Mad Magazine shutting down

Sad day, a vestige of my youth is shutting down.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/mad-magazine-to-effectively-shutter-after-67-years/ar-AADP8Bo?li=BBnbfcL

Well that sucks. I guess the Millennials don’t like good magazines.

2 Likes

Magazines are dead across the board.

2 Likes

It’s not just millennials, how many magazines or newspapers do you have within arms reach compared to 10, 15 20 years ago? And it’s not just newspapers & magazines no longer being brought aboard, I haven’t heard of anyone bringing DVD’s with them to work in a coon’s age. It’s a new world all over again.

Haven’t read that Mag in many decades but as a child of the 60’s, sad to see it go.

I loved spy v spy
And some of the wisdom in it was priceless. … even to a seven year old I understood the satire and irony.

But in this digital world it has been replaced with the echo chamber of Twatter and Faceache.

1 Like

That’s the truth. My Dad passed away not long ago and as a part of putting his affairs in order I cancelled 17 newspaper & magazine subscriptions. I think I took 200 lbs of old newspapers to the recycling dumpster.
I stopped getting hard copies of the paper long ago and get just a few magazines. Some of those are trade publications that may or may not get read.

Thats really sad. I loved Mad magazine when I was young. It definitely went downhill, but still worth reading.
I guess I’m an outlier here. I still read. All the time. I still have about 20 different magazine subscriptions and bring them to the ship to pass around when I finish reading them. Sadly, some of them are switching to pure digital. I won’t read them that way.

20 magazines weighs too much for me. I usually bring the Work Boat, Professional Mariner & a Money magazine. Unfortunately this time coming to work will be the last time I bring Money magazine since the June edition was the last.

1 Like

Yeah Sand_Pebble, I know what you mean. I don’t bring 20 with me! I do read them all eventually tho. I’m sad about Money too, I don’t read online much. It’s too uncomfortable. I have subscriptions to those 3, and also Sea History and Marlinspike for maritime (plus the SIU newsletter). I also really like National Geographic, Smithsonian and the Science Fiction & Fantasy magazine.

1 Like

I remember packing, deciding what paperbacks, text books and cassette tapes I wanted, no space for them all, all of that and more I can now carry on my phone, lap top and Kindle, and I could compact that as well.

1 Like

I entertain myself as an auto racing photographer. I am finding fewer and fewer magazines to publish my photos. . . and more and more competition with entry level camera kits and, dare I say, cell phones. . . Victory Lane can be its own special kind of hell.

1 Like