Living conditions on ships?

Just curious what ships have the best living conditions(state rooms,food,internet,exersice etc.)
Is this typical?

Wow you can actually spread your arms and not touch both wall!

This is what I stayed in as a hand. There’s a reason we call them coffins.

Now that I have a license I’m lucky if I don’t have a top bunk. But really all you do is sleep in your room, how big does it really need to be?

Internet- If you’re at the dock and have a card for your laptop, then yea I guess you have internet.

Food- You can cook right?

Exersice- I’ve always found that cleaning the boat as fast as you can while doing a good job to be good cardio. As for strength, positioning tote tanks on the back deck while rigging to be great for lower body strength. For upper body I recommend moving the chains around on deck as you bind and unbind things good.

depends on the boat and the company.

when i worked on a 1000ft freighter, i had a decent sized private room with a private bath, satallite receiver in my room, rec deck, excercise room etc. not a bad setup.

my current gig is on a 200ft research vessel. no private baths, the rec area is the galley, no formal excercise(just work). i have a 6 man room to myself, but its the old divers room that they made the hospital area and im the medic.

so it varies. on a boat big enough to give everybody their own space you might just have it. smaller boats, it just isnt there to give…

nice diggs…you showing off…I’m jealous!!

I haven’t worked on a new build in 5 or so years…mostly aged 12+ tugs and osvs

accommodation: any combination of a stale room with dirty ventilation, a no-tell-motel reject mattress, locker w/ dirty linen and old clothes, defective electrical/lighting, leaking port light, damp and deteriorating floors/walls/overhead, mal-functioning sink, shower and toilet.

food: cooked yourself on a worn out stove or by another with limited FH knowledge and/or dubious hygiene habits.
**water tanks are often foul and in the very least filtered…don’t advise drinking the ships water…use bottled for consumption and cooking.

exercise: there is the stairs, walking the deck, and my personal wheelhouse routine.

internet: air-card/tethering when in port.

**I got pictures but the aren’t as pretty as you alls!!

Thats pretty nice from where I come from…I share a 6 man room with one other guy so we have a little more square footage and extra bunks and drawers to spread our gear around …

On this particular boat it’s fend for your self , except dinner is on a rotating basis for all hands and the food is actually pretty good…I try to come up with something new every hitch then repeat some of the favorites…Some of the crew only know one dish so it gets a little old after awhile…

For deep sea ships, yes that is typical. If you get on one of the preposition ships, triple it and put in a reefer and a private bath.

Or on an old tug:

This was my room on a 600 ft. tanker with private head. To be fair, it was a pretty big room for the ship. But, the Master, C/M, Chief, and 1 A/E all had suites with a couch and tv and a queen size bed.

the masters cabin in my crewboat
:D:D:D:D:D

I dunno I think I gotta call bullshit on that one…

bullshit???

would I lie???

you must be jealous of my living conditions,

this is my crewboat

Yacht name: O’mega
Length: 270 ft • 82 m
Year: 1985
Builder: Mitsubishi
Original stylist: Giorgio Vafiadis

Need a mate? I’ll take the smaller room…

I made a mistake, that was the smaller AB,s room, not the captains,

A few from where I work and sleep.

^^ Anchorman, thats a pretty neat setup. Looks cool really. :slight_smile:

However unfortunately i notice on international fleets a lot of cost cutting on basic ameneties for crew. I feel the need for owners running ocean going ships, must be subject to some sort of HR code (akin to the ISM and ISPS). Like attached bathrooms, refrigeraters, TVs, DVD players, Satellite TV, internet and oher recreational facilities.

These don’t cost much really, but go a long way in creating a comfortable ambience on board.

I am offshore on a construction barge right now. I am sharing a room with three other guys. The head and shower are one deck down. I do have an office with interent access (duh), though.

now that i think about it, nobody had to share a room on my boat except the ab’s(2 in a 4 man) and the girls(2 in a 3 man).

all the officers and the unlicensed engineers all got their own rooms.

If you’re on a tug, one thats more than a couple decades old, its definitely a coffin. I remember waking up on the top bunk, hitting my head in the pitch black (no porthole), and somehow getting down without falling. I seriously felt claustrophobic at times. Being on a tanker with a day boat schedule is oddly enough a lot more accomodating. Theres an AIR CONDITIONER!!! Wait theres more than one! The new ship in the fleet has even nicer rooms with individual showers, but even the older ones are good.

I work on an ITB and the accommodations are pretty good for the officers. The unlicensed share a head with the room next door and have a smaller bed. Overall though all of the rooms have TV’s set up with Direct TV and dvd players. Pardon the mess, but I had just got my stuff unpacked.

The pic in the first post is from one of the USNS ships. Looks like it may be from the new Lewis and Clark class, but not sure though. It’s not from the Watson or Bob Hope class. That’s an unlicensed berthing space. There’s a shared shower/shitter with the adjoining berthing space. The officer’s quarters on those ships are about three times the size of the unlicensed. They have their own shitter/shower and the beds are queen sized, the Capt and the Chiefs have king-sized. All the quarters have their own mini-reefers. Most of the crews will go out and buy their own TV sets but there are two TV lounges onboard. Because these are USNS ships, internet service, if they’re allowed access is extremely slow. These ships are only alloted a small fraction of the satellite bandwidth, so non-essential comms like internet surfing is always limited. The quality of the food depends on whether you have a good Steward or not. There’s also an exercise room too with the basics, but some crews will buy their own equipment to add to what they have.