LCS Fort Worth Suffers Gear Damage in Singapore

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;190596]^^^ Halsey, Nimitz, Rickover, McCain(Sr.) would no doubt be saying the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Indeed sir…no doubt whatsoever

[QUOTE=c.captain;190593]I simply cannot believe what the modern US Navee has become! A bigger bunch of useless, self serving, fiefdom protecting, politically correct, button loving weenies they are today![/QUOTE]

According to Captain Michael Chesson, USN Ret in 2011:

"The U.S. Navy defeated the powerful Axis navies of World War Two with just 18 admirals but today it has 216 admirals even though it faces no comparable enemy on the high seas.

What’s more, today’s admirals have far fewer warships and sailors to supervise. There are a total of just 333,000 sailors today compared to 3.4 million in 1945, and the number of warships today is just 286 compared to 6,700 in 1945."

U.S. Navy Captain Michael Chesson, Retired

That cannot be correct. Maybe 18 full admirals as opposed to vice and rear admirals.

[QUOTE=c.captain;190619]That cannot be correct. Maybe 18 full admirals as opposed to vice and rear admirals.[/QUOTE]

Read it and weep …

“The Navy’s highest-ranking officer has summoned [B]more than 200 admirals[/B] to a special gathering near Washington on Thursday at which he will urge them to place a renewed emphasis on integrity in light of several scandals that have plagued the service.”

[QUOTE=Steamer;190634]Read it and weep …[/QUOTE]

I don’t disagree that the USN has more than 200 flag rank officers today which is 150 too many but that during WWII that it only had 18. I count that the USN had 16 four star admirals which included 4 five star (King, Nimitz, Halsey and Leahy)

there is no list available I can find for how many 1 thru 3 star admirals the USN had in WWI but it must have been many hundreds. More than a few of those were combat admirals who could fight and did quite effectively unlike those who attain flag rank today who only know how to champion massive spending on worthless weapons and take very cushy jobs after they retire with big defense contractors. Everyone should know what my feelings are concerning military retirement pay and that goes double for admirals who retire. No retirement pay if you are getting paid more by someone else. Hell, if you are working, then you aren’t retired!

[QUOTE=c.captain;190641]… there is no list available I can find for how many 1 thru 3 star admirals the USN had in WWI but it must have been many hundreds.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:United_States_Navy_World_War_II_admirals

I agree with you that there are about 150 too many, and they should not be able to double or triple dip. I think they should be prohibited from working for any company that they have had any contact with during their service. There is only one reason any company would employ a retired admiral, and that reason is purely influence pedaling or purchasing.

And we now know for certain just how much the taxpayer (or the military) benefits from the current incestuous relationship among defense contractors and high ranking military officers.

The latest, best and most expensive appears to have some issues: https://gcaptain.com/u-s-navys-new-high-tech-destroyer-suffers-engineering-casualty/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gcaptain+(gCaptain.com)

Any well chosen comments that can be expressed on a polite forum like this??

[QUOTE=ombugge;190713]The latest, best and most expensive appears to have some issues: https://gcaptain.com/u-s-navys-new-high-tech-destroyer-suffers-engineering-casualty/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gcaptain+(gCaptain.com)

Any well chosen comments that can be expressed on a polite forum like this??[/QUOTE]

the US Navee is now a lost child when it comes to building warships which are worth a SHIT and not obscenely overpriced. the LCS program is only a posterchild for this loss of knowledge and ability. where and when this ability was lost is a great mystery to me…I think the last class of surface warships which can be considered a success were the BURKE class destroyers or the WASP class landing ships who’s lineage goes back to the late 1980’s.

the ZUMWALT like the GERALD FORD are both appallingly expensive engineering failures hundreds of millions overbudget and plagued with design and equipment flaws. The LCS’s are actually tiny failures in comparison to these but because so many are planned to be built they are the ones easiest to beat up on however ALL new warships are worthless PILES of CRAP!

btw, why is the Navee naming their newest aircraft carrier after a man who was not even elected to be president? At least they plan to name one after John F. Kennedy.

