Kidnapped off Nigeria – An American Ship Captain Unveils the Truth

LOL BP oil spill? Didn’t have to go to Nigeria for some fuel shaving profit in that one.

Let’s see: four guys in a runabout with an outboard motor hijack a tanker. It plays out on international news. The captain writes a book about it. A big-time movie starring TomHanks is made about it. And now talking about piracy on gcaptain is something that is going to put people at risk.

Do you think they don’t know that these ships (and boats) are unarmed? That there is little international protection?

I think the cat is already out of the bag.

[QUOTE=c.captain;134552]I’ve worked with American masters who have been in Nigeria and they have told me all the stories of the “shaving” and how much money they made from it. It is big money we are talking about here and I cannot believe how the majors like Chevron allow it to take place but they do. However when one does enter into the “business” they begin to walk in a minefield. I do believe that there is much more to this story than Wren is telling us.

All that said, I have nothing but scorn for companies like ECO and how they treat their mariners. Plain and simple we are NOT RESPECTED by them but instead are a necessary evil in their eyes they much put up with!

NOBODY HAS CLEAN HANDS HERE INCLUDING WREN![/QUOTE]

The LIPSCOMB LYKES, (ex ARIZONA and current CAPE INTREPID), alongside in Kobe. Feed pump rebuild. . . . Fall of 1979.

[QUOTE=c.captain;134552]I’ve worked with American masters who have been in Nigeria and they have told me all the stories of the “shaving” and how much money they made from it. It is big money we are talking about here and I cannot believe how the majors like Chevron allow it to take place but they do. However when one does enter into the “business” they begin to walk in a minefield. I do believe that there is much more to this story than Wren is telling us.

All that said, I have nothing but scorn for companies like ECO and how they treat their mariners. Plain and simple we are NOT RESPECTED by them but instead are a necessary evil in their eyes they much put up with!

NOBODY HAS CLEAN HANDS HERE INCLUDING WREN![/QUOTE]

If I am not mistaken, this kind of thing used to go in the US GOM some years ago, in 82. When I started sailing for Crowley, I would hear stories from some of the ex-offshore hands about setting up shop offshore and selling fuel to whoever would come by. I am sure that some of that is bullshit, but I heard it from too many independent sources to discount it.

Edison Chouest’s leadership still hasn’t reached out to Captain Thomas…

Pretty crappy way to treat someone if you ask me.

[QUOTE=rob;137582]Edison Chouest’s leadership still hasn’t reached out to Captain Thomas…

Pretty crappy way to treat someone if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. But if he has the skills and experience described, what would he need Chouest for? He can get his stuff together and obtain better opportunities elsewhere.

Some of you obviously don’t know wren…

[QUOTE=boatengineer;137597]Some of you obviously don’t know wren…[/QUOTE]

Obviously. gcaptain has a large mostly anonymous international population. So quite obviously, only a tiny percentage of us would know any particular person.

What is 30k in fuel to conduct business as usual for oil and it’s support companies. I just worked with a 2nd mate who told me Exxon made 5 billion dollars off [B]one[/B] well they had off some west Africa country (he worked on an offshore production vessel). He told me the country ruler (it wasn’t Nigeria) lived like a king and everyone else was living in squalor. Africa is its own worse enemy and has been abusing itself for eons.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;137595]Absolutely. But if he has the skills and experience described, what would he need Chouest for? He can get his stuff together and obtain better opportunities elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
Perhaps just a courtesy call that shows he cares, like “Hey Wren, sorry about what happened, what can we do to help?”

That’s what leaders do.

[QUOTE=rob;137668]Perhaps just a courtesy call that shows he cares, like “Hey Wren, sorry about what happened, what can we do to help?”

That’s what leaders do.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Hopefully, this will remind someone of what ought to be done.

No chance in hell, he’ll get a call. They could care less about him. I imagine they are pissed he cost them a few bucks to get released.