License Oral exam Joke

So the mate finishes his exam but the examiner want to ask a few question to determine the fitness of the candidate.He asks the mate: You’'re anchored in 6 fathoms of water and the wind picks up and your vessel starts to drag anchor, what do you do?" “I’d drop another anchor,” the mate replies. “Ok, says the examiner, “say the wind increases some more and with two anchors down, you again start to drag, what do you do then?” “I’d drop another anchor.” is the answer. The examiner gets a little exasperated and asks, " Where the hell are you getting all these anchors? " Answer:” Same place you’re getting all this wind."

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;99392]So the mate finishes his exam but the examiner want to ask a few question to determine the fitness of the candidate.He asks the mate: You’'re anchored in 6 fathoms of water and the wind picks up and your vessel starts to drag anchor, what do you do?" “I’d drop another anchor,” the mate replies. “Ok, says the examiner, “say the wind increases some more and with two anchors down, you again start to drag, what do you do then?” “I’d drop another anchor.” is the answer. The examiner gets a little exasperated and asks, " Where the hell are you getting all these anchors? " Answer:” Same place you’re getting all this wind."[/QUOTE]

Is the best way in this situation, start engine immediately and heave up the anchor ?

[QUOTE=andysternbild;146537]Is the best way in this situation, start engine immediately and heave up the anchor ?[/QUOTE]

The expected answer is that you should use the engine to help hold positon.

The decison to heave anchor or not depends upon the situation. In many cases it might be better to leave the anchor down at least until you have regained control. Even while dragging, the anchor is exeting a powerful tunning force that can be used to advantage. Once control is regained a decison can be made to anchor again or leave the anchorage.

Use of two anchors may not be a suitable tactic for a large single screw vessel becuase of the risk of fouling.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;99392]So the mate finishes his exam but the examiner want to ask a few question to determine the fitness of the candidate.He asks the mate: You’'re anchored in 6 fathoms of water and the wind picks up and your vessel starts to drag anchor, what do you do?" “I’d drop another anchor,” the mate replies. “Ok, says the examiner, “say the wind increases some more and with two anchors down, you again start to drag, what do you do then?” “I’d drop another anchor.” is the answer. The examiner gets a little exasperated and asks, " Where the hell are you getting all these anchors? " Answer:” Same place you’re getting all this wind."[/QUOTE]

These is assuming the appropriate shots where payed out to start with, And if they where, wouldn’t one consider increasing scope first.

FFS guys it’s a damn joke!

[QUOTE=captaint76;146564]FFS guys it’s a damn joke![/QUOTE]

No shit. you got to kidding

[QUOTE=sailcapt;146563]These is assuming the appropriate shots where payed out to start with, And if they where, wouldn’t one consider increasing scope first.[/QUOTE]

Where the hell you getting all that chain?