Learning The Sea

It’s said that a soldier learns more in his first week at war than years in camp - a statement I don’t doubt is correct. But, I think, the same holds true for our profession.

Every cadet who’s asked me for career advice on getting aboard a drillship I tell the same thing… spend a few years on a working ship first. It will teach you things that will take 10+ years to learn offshore.

So… my question is… which ships/runs taught you most about life at sea? For me it was a product tanker running mixed cargo around the northeast during winter but, I imagine, a winter north Atlantic run, small tugs in Alaska or a tramp ship running round Europe would also offer high intense, hands on, learning of different sorts.

Which was it for you? And which runs would you sign up for if you where 21 with no worries and an eagerness to learn real seamanship?

I learned most on an old and rusty coaster engaged in tramp voyages around Northern Europe. Plenty ports, all different types of cargo, lots of maintenance due to the age of the ship. And always underway in difficult and congested waters. It is the ideal ship for beginners - provided the captain is willing to show you something.

Tugs - New York Harbor and it’s environs. While I pushed fuel and did a little ship assist, I think ANY job on a tug in NYH is a learning experience based solely on the pace of operations. When things is hopping - it HOPS.

Dragging in the anchorage, loosing the plant under the Verrazano Bridge, witnessing an allison with the Ambrose light tower, a few close calls at Hells Gate and almost getting shot on the Harlem River… yep, I have a few good memories from that harbor :wink:

Sailing Vessels of any type.
Teaches you weather and sea state in a way that can’t be learned, or be more important, any other way.
Generally it puts you IN the weather for all work and watches.

Winter North Atlantic is in a class all by itself, just look at the Plimsol marks.

NY Harbor is water, but it’s not the sea.
I’ve never been on the crest of a wave, surfing, full throttle, helm hard over and still not going where I wanted in NYH.

I learned the most on a 30 year old product tanker in the domestic trade. Old and worn down, it took some top-notch people to keep it running, particularly with a company refusing to procure spare parts. Before this experience, every other ship I worked aboard had a dust-covered machine shop (well, the machine tools anyway). We became adept at turning our own pump shafts, crossing over manufacturer’s parts to the cheaper Grainger and McMaster options, knowing what routine services can be extended, and which ones absolutely cannot, etc. If not for the mechanical skills gained, it also taught critical time-management techniques and leadership needed to get the jobs done. There was far less BS on that ship compared to most since everyone was constantly busy enough, not having the time for trivial nonsense. It sounds bad, but we did have our fun. That ship is gone now, most crew moved on to bigger and better opportunities, but sometimes the garbage jobs make you really appreciate the great jobs when they finally come your way. Walking into these great jobs right out of college is okay, but those people always seem to eventually regret missing out on the experiences described above.

[QUOTE=Jolly Tar;52323]Tugs - New York Harbor and it’s environs. While I pushed fuel and did a little ship assist, I think ANY job on a tug in NYH is a learning experience based solely on the pace of operations. When things is hopping - it HOPS.[/QUOTE]
No doubt about it IMHO, I think you could add; work a small single screw tug in the creeks and back bays in NY and you’ll get a well rounded education about boat-handling and close quarters work. Everything a tugboat can do is done in NYH, many times a day. It depends on the outfit you’re with. Moran and McAllister handle most of the ships, the rest of the work is divided up among the dozen or more operators here and around the NY area. Oil, construction materials, rail cars, mud dumpers, derricks, scows etc. It’s all here and more. I’d start the same way I did, single screw tug, small crew, lots of different work. Talk about an education, of course I’m thinking more of boat handling savvy than covering the globe. The skill-sets transfer easily regardless of where you work a tug. I think that I would have liked to try the Western Rivers for a while. It’s a different world with some huge tows, challenging would be an understatement…

I’ve spent many years tuggin’ in and out of NY.
I’ve heard the danger signal sounded more times in the Boston area than everywhere else combined.

Something about those “Massholes”.

[QUOTE=seadog!;52329]I’ve spent many years tuggin’ in and out of NY.
I’ve heard the danger signal sounded more times in the Boston area than everywhere else combined.

Something about those “Massholes”.[/QUOTE]

Blowing the horn is just a carry over from driving in Boston. Driving is a sport in Bean town not to be taken lightly. With all the commuter boats operating up there perhaps you mistook the leaving the dock operating astern for what you thought was the danger signal. LOL

I know what you mean about driving in Boston.

