Maritime Security Risk Assessment

Could anyone recommend names of companies that do risk assessment and analysis for maritime security issues on a regional basis? I’m looking for a company that can paint a detailed security picture of a particular area and provide on-call information and analysis. Think of it as weather routing but for maritime security. Does such a company or service exist?

I doubt there is a market for it. No company is going to pay for security above what DHS requires unless that company handles very sensitive cargo. Even then it find it unlikely they would pay a third party to point out their flaws.

But that is just my opinion. I have no actual knowledge one way or the other.

The idea is not to point out the flaws in a company’s security procedures, there are plenty of companies that do that, I’m looking for a company (or companies) that can provide useful information about the security situation in a particular region, area, or port so that a vessel entering that area can be as informed as possible about what they’re getting themselves into and how best to handle it. As I said above, weather routing for security.

Just googled isps maritime code consultants and got quite a list.

ISPS and MTSA…just more utterly worthless BULLSHIT foisted on the maritime industry by the parasite regulators, class societies and consultants globally to extort money from shipowners for the purposes of nothing more than to line their pockets. In more than 30 years of living this loonacy, the sheer volume of certificates a ship must carry has grown more than tenfold. Each costs no less than $20000 to obtain and requires a 3" ringed binder to keep them all in yet NOTHING was made really any better or safer. Soon we’ll have to certify asswipe carried by our vessels meets international softness standards and a ship will have to carry an ISWSC (International Sanitary Wipe Safety Certificate) and a log will be required to be maintained by the master of any chafing suffered by the crewmembers during the course of their conduction their daily business… There will also need to be port state bunghole inspections conducted by duly qualified class society surveyors.

I wasn’t looking for anything regulatory anyway

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;151649]I wasn’t looking for anything regulatory anyway[/QUOTE]

ok, then I’ll provide this one for you for simply a small purely nominal fee…

1. South Asia & Arabian Gulf…YOU’RE JUST FUCKED!
  2. East Asia…YOU’RE UP SHIT’S CREEK!
  3. Africa…YOU’RE SIMPLY DOOMED!
  4. South America…YOU’RE JUST ASKING FOR TROUBLE!
  5. Caribbean Sea…I WOULDN’T TRY IT!
  6. Mediterranean and Black Seas…KEEP A GOOD EYE OVER YOUR SHOULDERS!
  7. Mexico…WE DON’T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!
  8. Russia…THUGS AND GOONS EVERYWHERE!
  9. North Europe…JUST LOOK AT LAST WEEK!
  10. Canada…MAYBE YOU’LL MAKE IT OUT ALIVE!
  11. Arctic & Antarctic…NOBODY WILL HEAR YOUR SCREAMS!
  12. USA…JOE BOSS IS MORE OF A THREAT THAN ANYTHING!

that will be $20k and all in Benjies please…NO CHECKS!

http://gcaptain.com/nigerian-piracy-resurgence-bryan-abell/

In the by line there is a link to a company that might be what you’re talking about.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;151563]Could anyone recommend names of companies that do risk assessment and analysis for maritime security issues on a regional basis? I’m looking for a company that can paint a detailed security picture of a particular area and provide on-call information and analysis. Think of it as weather routing but for maritime security. Does such a company or service exist?[/QUOTE]

Try Securewest International, have used them for years.

http://www.securewest.com

[QUOTE=c.captain;151652]ok, then I’ll provide this one for you for simply a small purely nominal fee…

1. South Asia & Arabian Gulf…YOU’RE JUST FUCKED!
  2. East Asia…YOU’RE UP SHIT’S CREEK!
  3. Africa…YOU’RE SIMPLY DOOMED!
  4. South America…YOU’RE JUST ASKING FOR TROUBLE!
  5. Caribbean Sea…I WOULDN’T TRY IT!
  6. Mediterranean and Black Seas…KEEP A GOOD EYE OVER YOUR SHOULDERS!
  7. Mexico…WE DON’T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!
  8. Russia…THUGS AND GOONS EVERYWHERE!
  9. North Europe…JUST LOOK AT LAST WEEK!
  10. Canada…MAYBE YOU’LL MAKE IT OUT ALIVE!
  11. Arctic & Antarctic…NOBODY WILL HEAR YOUR SCREAMS!
  12. USA…JOE BOSS IS MORE OF A THREAT THAN ANYTHING!

that will be $20k and all in Benjies please…NO CHECKS!

