Lifeboat As Rescue Platform?

Just going by the AMVER press release here.
http://www.amver.com/Content/Docs/PressReleases/07-29-11_press_release_2.pdf

"The sailors sent a distress call to U.S. Coast Guard rescue personnel in Boston stating
their sails were torn, the engine was disabled, and they were taking on water."
Sounds like you were in distress there, and in need of assistance, and you got it.

"The rescue was complicated by the size of the Liberian flagged tanker and the worsening
weather conditions as winds over 30 knots and waves over 8 feet hampered the operation. "
I have yet to sail as a vessel master, but those weather conditions are not something I would subject anybody under my authority to when there was another, safer method of rescuing you. Which they did.

"One of the Triumph sailors fell into the ocean while attempting to climb aboard the Kim
Jacob but the crew kept a sharp lookout and recovered the survivor three hours after he
went into the water. "
After participating any many planned man overboard drills in good weather, I have a great respect for any crew that can keep you in sight for three hours in eight foot seas.

Addendum: If the ‘rescuers’ actually aren’t willing to do what they CAN DO, to save someone, they would be better to not stop to ‘render assistance’ at all. They did. You are alive to gripe about it. My hat goes off to the Captain and Crew several years later.

5 Likes