[QUOTE=c.captain;190717]the US Navee is now a lost child when it comes to building warships which are worth a shit and not obscenely overpriced. the LCS program is only a posterchild for this loss of knowledge and ability. where and when this ability was lost is a great mystery to me…I think the last class of surface warship which can be considered a success was the BURKE class destroyer who’s lineage goes back to the 1980’s.

the ZUMWALT like the GERALD FORD are both appallingly expensive failures hundreds of millions overbudget and plagued with design and equipment flaws.

btw, why is the Navee naming their newest aircraft carrier after a man who was not even elected to be president? At least they plan to name one after John F. Kennedy.[/QUOTE]

I thought there have been a USS John F. Kennedy for many years?: http://www.ussjfkri.org/
The plan is to name a future navy ship Robert F Kennedy: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-navy-ship-late-sen-robert-kennedy-42220875

[QUOTE=ombugge;190718]I thought there have been a USS John F. Kennedy for many years?[/QUOTE]

CV67 JOHN F. KENNEDY and CVN65 ENTERPRISE are both now decommissioned

CVN78 is the GERALD R. FORD

CVN79 is to be the JOHN F. KENNEDY

CVN80 is to be the ENTERPRISE

Nobody give him much credit for anything these days, but he is obviously smart enough not to buy Littoral Mission Ships from America: http://www.todayonline.com/world/malaysia-buy-navy-vessels-china-blow-us
He has probably been reading about the problems suffered by the US Navy with their LCS’ here on gcaptain forum. (Free expert advise)

here we go yet again

[B]U.S. Navy’s Newest Littoral Combat Ship Damaged (Again) in Panama Canal[/B]

November 1, 2016 by Mike Schuler

The U.S. Navy’s newest littoral combat ship USS Montgomery has had its hull cracked for a second time after hitting a lock wall during a transit of the Panama Canal, the U.S. Navy has confirmed.

The latest incident occurred Saturday, Oct. 29 during southbound transit of the Panama Canal’s old locks on its way to its homeport in San Diego

According to a Navy statement obtained by USNI News: “Under control of the local Panama Canal Pilot, the ship impacted the center lock wall and sustained an 18-inch-long crack between her port quarter and transom plates,” Cmdr. Ryan Perry with U.S. 3rd Fleet said. “The crack is located 8-10 feet above the waterline and poses no water intrusion or stability risk.”

The Panama Canal Authority provide the following statement to gCaptain:

[QUOTE]The Panama Canal reports that the incident recorded by the USS Montgomery in the Pedro Miguel Locks did not affect its transit, and the ship completed its passage through the waterway. Since the Canal transferred to Panamanian administration on December 31, 1999, safe transit indicators have improved, increasing customer confidence as the waterway handles increasingly larger vessels. The Panama Canal incident rate is 0.1%, for nearly 14,000 transits per year.

The incident is actually the third involving the USS Montgomery since it was commissioned September 10.

On October 4, the Montgomery suffered about a foot-long crack above the waterline after it was hit by a tug as the ship sortied from Mayport, Florida ahead of Hurricane Matthew. Three weeks prior, the Montgomery had two unrelated engine casualties within a 24-hour period while in the Gulf of Mexico during a transit from Mobile, Alabama, to San Diego, which is what sent the vessel to Naval Station Mayport for repairs in the first place.

USNI News noted in September that the engine trouble was the fifth LCS casualty within the last year.

The USS Montgomery is the fourth ship in the Navy’s Independence variant of the LCS, featuring an all-aluminum trimaran hull and built by Austal USA.

At a length of 127.4 meters and beam of 31.6 meters, the USS Montgomery is small enough to fit into the Panama Canal’s old locks, which use mules and embarked Panama Canal ship pilots to make the transit.

The full statement from the U.S. Navy is below and provided by USNI News:

On Oct. 29 USS Montgomery (LCS-8) sustained damage to her hull while transiting Southbound through the Gatun and Pedro Miguel locks of the Panama Canal. Under control of the local Panama Canal Pilot, the ship impacted the center lock wall and sustained an 18-inch-long crack between her port quarter and transom plates. The crack is located 8-10 feet above the waterline and poses no water intrusion or stability risk.

The ship has continued her transit as scheduled, has now exited the Panama Canal and is expected to arrive at her new homeport of San Diego next month.[/QUOTE]

how did the US Navee become so painfully obtuse to the idiocy of these ships?

It’s a good thing our enemy will be shooting BB guns at them. NOT!!! What a bunch of garbage. Ridiculous.

hell, I believe this version has a better chance of surviving a BB gun attack!

The stench is rising, Washington is smelling more like some African kleptocracy every day.

It reeks of Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea, or South Africa.

The Clintons are going to be positively giddy, frolicking in this endless sea of cash.

I don’t know why you guys are so upset? The outgoing Secretary of the Navy is VERY pleased with the work done by the two building yards;
Austral USA in Mississippi: http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2016/11/outgoing_navy_secretary_mabus.html

Fincantieri Marinette Marine in Wisconsin: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/money/2016/10/24/mabus-marinette-marine/92668244/

Could it be because both are foreign owned and operated yards, building over priced ships that doesn’t work, paid for by your hard earned tax dollars?

Let’s wait and see who funds his golden years …

Insanity…the Emperor truly has no clothes.

About as meaningful as the BP excellence award on the DH as it was fixin’ to blow up.