King's Point Superintendent Reassigned... and MARAD has NOTHING to say about it

What gives?

The Kings Point Alumni association is in a total uproar over RADM Green’s unexpected reassignment. I just got this from the Chairman of the KP Alumni Assn today:

We appreciate the thoughtful suggestions and the ready state of our KP Alumni to act - NOW!
The overwhelming theme of responses received was to request the immediate return of RADM Greene '78 to Kings Point, as Superintendent.

In these past 13.5 months, Rear Admiral Greene '78 has removed years of ambiguity, uncertainty and stalemated progress at Kings Point. He has restored order and organization, pride and professionalism, and the credibility that the United States Merchant Marine Academy should hold among the 5 Federal Service Academies. RADM Greene has restored the confidence of the Regiment of Midshipmen. He has made remarkable progress in his short tenure, but there is much more ahead to be accomplished. Kings Point needs the vision and leadership of Admiral Greene! As clearly stated by DOT Secretary Ray Lahood (March 3, 2011 Fast Lane), “The new Superintendent really gets it!”

We hereby request that all KP Alumni, Midshipman Parents, Current Midshipmen and all Friends of Kings Point, send a brief e-mail to DOT Secretary Ray LaHood ray.lahood@dot.gov, respectfully requesting the immediate re-assignment of Admiral Greene back to Kings Point as Superintendent!

Fraternally,
Gary G. Hicks ‘76
Chairman

What’s the backstory? I know some of you really want to open this up… Why would a Superintendent who has made a lot of positive contributions to the US Merchant Marine Academy be “quietly” fired.

From our Facebook comment thread:
—————————
Make no mistake – the Superintendent was “dismissed”. In government speak he was “ reassigned”. As a member of the Senior Executive Service (SES) and upon completing one year of probation the employee can be reassigned to any other position in the system. The National Defense University is inconsequential to the story. They had to put him somewhere.

The alumni, parents, friends, the industry, and the Regiment of Midshipmen all felt he was the right man for the job and the perfect fit. Apparently the current administration did not feel the same way. We are still hoping for an explanation but I personally am not holding my breath. There are many theories out there but as of now none have been substantiated.

We don’t know what Plan B is other than the Dean is once again the Interim Superintendent (third time in three years; that says a lot all by itself). Would anyone of any significance take this job? What kind of individual will we really get? Under what restrictions will this person have to agree to in order to get the job?

It is a very sad time for the Academy and I have never seen the alumni as upset as they are today.
—————————

TIMELINE OF EVENTS:

Here’s the printed info from the Alumni & Foundation Association meeting at the Academy yesterday…

Sun. Aug. 14: e-mail from Ray LaHood: “Admiral Greene, Congrats on a great opening day ceremony. You have much to be proud of even in the short time at the helm. We are grateful for your service and willingness to continue to serve and rebulid the MMA. Best, Ray LaHood.”

Fri., Sept. 2: Parents Weekend with attendance by Orlando Gotay, Deputy Maritime Administrator. Admiral Greene learns that Gotay is hosting an evening get-together with a number of Midshipmen at the house of Commander Mund. He learns that these get togethers have been going on for a couple of years.

Tues., Sept. 6: Admiral Greene advises John Porcari, Deputy Secretary of Transportation of Gotay’s fraternizing with Midshipmen on his visits to the Academy. Porcari expresses outrage and comments that “this is actionable”.

Thurs., Sept. 8: A conference call is held between the Foundation (Hill and Dombrowski), Admiral Greene and MARAD/DOT (Matsuda and several lawyers from MARAD and DOT) on the Strategic Plan. Agreement on all outstanding issues is reached, with DOT lawyers pushing Masuda to acceptance. A DOT lawyer volunteers to re-draft the documents to reflect the agreement.

Mon. Sept. 12, 4:57 PM: Wondering why the documents have not been quickly turned around, Admiral Greene sends the following e-mail to Judy Kaleta, the DOT lawyer: “Judy, I appreciate your effort to move things forward. Are we close to a documenbt to review? Thanks for your engagement on this project”.

