Licensing Question - Type 1 Diabetes

My son is currently a MUG and he is also a type 1 diabetic. He was upset when one of his upperclassmen told him that he would be unable to get his license and “ship out” because he is a type 1 diabetic. I read the USCG guidelines and that does not look like the case; however, I have no actual experience in the Maritime industry. I am just looking for the correct information, so I can give my son sound advice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I work with people that are type 1 diabetics. As long as they are taking medication and can keep there A1C normal then the USCG will issue a license. However, he will have to take a physical every year and submit to USCG.

Thank you so much! I will pass on this information to my son. He will feel much better! He is excited about the future and knowing his diabetes will not automatically disqualify him is nice!

Type 1 is not a DQ. As long as he is Under control, takes his medicine as RX’d, and A1C shows under control he is good

I know at least three guys that have Type 1 diabetes and hold a license. Documentation that it is under control via medication is the key.

[QUOTE=MUGmom;146916]My son is currently a MUG and he is also a type 1 diabetic. He was upset when one of his upperclassmen told him that he would be unable to get his license and “ship out” because he is a type 1 diabetic. I read the USCG guidelines and that does not look like the case; however, I have no actual experience in the Maritime industry. I am just looking for the correct information, so I can give my son sound advice.

Thanks in advance for your help![/QUOTE]

The upperclassmen is an uninformed idiot.

Diabetes is a potentially disqualifying condition, but is waived in most cases. All that is required to get a waiver is to demonstrate good control by the standard means you are probably already well familiar with - he needs to maintain his HgA1C at 8.0 or lower, this is the standard measure of “good” diabetic control. His waiver may require him to periodically submit evidence of maintaining this control.

See page 31 of Enclosure 3 here: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/2008/NVIC%2004-08%20CH%201%20with%20Enclosures%2020130607.pdf

[QUOTE=jdcavo;146943]The upperclassmen is an uninformed idiot.Diabetes is a potentially disqualifying condition, but is waived in most cases. All that is required to get a waiver is to demonstrate good control by the standard means you are probably already well familiar with - he needs to maintain his HgA1C at 8.0 or lower, this is the standard measure of “good” diabetic control. His waiver may require him to periodically submit evidence of maintaining this control.See page 31 of Enclosure 3 here: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/2008/NVIC%2004-08%20CH%201%20with%20Enclosures%2020130607.pdf[/QUOTE]As others have said, it is certainly possible for your MUG to obtain and maintain a license. One other thing to watch out for, especially as age creeps in. Diabetes can play havoc on vision, both glaucoma as well as color and depth perception. This too may effect his licensure. Just to repeat, the regularly updated physical is the key.