MARAD Activates 27 Ships

After some more thought I believe it was Buzz that put out the Ship Inventory with the operational status of each vessel. I think it was during a congressional testimony???

I think Rum Runner is right on the money with his projected activations. I can confirm 2 of the V’s as well. If the original LMSR conversions(Yano, Shugart, Gulliland and Gordon) can get it together I will be surprised. After 3 years on the Stockham all of it FOS, I would give a boat load of credit to those engineers that get those hulls going. Although not as old as the Gordon class, the Yano class were not only built in the early 80’s(as previously stated) bus lengthened in 84 from 750 to 906’…then converted by NASSCO starting in 95-96, just before the construction began of the Bob Hope Class(Avondale) and Watson Class(NASSCO). I have a cool NASSCO poster that shows an overhead view of the 3 Yano class in various stages of conversion.

Memories form 2014. The R’s were in pretty decent shape. I have always been a believer that if SDDC would just use these hulls there would be a much greater opportunity for the FOS crews to get work done on them while there is $$ and a full compliment.

A few years ago when I was in Salalah on a PCTC the SDDC rep told me that there was plenty of cargo going out to keep the Cape ships busy. I asked him to elaborate, he then said that if the C-17’s were continuously running and they didn’t have to wait for ships, and they worked 24/7 the effort to get all the cargo out of A-Stain would take 5 years. Maybe it would be a trade off because the military cargo moving form the middle east is also keeping the commercial companies running…

Source Link Below:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/29885/pentagon-orders-sudden-deployment-drill-of-unprecedented-size-for-fleets-of-sealift-ships

1 Like

I got a text this morning from the MEBA beating the bushes for people.

1 Like

Me too and I am a old retired engineer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

29 Open board jobs at the hall this morning. 15 of them were for 2m and 3m.

Met a mate, an all-time loser
He said he could help me out
So to the MEBA hall we set out
Right away, they said, “Me boy,
We’ll sign you up this very day”
So to the harbour, unsuspectin’
Ridin’ high, I made my way

1 Like

Qualified M.E.B.A. members, applicants and retirees are needed immediately to respond to a large-scale turbo-activation of the Ready Reserve Force (RRF) fleet and Surge Sealift ships. These are being dispatched as 10-day jobs.

You are asked to check in with your local Union hall today about the deck and engine positions that must be filled right away.

Engineers are needed for the GTS ADMIRAL CALLAGHAN, USNS SODERMAN, USNS SISLER, USNS WATSON and USNS RED CLOUD.

Deck officers are needed for the CAPE DECISION, CAPE DOUGLAS, CAPE DUCATO, CAPE RAY and CAPE RACE. Deck officers and an engineer position need to be filled on the CAPE EDMONT.

The U.S. Transportation Command stated that this readiness exercise will test the nation’s sealift support network including vessel manning and operation. Please help us ensure that the mariner workforce holds up its end in this extremely important activation.

I may be biased as a Masters, Mates, & Pilots member but this has always been one of my gripes with the Marine Engineers Beneficiary Association seeking deck officer contracts. No doubt they will be allowing the many hungry MM&P applicants in the halls to pass through and fill the jobs.

1 Like

USNS Soderman used to be a fine ship in 2003. A young engineer could gain a lot of experience in a short amount of time on a ship of that nature. Hope MEBA can fill the billets.

1 Like

I got an email from MEBA looking for anyone with a pulse, including retirees. It’s a ten day job.

I am already working, or I would be interested

If I was in the USA I’d do it just for the adventure. It should be an interesting crew if they put one together. Young folks needing a job with old folks who just want to see if they can still do it. It would be a hoot !

6 Likes

I need to get my gas turbine endorsement!

1 Like

Agreed. It would be hella fun. I am working at the moment, at my regular yob.

1 Like

What was the approximate breakdown of the engineer jobs?

Mates jobs should get filled pretty easily if MM&P pass-through is allowed. Hmm, but the strategy for a young hungry guy may be to not take the job and then go to a hopefully empty hall for job call during the activation. Word on the street it’s been tough in the halls for recent grads.

After all the mate jobs are taken out there were probably about 8 or 9 engineer jobs.

Mostly a mix of GT 1 a/e and 2 a/e.

In a major conflict that rotational presence could possibly be required, would there be a shortage of mariners to fill the billets?

Is the US Navy involved with this exercise for convoy duty after the possible sea trials begin?

Very good article by Sal Mercogliano

https://gcaptain.com/ready-or-not-here-comes-the-ready-reserve-force/

After being in the hall today, I’m hearing the number of SIU-crewed activations is pushing upwards of 40.

1 Like

What about us non-union guys? Could we just walk into MMP/MEBA right now and pick up a job for a week and then bounce?

That’s how I got in, jobs on the board and nobody to fill them. I stayed in but there’s no reason you can’t quit anytime.

1 Like

Working 4 weeks on / 4 weeks off doesn’t leave me enough free time to take a temp job like this but I wish I could.

3 Likes