Maine Deepwater Offshore Wind Project

Maine Deepwater Offshore Wind Project Receives Significant Boost from Department of Energy
Senator Collins has been a strong advocate for developing deepwater, offshore wind technology; Project has potential to create 20,000 jobs over time

And now if only they could figure out how to use American mariners and American vessels to do all this work.

This will fail.

It wouldn’t even be considered if it wasn’t for the Federal government subsidizing the inevitable losses. European countries have been doing this exact practice of subsidizing offshore and onshore wind for decades now…to no avail.

And of course it takes a senator like collins to bring back the good ole’ dough. What company in the right mind would set up offshore wind off the coast of Maine??? You basically just doubled, even tripled your maintenance and operating costs on an already expensive venture.

The jobs will be temporary, at best. Offshore wind will have its time soon…as soon as people get the “not in my backyard” mentality out of their heads.

As for an increase in mariner jobs, if this was a real investment with stable growth, I would say it would be almost as great an opportunity as working in the GoM. Those floating windmills require a ton of maintenance(until they are designed to be more reliabled, wind turbines wont be worth it), and it takes ships with captains/mates to take maintenance workers to them.

You sure seem to know everything about everything.
Wish I was as smart as you are when I was your age.

I thought they amended the OCS energy rules to include wind farms so they have to use Jones Act vessels just like the oil industry does.

I know Montco was building those really big jack ups with the idea of them being used in the future wind farms up north.

Had been following the progress on the wind farm project on Nantucket Sound, thought I read they were using European vessels and crew for some of the work. Will have to go back and find the source in order to post a cite.

It’s a F ing joke!! Not the time nor the place for this! Let’s go aheadvand spend $200m on a project that will probably run way over budget and not produce near the amount of energy as other conventional power plants. How about another Solyndra?

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;90755]I thought they amended the OCS energy rules to include wind farms so they have to use Jones Act vessels just like the oil industry does.

I know Montco was building those really big jack ups with the idea of them being used in the future wind farms up north.[/QUOTE]

They will be able to get provisions for foreign flagged vessels, possibly use of either foreign or national crews, it will be like offshore drilling rules. However, the USCG is now allowing foreign officers of vessels to work within the OCS. Its not too bad guys, it will open up more jobs for us and from one of the offers I saw, the pay is comparable to drilling wages and some of the jack-up vessels are quite nice. There definitely is a positive here with jobs for american sailors.

[QUOTE=SouthernBornOhioBurned;90741]This will fail.

It wouldn’t even be considered if it wasn’t for the Federal government subsidizing the inevitable losses. European countries have been doing this exact practice of subsidizing offshore and onshore wind for decades now…to no avail.

And of course it takes a senator like collins to bring back the good ole’ dough. What company in the right mind would set up offshore wind off the coast of Maine??? You basically just doubled, even tripled your maintenance and operating costs on an already expensive venture.

The jobs will be temporary, at best. Offshore wind will have its time soon…as soon as people get the “not in my backyard” mentality out of their heads.[/QUOTE]

You let me know when you are done school, I will get you a job.

I really want to know what kinda job you have in mind for him.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;90754]You sure seem to know everything about everything.
Wish I was as smart as you are when I was your age.[/QUOTE]

I reallllly tried not to come across as that. Did I come off as that in the previous thread? Yes.

A bit off-topic, I saw an article yesterday about how Cheniere is developing a LNG to Diesel process.