Mon. Sept. 12, 7:22 PM: Judy Kaleta responded with the following: " Hi Phil, we’re close. Inches from the goal line. I shared with the Administrator first. He asked me to make a change and I have to do that tonight. I’m on a plane now but should be able to get to it when I land. I know everyday is important. I will do my best to keep you posted. Judy".

Mon. Sept. 12, 8:56 PM: Admiral Greene responded with the following: “Judy, many thanks for your kind reply. This has been a journey of its own. Travel safe. Phil”

Tues. Sept. 13, 4:17 PM: When no documents were received during working hours on Tues., Admiral Greene sent the following e-mail to Matsuda (with a cc to Judy Kaleta) : Dave, hope your trip is going well. Do you have a revised document for review? If available, would appreciate your sending along. Thanks! Phil.

Tues. Sept. 13, 4:28 PM: Matsuda immediately sent the following reply: Phil - I thought I forwarded you something yesterday, but will double check. I am good with it. Judy-can you send the final to Phil?"

Wed., Sept. 14: Nothing happens.

Thurs, Sept. 15, 8:07 AM: Admiral Greene sends the following e-mail to Matsuda: “Dave, know you have been on travel, but was hoping to see the turn-around of the document to Charlie Hill and Ray Dombrowski occur soonest. Last week all concerned expressed a sense of urgency to keep this moving so just trying to keep this on the front burner. Thanks”

Thurs, Sept. 15, 8:10 AM: Masuda repokes immediately with: "Agreed. We shoud be able to get back today.:

Thurs., Sept. 15, late afternoon: Admiral Greene is told he is to attend a meeting at 4:30 PM the following day at Ray LaHood’s office to discuss the Strategic Plan. We speculate that he is gathering everyone together to ensure a willingness to work toward the common objective.

Fri., Sept. 16: Admiral Greene is advised that Orlando Gotay has tendered his resignation, effective immediately. LaHood states that it had been decided at a meeting the previous day to reject the Strategic Plan gift from the Foundation. Admiral Greene asks for a one on one with LaHood which is granted. Admiral Greene discovers that Lahood has been misinformed (told that the Foundation gift was an “outsourcing” of the SP). LaHood agrees to reconsider the decision and get back to him on Monday.

Lahood goes on to criticize Matsuda, saying that Matsuda never should have put Gotay in charge of overseeing the Academy and, if Matsuda didn’t get his act together quickly, he (Lahood) would assume oversight himself. Admiral Greene expresses his own frustration with MARAD and states he would welcome the change.

LaHood praises the job Admiral Greene is doing and asks him to please not walk away—LaHood needs him and will get things straightened out.

Mon./Tues. Sept. 19/20: Nothing is heard from LaHood.

Mon., Sept. 19: An anonymous hate letter is sent to MARAD, DOT, MJ, Newsday, et al accusing Admiral Greene, certain staff members and Admiral Greene’s wife of improprieties.

Thurs., Sept. 22: As if on cue, Matsuda and five staffers descend on the Academy to look into the charges.

Fri., Sept 23: Admiral Greene goes to DC for the Silver Star presentation and is told by Porcari that he needs to take the same decisive action on the anonymous letter that Porcari took with Gotay.

Mon./Tues./Wed., Sept. 26,27,28: MARAD staffers continue investigations.

Fri., Sept 30: Jerry Rehm is told by Denise Krepp that the decision on the Strategic Plan is on hold.

Mon., Oct. 2: Admiral Greene learns that the Strategic Plan assignment had been awarded to Price Waterhouse the previous Friday (the same day Krepp was telling Jerry Rehm that it was on hold). He is informed that Porcari and Matsuda would be visiting him at the Academy the following day, Tuesday.

Tues., Oct. 3: Porcari and Matsuda visit with Admiral Greene and present him with an insulting and inflammatory letter of termination. Admiral Greene asks to meet with LaHood and a meeting in DC is arranged for 7:30 AM the following day.

