,.).
Most ATB sailors already have OICNW, which is the STCW equivalent of 3M, as we were able to get that same STCW endorsement with a 1600 mate license if you applied before 2017 (?). There was a period when you could take a few “gap closure” classes, complete the assessments get the OICNW before they added all those extra classes you mentioned. So I believe the domestic 3M endorsement would be all most ATB mariners would need.
Yes so if you have 360 days as Master on a vessel over 200 GRT you could get a 3M. A tonnage limitation will apply if on vessels, or ATB units with aggregate tonnage of less than 10,000 GRT.
Yes, either 1,080 days on deck on vessels over 100 GRT or 360 days as Master on vessels over 200 GRT.
How do you get the recency time of the 45 days over 1,600grt if you hold Master 1,600grt?
Sail unlicensed before (or after) you get Master 500/1600. Using AB time over 1,600 GRT to get a 500/1,600 GRT license is not uncommon.
What about using ATB or combined tug and barge sea time that is over 1600?
I’m doing it, you still need the seatime, including the recency. The only difference with new policy is you don’t need to take the five part exam. They will give you 3M is you have time over 1600 GT but it will be limited to that tonnage. So, you still need the seatime.
Yeah idk I’ve seen multiple guys get it with only atb time must be case by case with the evaluator
Wasn’t there a recent rule change or policy decision to count ATB seatime the same as self propelled ship seatime.
An odd thing that I’ve seen it happen a couple of times: Tankermen get unlimited Mate licenses using only barge time. NMC has no idea that the barges are not ships.
I got 50% of my time from atbs cause that’s what they cap it at . And I sent in enough atb time over 1600. Like I said it’s prolly case by case with different evaluators . I honestly though they were going to but a 7000grt restriction on it but I got 2000
Full credit for ATB time is only for officers that already hold an unlimited license who are upgrading.
The USCG maintains the barriers to prevent limited license holders from moving up.
like I’ve said I know guys who went from 1600 master to 3m unlimited only using atb time with no prior unlimited endorsement
The way it was explained to me is an ATB is not a ship.
Classification
ATB vs. Ship
-
ATB:
-
Composed of a tug and a barge.
-
The tug fits into a notch in the barge, allowing for enhanced maneuverability.
-
Designed primarily for towing and transporting cargo, often in coastal and inland waters.
-
-
Ship:
-
A fully self-contained vessel designed for various maritime operations.
-
Subject to stricter regulations and manning requirements.
-
Capable of independent operation without needing to be connected to another vessel.
-
Regulatory Status
The U.S. Coast Guard classifies ATBs differently from traditional ships. While ATBs are not considered ships in the same regulatory sense, they are designed to perform similar functions, particularly in transporting goods. However, they exploit regulatory differences to operate with fewer crew members and lower construction standards compared to inspected ships.
In summary, an ATB is not classified as a ship but rather as a unique vessel type that combines elements of both tugboats and barges.
The USCG does not maintain this barrier to keep limited license holder from moving up. They simply realize they are different types of vessels.
in reality it comes down to the evaluator that just doesn’t care or know any better and issues you that unlimited license. Happens all the time.
I know guys that did that upgrade with only barge towing time, not even ATB time.