[QUOTE=Bmoore;134563]We need to keep in mind that the crew did all they could when the situation arose. The Master of the Aiviq at the time is a Damn fine Captian as well as the 3rd mate. People like to sit back and talk about what they would have done or not done, but until you are in the exact same situation you can not judge.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but the level of personal professional failure here is extreme. Simply the failure to exercise a master’s overriding authority trumps all the others. He should have called STOP…PERIOD!
Besides, I know the chief engineer and can say my professional opinion of him as that he is all hat and no cattle. A big loudmouth who professes being so damned good at his job but never really did a damned thing to improve a situation aboard yet constantly bitching.
Sure you can judge. The guy fucked up. He has the responsibility for the vessel and failed in a major way. If he was the ECO super captain he claimed to be, this wouldn’t have happened. Now he will probably have to answer to the CG for his decisions made during this voyage. His actions have all but closed the Alaskan offshore drilling plan for the last two years. Costing billions of dollars and hundreds if not thousands of good jobs. But I am sure he was a damn fine captain.
Yes he is fine captain. Once agian you can judge as you will, but the fact remains that you were not on board. As far as his abilities as a officer on board the Aiviq or the other vessels he was master on you would be hard pressed to find a crew member who would say he wasn’t a great captain. It was a bad situation that once it happend he stayed positive for the crew and kept them calm through it all. I would not hesitate to sail with him again.
[QUOTE=Bmoore;134569]Yes he is fine captain. Once agian you can judge as you will, but the fact remains that you were not on board. As far as his abilities as a officer on board the Aiviq or the other vessels he was master on you would be hard pressed to find a crew member who would say he wasn’t a great captain. It was a bad situation that once it happend he stayed positive for the crew and kept them calm through it all. I would not hesitate to sail with him again.[/QUOTE]
Say, hypothetically, in 20 foot seas your tow has a 80% chance of parting if you’re Joe Tugboat and a 70% chance of parting if you’re Capt Amazing. Is taking that tow into 30 foot sea a good idea or a bad idea? Joe Tugboat and Capt Amazing alike face a 100% chance of parting the tow wire.
If Capt Amazing wants to keep his reputation he has to know what the weather limit of the tow is and what the expected weather is.
[QUOTE=Bmoore;134563]We need to keep in mind that the crew did all they could when the situation arose. The Master of the Aiviq at the time is a Damn fine Captian as well as the 3rd mate. People like to sit back and talk about what they would have done or not done, but until you are in the exact same situation you can not judge.[/QUOTE]
Did you read the entire thread? I gave all crews involved a virtual gold Rolex.
No, when I have respect for a man that I sailed with is being bashed by a person who was not a crew member at the time I feel the need to inform the uninformed… such as yourself. I was on board the vessel before we left for Seattle all the way until we pulled it into the bay. I am still a crew member aboard the Aiviq. So does that make me a suck up? I don’t feel that voicing my professional opinion or my opinion as a crew member on the Aiviq that went through the occurrence makes me a suck up.
[QUOTE=Bmoore;134576]No, when I have respect for a man that I sailed with is being bashed by a person who was not a crew member at the time I feel the need to inform the uninformed… such as yourself. I was on board the vessel before we left for Seattle all the way until we pulled it into the bay. I am still a crew member aboard the Aiviq. So does that make me a suck up? I don’t feel that voicing my professional opinion or my opinion as a crew member on the Aiviq that went through the occurrence makes me a suck up.[/QUOTE]
What is your professional opinion on the required amount of surge gear for towing the Kulluk across the Gulf of Alaska in winter with a single 200 ton bollard pull tug?
we are NOT uninformed and for the most part are all highly experienced professionals here with valid opinions and observations regardless of your lone little voice squeaking otherwise…
I was on board the vessel before we left for Seattle all the way until we pulled it into the bay. I am still a crew member aboard the Aiviq. So does that make me a suck up?
I will let the jury decide that one…
I don’t feel that voicing my professional opinion or my opinion as a crew member on the Aiviq that went through the occurrence makes me a suck up.
well if the foo shits, wear it I always say…
ps…let me give you a little kind advice here son…when an angry mob is all demanding a man’s head on a pike, it is wise to not stand in the way of them lest you get your head stuck to a pointy stick as well…remaining quiet will do you a world of good regardless of what you personally feel inside…
Uninformed as to the nature of the Captain. I am not asking anyone not have an opinion as a matter of fact that is why I like reading the threads on this forum. I just hope people will remind them self that incidents like this or worse can happen to anyone of us in the maritime industry. The captain has a family and a job that will be affected by this.