Wed., Oct. 4: The meeting is held in Porcari’s office. LaHood enters and is barely civil, briefly stating tha a change is needed. Admiral Greene states his case that this move is a mistake for many reasons. LaHood states that they feel they are making the right decision and leaves the office after stating that if Admiral Greene agrees to resign they could offer a package he might like. Porcari explains the package (a 12 month assignment to the National Defense University as the Transportation Chair) and advises Admiral Greene that the inflammatory letter of dismissal would be withdrawn if he accepts.

[B]TIME TO CLOSE THAT FESTERING CESSPOOL OF GOVERNMENT WASTE AND CORRUPTION!

[/B]Why are us taxpayers forking out $400k per KP graduate the same third mates and engineers that each of the state schools produces? At least make the grads do active duty in the armed forces before starting private life. Anything to recoup that investment.

KP was needed in 1943 but not in 2011. WWII is over, we aren’t building thousands of merchant ships now to fight a world war!

Er, wow. Very interesting.

Sounds like the anonymous letter was sent by CDR Mund

Sounds like a lot of political infighting and CYA to me.

I never thought of Mund as the type to backstab like that.

Everyone does some military time and some industry time. It’s not like we walk away and start doing whatever we want the day after graduation. They have definitely cracked down in recent years. I hear MARAD won’t let you work shore side these days, you have to sail.

Mund seemed like a good guy but he definitely had his “special” midshipmen the whole time I was there. If you were on a first-name basis with Mund, nothing else mattered. You could go to his house to “study”, watch tv, eat, drink, whatever. It was like a private club. And you were probably going to get one of the top posts come senior year. I always thought it was very fishy and unfair and apparently Admiral Greene thought so too. It wasn’t just when the Deputy Maritime Administrator came to town that the fraternization happened. It was those “special” midshipmen that got to rub elbows with the big-wigs. When Greene threatened Mund’s inappropriate arrangement, suddenly an anonymous letter got shotgunned to the feds and the media. Sounds like quite the coincidence to me.

MARAD has nothing to say about it because the scandal is too ridiculous, they are embarrassed that this went on for so long and had no idea. Or even worse, they did have an idea and no one did anything about it until RADM Greene discovered that CDR Mund was pimping out male MIDN to Gotay for years, the most recent occurring in August 2011. What happened was not just inappropriate behavior, it was illegal, immoral, and a disgrace to a federal academy and the United States Government.

The following is a chronology and the results of Secretary LaHood’s visit to King’s Point yesterday…

12:10 P.M. - Address to the Regiment of Midshipmen
Secretary LaHood joined the Midshipmen for lunch in Delano Hall. He spoke for 5 minutes reiterating the support of the DOT and his personal interest and support for funding of the Academy. Secretary LaHood stated his intention that Kings Point should be the jewel of the 5 Federal Service Academies.

2:00 P.M. - Address to Academy Faculty and Staff & Question / Answer Session
Highlights / Results of the Presentation -
(1) Governance of the Academy by MARAD being reviewed
(2) Secretary LaHood supports the Academy, and will provide funding required for Operations and Capital Improvements
(3) DOT is progressing with a Strategic Plan for the Academy
(4) Search is underway for the “Best Superintendent” for the Academy
(5) Secretary Lahood will provide no information or explanation for the “reassignment” of USMMA Superintendent - Rear Admiral Philip H. Greene JR (KP '78)
(6) Secretary LaHood stated his intention that Kings Point should be the jewel of the 5 Federal Service Academies.