.[/QUOTE]

Copy that, C Cap. Especially on number 12. The whole ISPS sham is yet another vehicle for the pencil dicks at IMO, Flag state and Class to impose their conventional ignorance on vessel operators and create an aftermarket for more
"Consultants". In all my years running the HTAs and IRTC in and in proximity to Gulf of Aden / Gulf of Oman, there was never any shortage of maritime security “experts” proffering advice on how to secure vessels from threats they had no direct experience with and in areas they had never sailed.

I wouldn’t bother with Secure West. Used them for several years prior to switching over a US contractor. They’re not going to provide you any material information that you couldn’t either figure out on your own or get elsewhere for free.

Most of what I think your looking for is free on the state department website and by browsing the web. News articles from whatever region are particularly useful provided you can analyze them within context. Of course I offer my services, but you get what you pay for.

[QUOTE=c.captain;151648]ISPS and MTSA…just more utterly worthless BULLSHIT foisted on the maritime industry by the parasite regulators, class societies and consultants globally to extort money from shipowners for the purposes of nothing more than to line their pockets. In more than 30 years of living this loonacy, the sheer volume of certificates a ship must carry has grown more than tenfold. Each costs no less than $20000 to obtain and requires a 3" ringed binder to keep them all in yet NOTHING was made really any better or safer. Soon we’ll have to certify asswipe carried by our vessels meets international softness standards and a ship will have to carry an ISWSC (International Sanitary Wipe Safety Certificate) and a log will be required to be maintained by the master of any chafing suffered by the crewmembers during the course of their conduction their daily business… There will also need to be port state bunghole inspections conducted by duly qualified class society surveyors.[/QUOTE]

You can always use the ring binders to up-armor your office…just a helpful hint from Heloise

nyuk nyuk nyuk

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;151649]I wasn’t looking for anything regulatory anyway[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but it might be a start. http://www.ncga.us/maritime.php

[QUOTE=catherder;151665]You can always use the ring binders to up-armor your office…just a helpful hint from Heloise [/QUOTE]

here is the only Vessel Security Plan I need right here…

If only they let us all have those…

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;151683]If only they let us all have those…[/QUOTE]

sure could solve a whole heap of troubles if they did!

//youtu.be/PzlvF--6bPI

…especially effing two bit thug Somali so-called pirates

just me and my Ma…Duece that is!

[QUOTE=c.captain;151678]here is the only Vessel Security Plan I need right here…

[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the support but why did it have to be that imbezzel?

[QUOTE=c.captain;151648]ISPS and MTSA…just more utterly worthless BULLSHIT foisted on the maritime industry by the parasite regulators, class societies and consultants globally to extort money from shipowners for the purposes of nothing more than to line their pockets. In more than 30 years of living this loonacy, the sheer volume of certificates a ship must carry has grown more than tenfold. Each costs no less than $20000 to obtain and requires a 3" ringed binder to keep them all in yet NOTHING was made really any better or safer. Soon we’ll have to certify asswipe carried by our vessels meets international softness standards and a ship will have to carry an ISWSC (International Sanitary Wipe Safety Certificate) and a log will be required to be maintained by the master of any chafing suffered by the crewmembers during the course of their conduction their daily business… There will also need to be port state bunghole inspections conducted by duly qualified class society surveyors.[/QUOTE]

I can’t even imagine how bad it is getting now. When I left Class society surveying some 18 years ago, It was getting pretty bad. . . . An Annual/Machinery/Statutory survey on a foreign flag chemical tanker would require up to 8 separate surveys and endorsement of 7 certificates. . . .and I am sure it is worse now. . .