Leadership and the Maritime Academies

On Leadership the Royal Navy had a slim textbook on it.
Some Quotes:
Better an army of stags led by a lion than an army of lions led by a stag.
Ten good soldiers wisely led
Will beat a hundred without a head.
Euripides.
The textbook is only 30 pages and goes through direction of subordinates, responsibility for welfare, giving orders and trust in subordinates.
The book finishes by stating that of the many quotations in the book few were by Admirals. This was not because of a shortage of quotable sayings by Admirals but to demonstrate that the problems and mysteries of leadership have exercised the minds of many. Leadership is not just a requirement of the services.

A lion, that seems to me to be shooting to high, Most of us are just Joe Shmoe that are just looking for smooth ship operations.

As a first rule I agree with @DamnYankee, do no harm. Second need to get rid of the blame culture, otherwise it’s difficult to learn and improve. Third, need to increase the incentives for the crew to cooperate.

Finally some crew members will want to hinder, not help and they will never change, they need to be gotten rid of without hesitation.

1 Like

That was my mantra. . .those that couldn’t take up the slack were gone. . . .

1 Like

Merchant marine academies make one product: thirds. The product is of variable quality, produced to a minimum standard, as are most products. For example, bolts.

With a bolt, as long as the threads aren’t bunged up, it’s good to go. It fits the purpose. Corrosion resistance, additional tensile strength–these improvements cost money, and are no guarantee that the threads aren’t bunged up.

If you want all bolts to be produced with corrosion resistance, or additional tensile strength–or leadership skills–you’ll have to pay extra, and shipping companies are all about making money, not spending it. Imbuing all thirds with true leadership skills would drive up the cost of academy tuition considerably. It would also mean flunking all students incapable of being leaders.

When the military orders bolts they are all to mil spec, and they think nothing of paying $200 for a 1/2” NC stovepipe bolt.

With bolts, if you do need additional features, you can always sort through the box of bolts you have. You’ll usually find one that works, in the short term anyways, kinda-sorta. But time is money, and you generally work with the bolts you have.

2 Likes

My question how such do such shitty products whether thru the hawsepipe or academy get promoted? THAT is a failure of leadership. Some people are promoted because they did well in a previous job but then once more responsibility is upon them they can’t handle it and are incompetent. It’s the Peter Principle of old school management training which states eventually people are promoted to their level of incompetence. That the promoter doesn’t recognize their mistake and correct it is a serious lack of leadership. They are loathe to admit their mistakes in my experience.

Management never makes mistakes. They only "find new opportunities for synergy”. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Hate that term. It’s one of the buzzwords people use that are really obnoxious. I have been in video conference calls where the leader would say,“Let’s take this off line” Which means I don’t want the people I am sitting with to know how I really feel. The tacky phrase 'moving forward" annoyed me also. WTF who moves backwards? Why don’t you just say “next” or we got to do this soon? The one that REALLY annoys me is “revert”. Now I was always taught revert means to return to a previous state. So when some Sigma 6 genius sends me an email telling me to revert so the team is sure we are on the same page I get annoyed. Revert to what? We going back to the old way of doing things? What page is that on?
If you have no original thoughts to express just STFU.

2 Likes

http://www.buzzwords4u.co.uk/

1 Like

I looked it up and the reference to a lion is odd these days but it was an old proverb, probably advice for the captain of a trireme. The booklet covers pretty well all the things that have been suggested in the forum.

1 Like

You make some good points at this time. Thanks for your valuable input. Let’s run that up the flagpole and see who salutes, and we can regroup later, look at the dashboard, and maybe kick the ball around some more. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I think that’s correct.

The nature of the task of operating a commercial cargo ship (for example) has changed over the last 100 years.

Imagine a big sailing vessel getting into bad weather. Look at the language.

Capt comes on deck and needs to change things up. He knows what needs to happen but he can’t do it alone because he only has two hands

So what’s he do? He gets more hands. First he calls all hands. Once all hands are on deck he gives them commands and deck hands comply.

The situation today is far different. An engine department, capt being directed ashore via email, weather routing, ECDIS, ARPA, VTS, Port Control, SOLAS, Port State Control, etc etc.

Captain standing on deck shouting out commands doesn’t fit anymore.

At the risk of missing the point of a really good rant…

I knew a captain who used to say “it is what it is” during turnovers. I never knew what it meant but now from the context I think it’s a rhetorical means to control the tense (past or future) of the discussion.

The past is about blame, the future is about choice. At some point it’s time to stop sorting out what happened, who did what and start talking about what to do in the future, or “moving forward”.

This is my source.

Good book, enjoyable read.

1 Like

I recommend this book too.

1 Like

This one was good too. Maybe better from a practical standpoint.

Short repetitive messages, I had a C/E tell me I was good at brainwashing.

Take this to your next meeting. . .

4 Likes

What! No “Safety Culture”. That’s a maritime corporate hallmark…

Terms go through a cycle. Old terms get worn out and we have to find new ones to replace. Or some words come with assumptions or preconceptions.

Synergy is a good example, once a perfectly good word from the Greek work + together. Now a punch line to be avoided.

I want a bingo card with “lube oil consumption” and the like.

1 Like

Because the industry and regulators have made them a commodity. (thank me for not writing “commoditized”)

Like any other commodity, there are a lot to choose from and unless you have read a review or know the product you take it off the shelf and give it a try. Buyer beware.

1 Like

And this one, for phone meetings

1 Like