3:00 P.M. - Meeting with KP Alumni Leadership
Secretary Lahood requested and attended this meeting with Charlie Hill '65 - Chairman, USMMAAF, Ray Dombrowski '76 - Vice Chairman (Finance), USMMAAF, Captain Jim Tobin '77 - President, USMMAAF, Gary G. Hicks '76 - Chairman, USMMA KPA-CPA and Joanne R. Hicks - Recording Secretary, USMMA KPA-CPA.
Highlights / Results of the Presentation -
(1) Governance of the Academy by MARAD being reviewed
(2) Secretary LaHood supports the Academy, and will provide funding required for Operations and Capital Improvements
(3) DOT is progressing with a Strategic Plan for the Academy
(4) Search is underway for the “Best Superintendent” for the Academy
(5) Secretary Lahood will provide no information or explanaition for the “reassignment” of USMMA Superintendent - Rear Admiral Philip H. Greene JR (KP '78)
(6) Secretary LaHood stated his intention that Kings Point should be the jewel of the 5 Federal Service Academies.
(7) RADM Greene '78 would NOT be re-instated as Superintendent, USMMA

Additional meetings were held by the KPA-CPA and USMMAAF leadership teams with the senior leadership of the Academy, including:
Dr. Shashi Kumar, Master Mariner - Interim Superintendent & Academic Dean, Captain Robert DeStafney, USMS - Acting Commandant of Midshipmen, and Captain Eric York Wallischeck - Chief of Staff. A meeting was also held with the Midshipman Regimental Leadership team reassuring them of the interest and support of the KP Alumni.

Maybe they should make that huge elephant that seems to have found it’s home in Great Neck the new Supe.

1 Like

I think the best idea so far was suggested in post #4:

“TIME TO CLOSE THAT FESTERING CESSPOOL OF GOVERNMENT WASTE AND CORRUPTION!”

As if 4 service academies weren’t enough already, why the hell are we wasting what little money the country has left to produce baby license holders with no jobs to fill? Take 10 percent of what that monument to waste and fraud consumes and use it to fund scholarships for young men and women who have already demonstrated a desire and ability to work in the industry.

to c.captain:

First off, check your facts, the education cost is about $250,000 per midshipman that does go through here and each mid does have a service requirement after graduation in either active duty or maritime industry. If kids want to go become doctors or lawyers after that, by all means, that’s their choice but they do put in the time.

You think that KP is not needed anymore??? how can you look at everything that is happening to the maritime industry in the US and say that we don’t need any individual that is willing to enter into it? i don’t understand how anyone can say that they don’t like KP graduates because we went through this school for free.

[QUOTE=Steamer;56695]I think the best idea so far was suggested in post #4:

“TIME TO CLOSE THAT FESTERING CESSPOOL OF GOVERNMENT WASTE AND CORRUPTION!”

As if 4 service academies weren’t enough already, why the hell are we wasting what little money the country has left to produce baby license holders with no jobs to fill? Take 10 percent of what that monument to waste and fraud consumes and use it to fund scholarships for young men and women who have already demonstrated a desire and ability to work in the industry.[/QUOTE]

That is such BS! who’s to say that the men and women that go to KP don’t want to work in the industry? The academy is open to anyone who wants to apply so it’s unfair to say that someone who did not apply to the academy should get it instead. I’m not dissing the state schools, i think that we need everything we can in the US to get the maritime industry back up on its feet. As far as i’m concerned, the state schools should have scholarships too. each graduate from state schools and KP pay more money in taxes than most graduates so why not get compensated for it? I know that Mass Maritime was petitioning the Massachusetts state government for that very thing.

[QUOTE=Kings Pointer;56697]to c.captain:

First off, check your facts, the education cost is about $250,000 per midshipman that does go through here and each mid does have a service requirement after graduation in either active duty or maritime industry.[/QUOTE]

1st: KP’s annual budget including capital improvements is over $100M/yr so if they graduate 250 midshipmen a year then vis. each graduate costs $400k.

2nd: The active duty service option is voluntary not mandatory and the reserve obligation is a joke. As far as working in the maritime industry goes, if I and all other taxpayers are footing the bill to the tune of $400k for someone to work in private industry then each those graduates should have to pay me back unless they do active duty. KP would dry up and blow away under those terms. IT’S A GODDAMN MILITARY ACADEMY FOR CHRIST’S SAKE…THE GRADS SHOULD HAVE TO SERVE JUST AS AT ANNAPOLIS OR WEST POINT IF THEY WANT THE FREE RIDE!

