Loading a Panamax Bulk Carrier

Hi. I am doing some research on Iron Ore shipping and was wondering if anyone could answer my question in this regard:

How long does it take to load a Panamax Bulk Carrier to maximum capacity (w/ iron ore)?

Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated!

It all depends on the loading facilities. Loading Iron Ore is pretty quick by using conveyors, usually a couple of days to 3,4 days …

thank you… so usually 2-4 days to load a panamax? how about unload time? same?

You should take into consideration max deballasting rate. Good luck.

[quote=bcm;38520]hi. I am doing some research on iron ore shipping and was wondering if anyone could answer my question in this regard:

How long does it take to load a panamax bulk carrier to maximum capacity (w/ iron ore)?

Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated![/quote]

From an engineering standpoint, knowing the limits of steel/time temperature etc there are variables in loading rates and when the vessel was designed by the architects they should have factored in the loading rate for the vessel depending on a bunch of factors, these rates should be in the ships documents which will insure that you don’t bend or hog the ship.
If those documents are missing and you have no other guidance as to the loading rate I would say you could safely assume that it is impossible for you to shove shit down the hold of that ship fast enough to make the bosses in the office happy. The stevedores can practically guarantee you will not load your ship too fast or too much before your sailing… so rest easy.

[QUOTE=capitanahn;38544]It all depends on the loading facilities. Loading Iron Ore is pretty quick by using conveyors, usually a couple of days to 3,4 days …[/QUOTE]

As mentioned it is very dependent on the loadport. I used to load iron ore in Brazil at up to 17,000tph and could full load a cape sized bulker in under 24 hours. I think 3-4 is way over unless you’re at some small US port.

[QUOTE=bcm;38520]Hi. I am doing some research on Iron Ore shipping and was wondering if anyone could answer my question in this regard:

How long does it take to load a Panamax Bulk Carrier to maximum capacity (w/ iron ore)?

Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

The time required to load any bulk carrier is usually dictated by the time required for the vessel to pump the ballast water out. It is not uncommon for terminals to load Panamax vessels in under 24 hours.

[QUOTE=Zulu;46397]The time required to load any bulk carrier is usually dictated by the time required for the vessel to pump the ballast water out. It is not uncommon for terminals to load Panamax vessels in under 24 hours.[/QUOTE]

Yup. The loading can go very quickly. What happens on the other end with a bulker is what can take some time.

The majority of incidents where bulk carriers have been lost were when carrying iron ore. In the carriage of iron ore, there are precautions you should follow :

"Iron ores are heavy cargoes which occupy a small area for a large weight, ie they have a low stowage factor (between 0.24*0.80 m3/tonne). It is therefore important that the tanktop has sufficient strength to carry certain iron ores…

there are so many points to consider…details of them can be found here…

[B]<a href=“http://www.bulkcarrierguide.com/iron-ore.html”>Safety precautions for loading iron ores in bulk</a>
[/B]