I should have said:
[U]We’ve[/U] sounded the danger signal more times in the Boston area than everywhere else combined.

NY is certainly more congested, but there’s a higher level of professionalism.

Working on a product tanker on the west coast doing the Hawaii, LA, San Fran run including El Segundo was by the far the most eye opening experience and generally fun for a young mate, followed by working on any of the old USS ITB’s was a true test of ones abilities. Having some experience now, I don’t know how the C/M ever slept on one of those vessels.

I felt like I learned more during my first trip on my license than I did 4 years at the academy.I learned a lot at school, but the hands on coupled with the theory put it all in perspective. I would have to say sailing on the Overseas Joyce when the Ocean Challenger sank really taught me how to respect the sea and all she is capable of. Also taught me what happens when not properly prepared.

Like NewEngr said. The older the better when you are just starting. I spent almost 2 years on a 40 year old tug doing without more often than not. You really learn a lot about how to do all the things that computers do for you now.

As for the ships I sailed on as a cadet, hands down the Moku Pahu a bulk ITB. Given the chance I would seriously consider going back to it. There was no 3rd so I ended up essentially doing that job. Being thrown to the wolves like that and being expected to survive was a fantastic learning experience. I was the most I felt like a real engineer instead of “just the cadet”

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;52347]Like NewEngr said. The older the better when you are just starting. I spent almost 2 years on a 40 year old tug doing without more often than not. You really learn a lot about how to do all the things that computers do for you now.

As for the ships I sailed on as a cadet, hands down the Moku Pahu a bulk ITB. Given the chance I would seriously consider going back to it. There was no 3rd so I ended up essentially doing that job. Being thrown to the wolves like that and being expected to survive was a fantastic learning experience. I was the most I felt like a real engineer instead of “just the cadet”[/QUOTE]

Lol. When I worked for MTD we literally overhauled both of those Colt Pielstick’s. Talk about leaking like a shower when putting water on the engine. Great experience for me working on that thing. I would sail her if the pay was better.

She was definitely the best learning experience. We lost one of the mains pulling away from the pier in Honolulu. We had to make the trip over one one engine and almost completely disassemble the engine so she could be ready for repairs when we hit CA.

She wasn’t much for creature comforts but you couldn’t beat the run.

[QUOTE=john;52324]Dragging in the anchorage, loosing the plant under the Verrazano Bridge, witnessing an allison with the Ambrose light tower, a few close calls at Hells Gate and almost getting shot on the Harlem River… yep, I have a few good memories from that harbor ;)[/QUOTE]

And all that while you were ditching class!

I started on small charter boats both power and sail on Maui. I appreciate having that background because in order to be successful one had to learn everything about those boats. You couldn’t just be the captain and sit at the helm. When I got my first license and started running them, I was captain/engineer/deckhand/customer service rep/head cleaner/tankerman/photographer and I as such I learned a lot about managing vessels that were constantly breaking, had green crew, had owners from hell, no spare parts on board, leaks, cracks, slips, trips, falls, fires, stability challenges when the whales would pop up on one side and 150 tourists would all of a sudden appear there hanging as far out as they could, drydocks from hell with no fancy experienced tradesmen just me and some stoner deckhands, pukers, crappers, screamers, panic stricken mommies, drowning fat people, shallow water blackout victims, jellyfish and man o’ war sting allergic reactions, fish bites, coral cuts, sea urchin pokes, assholes, bitches and the worst ones of all: the ones who got the trip for free and so demanded everything. In other words, I learned everything about every job aboard a vessel. For that I’m very thankful. Plus I scored some pretty fine tourist chicks in the process.

Everything since then in the commercial world has been relatively mellow, except for my last couple of trips. :cool:

Working tugs was a great start, deckhand/ engineer/cook, worked all kinds of different boats moved every kind of floating object on the water.

I learned a lot of old school seamanship on the old WWII built underway replenishment oilers that MSC used to run. And I learned it from some fine old seamen too. Most of them now inhabit Fiddler’s Green. Nothing like a midnight unrep in the North Atlantic or the Med in winter!

“Everything since then in the commercial world has been relatively mellow, except for my last couple of trips.”

Now you can add Master of Understatement to your resume…