LOG BOOK writing

Do we have to write who carried out night patrol in the log book or not?

1 Like

Yes and no. It depends. What type of vessel are you a chief officer on?

Now I am working in the office.
In my experience, VLCC is writing who did. But, other dry cargo ship didn’t.
VIQ is also not saying about that.

I’m not aware of any regulatory requirement. I would expect that policy to be set by the office. Since you’re in the office, you decide, but note that there’s already plenty of paperwork to do on the bridge as it is.

1 Like

The complexity and cargo of a vessel would affect my decision. On an ammo ship, whoever did the night rounds of the magazines and other sensitive areas had to enter the spaces and log into a punch clock which recorded the sailor’s ID and the time. The more sensitive the cargo the more I would expect increased security and record keeping.
I don’t know anything about VLCCs, but it wouldn’t surprise me if an LNG tanker would have a higher level of routine security and record keeping than a box boat where as far as I know, the norm is to enter the event in a day book. Or not.

1 Like

On passenger ships there used to be a unit containing a clock throughout the ship in which the person doing the rounds inserted a special key instigating a recording of the time.
I’m sure that there is a much more sophisticated arrangement today.

1 Like

Didn’t the person carry the clock around and insert keys that were secured at the various stations?

1 Like

@Hogsnort’s post jogged my memory. There was some type of key that had to be inserted in a mechanical device to record the time.

“Detex Watchclock”

2 Likes

Haven’t seen a detox clock since leaving school. We log who completes the round, but off the top of my head logging who completes it came only from WA State ECOPRO.

The “detox clock” is my return to work date.

Thank you, I’ll be here all the week…

3 Likes

I only ever saw one on a visit to some passenger ship in the late sixties, it could have been the Canberra. I think it was interconnected and logged on the bridge.