LNG hybrid vessels

LNG hybrid vessels are already out on the water, so the future is here. Adoption is picking up steam or should I say gas…

Anyone know what credentials (if any) will be needed for these hybrid vessels for deck officers? I’m not talking about the tankerman LNG carrier/tankship courses. I’ve seen some discussions/newsletters on this topic but nothing official.

You’re looking for a class that satisfies STCW V/3, usualy listed as some sort of “IGF code” class

But do guys that look out the window all day need it? I’ve only heard of dungeon folk taking it.

See STCW Regulation V/3, paragraph 7:
Masters, engineer officers and all personnel with immediate responsibility for the care and use of fuels and fuel systems on ships subject to the IGF Code shall hold a certificate in advanced training for service on ships subject to the IGF Code. [emphasis added]

Good info, but the old man doesn’t look out the window all day, he watches movies and takes naps.

I know the AMO LNG fuel ships require it for all the mates, the 3rd mate job comes up occasionally because not a lot of folks have it. If she’s gonna blow, it doesn’t just blow up the engineers.

A mate friend of mine who sails C/M for PASHA had to take the class.

It will be interesting seeing how well the new culture of operational and maintenance required for LNG is embraced.

Given the general lack of competence regarding instrumentation/control systems O&M found on the average container ship (and even some liquid tankers), some life changes will be required for LNG as a fuel operations.

It is nothing new and exciting about LNG as marine fuel any more.
There were a lot of LNG powered vessels in operation already in 2020:

More is ordered, or under construction:

LNG is not the marine fuel of the future. It is a intermediary step towards IMOs 2050 goal.
LNG is a fossile fuel that meet present restrictions on SOX, NOX and particle pollution, but is still a major GHG emitter.
LNG will be used until a better solution come widely available, or accepted.

LNG is already being phased out for ferries in Europe and Japan, being replaced by batteries for very short hauls, green hydrogen for longer routes.
OSVs and other vessels used in the Offshore Oil & Gas and Renewable Energy industries are getting batteries installed as “load shaving” devices.

Methanol are popular as fuel for large ships, incl. Mega Container ships:
https://www.dnv.com/expert-story/maritime-impact/methanol-as-an-alternative-fuel-for-container-vessels.html
While Short Sea Shipping is experimenting with various alternative fuels, incl. Biogas as replacement for LNG and Biodiesel for MDO.