[QUOTE=Bmoore;134579]The captain has a family and a job that will be affected by this.[/QUOTE]
THEN HE SHOULD HAVE DONE HIS JOB AS a PROFESSIONAL MARINER AND SAID A CLEAR [B]“NO” [/B]TO ECO & SHELL WHEN HE HAD DOUBTS AS TOWARDS THE SAFETY OF THE SHIP AND TOW! THAT IS WHAT A MAN WITH INTEGRITY DOES WHEN HE IS FACED WITH SUCH A CHOICE. YOU SAY “GET ANOTHER CAPTAIN BECAUSE I AM NOT GOING TO DO THIS”!
[QUOTE=Bmoore;134563]We need to keep in mind that the crew did all they could when the situation arose. The Master of the Aiviq at the time is a Damn fine Captian as well as the 3rd mate. People like to sit back and talk about what they would have done or not done, but until you are in the exact same situation you can not judge.[/QUOTE]
If you want people to admire your skills get a job running tourists around on a boat in the harbor, If you go for high profile deep-sea tow jobs in shit weather you’d better do it right cause I can tell you there is not a whole lot of love at that level if you make a mistake.
[QUOTE=Bmoore;134579]Uninformed as to the nature of the Captain. I am not asking anyone not have an opinion as a matter of fact that is why I like reading the threads on this forum. I just hope people will remind them self that incidents like this or worse can happen to anyone of us in the maritime industry. The captain has a family and a job that will be affected by this.[/QUOTE]
There were 18 men on that rig, more than likely with families… They would have been pretty damn affected had the worst happened.
[QUOTE=Bmoore;134563]We need to keep in mind that the crew did all they could when the situation arose. - snip- .[/QUOTE]
The point of planning operations is to avoid situation where the crew is required to do all they can. That’s where this tow fell short. Pilots have a saying; “A superior pilot uses his superior judgment to avoid situations that would require the use of his superior skills.”
[QUOTE=Bmoore;134569]Yes he is fine captain. Once agian you can judge as you will, but the fact remains that you were not on board. As far as his abilities as a officer on board the Aiviq or the other vessels he was master on you would be hard pressed to find a crew member who would say he wasn’t a great captain. It was a bad situation that once it happend he stayed positive for the crew and kept them calm through it all. I would not hesitate to sail with him again.[/QUOTE]
What is your position onboard? How much towing experience do you have? Where? I am just wondering what is you basis for calling him a “fine captain”
After the KULLUK incident, I recall a former long time ECO captain,and well respected member of gcaptain posting, that the lead captain on the AIVIQ had a lot of towing experience, and if he had been still aboard for the KULLUK tow, it would have probably been conducted successfully. However, that the relief captain, who was the captain when the AIVIQ lost the tow, had very little actual towing experience.
By this time 15 months later, I have had a chance to speak with several people who were there onboard AIVIQ or other vessels involved in the KULLUK tow or rescue. The captain was described to me as guy with a big ego who ran a very unhappy ship, and refused to listen to the advice of experienced Alaska mariners on scene. I have heard that experienced Alaska mariners onboard warned him not to proceed over the shallow water and strong currents at Albatross Bank. That “fine captain” dismissed that advice out of hand and proceeded into peril.
That “fine captain” through his incompetence has set Arctic oil drill back for several years, if not for ever.
[QUOTE=tugsailor;134588]What is your position onboard? How much towing experience do you have? Where? I am just wondering what is you basis for calling him a “fine captain”[/QUOTE]
I wonder if our fine fellow is the unnamed “third mate” upon who’s watch the towline was allowed to fluctuate its tension out of control until the main tow shackle failed?
I FUCKING HATE PUKES WHO DEFEND THE UNDEFENDABLE…it flushes their credibility right down the effing crapper!
I think bmoore is more likely an oiler or galleyhand and one of a very few guys onboard for that tow that is still with the AIVIQ. I’ve heard that “virtually everyone” left AIVIQ and ECO after the incident. Bmoore probably sailed with that “fine captain” for many years in the Gulf of Mexico. There is something to be said for a loyal friend and crewman that will stand by his captain right or wrong. But their is a big difference between that, and being qualified to voice a “professional opinion” about the captain’s performance. The facts speak for themselves.
Why is it that no one is mentioning this “fine captain’s” name?
[QUOTE=tugsailor;134591]Why is it that no one is mentioning this “fine captain’s” name?[/QUOTE]
I believe poor wretch’s name John Skoglund…a pie eyed disciple of Mr. Gary to be sure! How else would one get the job? Not like they went looking for a man with the right experience outside ECO’s ranks of sycophant kool-aid drinkers.
btw, I agree with you about “blind devotion” in the GoM. saw it all first hand at OCLLC. How else could a blithering illiterate idiot make chief engineer unless he had a senior captain smoothing the waters for him? Oh, how I could tell sorted stories but I will defer.
reading the report there wasnt anyone on board that really had any great experience in Alaska towing, the best had 2 trips, whats that 6 months experience in a career?