Liquified Hydrogen Carriers

Continuing the discussion from Green Hydrogen:

SUISO FRONTIER, the first LH2 Carrier is in her way to Australia to load Hydrogen made from brown coal.

1 Like

She made it:

Now for the return voyage with a VEEERY cold cargo on board.

The Europeans wants in on the game:

More players in the H2 Carrier game:

Who is CB&I??:

Better known as Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.:

Another article today on hydrogen transportation vessels:

Now, it could be that I’m just not well-read enough on any of these new hydrogen ships coming out, so if that’s the case then I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but I can’t help but feel like I have yet to see any serious discussion in the shipping trade media about what’s being done on the issues of hydrogen embrittlement, which as I understand it is one of the biggest issues with the storage and transportation of hydrogen. So how have they solved that issue to such a degree that these ship designs are passing class inspections?

PaddyWest2012:
Australian company Provaris is spreading it’s wings:

It has already paid off:

The Åfjord Project:

The world’s first liquid hydrogen carrier, SUISO FRONTIER, arrived in Singapore . The 116m-long vessel, designed and built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. (KHI), is able to carry 1,250 cubic metres of liquid #hydrogen in its state-of-the-art storage tank, which keeps the hydrogen liquid at the cryogenic temperature of -253 degrees Celsius. The tank can safely carry liquefied hydrogen at 1/800th of its original gas-state volume. The vessel is operated by Shell under the CO₂-free Hydrogen Energy Supply-chain Technology Research Association (HySTRA) project, and was berthed at Shell Energy and Chemicals Park in Pulau Bukom from 1 September to 7 September 2023.

PS> LMG Marine is not French: LMG Marin - Sembcorp Marine Ltd