Looking at MMA

Hey guys first post on here, not sure if this is the right place to put it but i saw someone else post something like this here so maybe it is. So I am looking to go to a Maritime school, I applied to Maine and i am waiting back to hear, Just have a few questions about the schooling, what is it like, how hard or easy are the classes. The only classes that I know about are Calc and Phys and Meteorology. All the other classes seam scary, I read up alittle bit on some of them but still unsure. Any info would help. Oh I would be going to school as a transfer student. Spend 2 and half years at a school going for teaching and tho I love coaching kids to swim teaching them school work and doing that for a living doesn’t seam to be what i am looking for.

Hi everyone first time posting so I am not sure if this is the right area but I saw another post in here that is asking new guys stuff so here it goes. I just applied to Maine Maritime and was looking to get in to a maritime school. First off I am going in as a transfer student, I was going to school for teaching but during the process I realized that I don’t want to do that. Its different coaching young kids to swim and teaching them school subjects and I just don’t think I want to do that for the rest of my life. I have always love the water and boats, I work on a charter boat, which is the best thing to me since sliced bread, most fun I’ve had working ever. So my question is I know what calc, phys and Meteorology are, but the other classes seam scary to me, I read up on them a little bit but still are they hard, easy. I just don’t no what to expect. Also MTO was filled so i went for SVO which my cousin told me that I could easily move to MTO. How true is this, how easy and when can i do it. Any Info would help. Thanks everyone.
-Tom

And what would you be going to Maine for? Assuming deck or Vot I think they call it now, since you mention meteorology.

It is demanding as you really have to actually go to class, the location is tough, and you more or less have to “master” the subjects. The actual academics aren’t any easier or harder than a normal college I’d say. The Gpa requirement too is probably harder though.

Look up Maine Maritime on here, search it up. I recall a good comparison of the other academy’s. PM with any specific questions, been a while but been there, done that.

I re posted it but it doesnt show up…I wanted MTO but thats was filled so I went with SVO

The courses that seem to give most cadets the greatest angst are Algebra/Trig, Calculus, Physics and Rules of the Road. (R of R due to the enormous amount of memorization needed to pass.)

Edit - If you are not going Deck, R of R is not required.

Yes, MTO is what I want.

I’m not sure how easily you could transfer to MTO without playing catch up. SVO is a non-regimental program, and I’m not sure you have the option to go on the cruise as it’s a 500T license.

[QUOTE=SeaSick;99701]I’m not sure how easily you could transfer to MTO without playing catch up. SVO is a non-regimental program, and I’m not sure you have the option to go on the cruise as it’s a 500T license.[/QUOTE]

I know some people who traded up for more tonnage at the end of their freshman year as VOT. It is possible, the hardest part is getting the Dean to let you in because space is tight in all deck programs. Once you’re in, when you return as a sophomore, you have to do RPT with the freshmen, then you just go about your business taking classes like a normal sophomore. Most of the stuff you did as an SVO/VOT freshman pretty much covers what MTO freshmen do.

SVO/VOT students do not, and cannot, cruise. There is already little enough space that some unlimited students have to be sent to other academy’s training ships for the summer. As for the SVO/VOT license, the SVO program is a 2-year associate’s degree and results in a 200-ton near coastal mate plus an AB-limited ticket. The VOT program is the SVO program (licenses and all) plus 2 more years for a full bachelor of science, and results in either a 500 or 1600-ton near coast mate’s license, depending on whether or not you get sea-time over 100-tons during your three summer co-ops.

Boy I remember coming back from a thermodynamics test with my head spinning from entropy or enthalpy questions and seeing the deckies coming from knot tying class with a bunch of knots on a board thinking it was hard. Two thirds of the Nautical Science (Deckies) cadets made deans list. The top engineer in my class had a 3.47 GPA and about only 20% of the engineering cadets made deans list. Most of the people who flunked out and came back went up on the bridge not engine dept.

[QUOTE=“Jetryder223;99651”]The courses that seem to give most cadets the greatest angst are Algebra/Trig, Calculus, Physics and Rules of the Road. (R of R due to the enormous amount of memorization needed to pass.)

Edit - If you are not going Deck, R of R is not required.[/QUOTE]

If you are having trouble with Algebra, my 12 year old son could probably help you. Trig is just plain easy. Man up boys.

Rules of the Road?? Really? Come on!!

Maine is a good school.

Rules is not a hard class. If you’re memorizing you aren’t learning it right. If you want to just memorize stuff why bother with an academy?

The biggest problem is inadequate high school preparation for college. The next biggest problem is that colleges are accepting too many kids who are not college material. This happens at most colleges, not just the academies. This wastes a lot of time and money, and greatly reduces the value of a college education.

Thank you guys, keep the info coming.