Not only is KP a massive monument to Federal Government waste but it is a fertile feeding ground to the most aggregeous corruption imaginable…it is all in the record in case you have been brainwashed by the “Administration” so ahead my most exhalted and grandiose Kings Pointer…give me your best shot now! I’ll be waiting right here for you.

[QUOTE=Kings Pointer;56699]That is such BS! who’s to say that the men and women that go to KP don’t want to work in the industry?[/QUOTE]

Who said they don’t want to work in the industry? I said that it is a colossal waste of taxpayer funds to support a pseudo military academy based on the fiction that it produces merchant mariners.

If you look at the “cesspool” of institutionalized incompetence and waste at MARAD you see the final product of KP. It is the institution that is corrupt and failed, not the students themselves. The kids who apply and attend are wide eyed little birds with their mouths wide open, hungry for an education and a chance at a career. The institution’s first objective is to sustain its own existence and to do that it has to produce the likes of those we now see pouring the Kool-Aid, hiding in the shadows, or covering up what might be considered criminal activity.

What is wrong with KP is not the fault of 18 year old kids. It is the result of directed and institutionalized corruption and personal greed fueled by the public treasury and maintained by the fantasy of a benefit to the national security. It is a symbol of governmental decay, it is a threat to the standards its leadership uses a a shield.

Close it today, it will not be missed. As a matter of fact, very few in this country would even know it was gone.

Your math is fuzzy. That only works if you don’t count any of the money going towards any of the other 750 midshipmen. I also don’t think it is necessarily the most accurate means to include capital improvement money since that money is only for improving buildings and such and wont always be a part of the budget but that is getting pretty far down in the weeds.

2nd: The active duty service option is voluntary not mandatory and the reserve obligation is a joke.

I incurred a longer obligation than any other Service Academy graduate. I had to do eight years vs. the “five and dive” of everyone else. True, the reserve obligation used to be a joke but it isn’t any more. Many have gotten called up and sent to the middle east, I was mobilized twice.[/QUOTE]

As far as working in the maritime industry goes, if I and all other taxpayers are footing the bill to the tune of $400k for someone to work in private industry then each those graduates should have to pay me back unless they do active duty. KP would dry up and blow away under those terms. IT’S A GODDAMN MILITARY ACADEMY FOR CHRIST’S SAKE…THE GRADS SHOULD HAVE TO SERVE JUST AS AT ANNAPOLIS OR WEST POINT IF THEY WANT THE FREE RIDE!

So how much do all the graduating high school seniors owe you for their free education paid for by your tax dollars? Just think about how many millions of kids are out there earning a living in private industry and using the education you paid for. Lets reinstitute the draft to get you your money back!

Not only is KP a massive monument to Federal Government waste but it is a fertile feeding ground to the most aggregeous corruption imaginable…it is all in the record in case you have been brainwashed by the “Administration” so ahead my most exhalted and grandiose Kings Pointer…give me your best shot now! I’ll be waiting right here for you…

Government at any level does not exist without waste. I wont pretend that KP is immune but it is definitely not “massive”. It is not even small potatoes … its tiny potatoes. That doesn’t make it OK, but be careful you don’t give yourself a coronary Captain Quixote.

But he has a point. The money would go farther if given out as federal scholarships to students at the state schools because those schools know how to run themselves financially. Not to mention the quality of instruction difference. KP ranked in the top listing of schools with the worst instructors and the KP grads I work work agree that the instructors there are horrible.

If the academy is disbanded then it comes down to applying to a scholarship. No one is saying that the money should be given to a random student who didn’t apply, but make the kids who would apply to the academy apply for the federal scholarship instead. It makes a lot of sense really. It is proven that government bureaucracy is many times more inefficient at anything than private sector, why would a school be any different. The money would go further as a scholarship then funding KP.

His math works, because if you divided the annual budget by 1000 then multiplied that by 4 years you would get the same result as dividing the annual budget by 250.

Can we stick to the topic at hand please?! This thread was started with Admiral Greene getting reassigned and wtf happened. Take the KP vs. maritime academies argument to another thread.