Keppel to try again to build drillships

we know their last attempt at doing this were two pure abortions but that was mostly the result of the [DELETED] gang of thieves imo yet one must ask if they have any particular advantage over the Koreans who are the undisputed champions in this arena. Keppel can build a semi just fine but do they have the right stuff to deliver a drillship that is as good as a Samsung or Daewoo or Hyundai for the same price? Is there any particular reason anyone will want one of these?

[B]Keppel to build new differentiated drillship to its proprietary design[/B]

12/12/2013

SINGAPORE – Keppel FELS Ltd (Keppel FELS), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Keppel Offshore & Marine Ltd (Keppel O&M), is proceeding with the building of its new CAN DO drillship.

When completed in 2016, the drillship is expected to be a state-of-the-art deepwater exploration, development and completion drilling vessel.
Mr Chow Yew Yuen, COO and CEO-designate, Keppel O&M, commented, "As with all our market established proprietary designs, our new CAN DO drillship design was developed in close consultation with customers, major oil companies and vendors. The newly developed design is capable of handling next generation 20K psi blowout preventers.

“While most modern drillships currently in operation were designed and built for exploration drilling, industry feedback has revealed the need for vessels capable of performing development and completion drilling in addition to exploration drilling. Since the launch of our design earlier this year, we have received very encouraging response from the market, and we have decided to start constructing the first drillship to this design. We believe the drillship meets the high functionality, safety and cost-effective requirements of the industry.”

Jointly developed by Keppel Offshore & Marine Technology Centre, the R&D arm of Keppel O&M, and its design partner GustoMSC, Keppel’s CAN DO drillship is designed to overcome the constraints of limited deck space found in most modern day drillships.

Apart from incorporating exploration drilling requirements, the design allows for the installation of third party equipment invariably required for development and completion drilling through the incorporation of a large functional deck space. In addition, the drillship has a double blowout preventer stack integrated into the design, and has a riser hold capacity meeting 12,000 ft water depth with the flexibility of storing either 75-ft or 90-ft long risers.

The drillship has been model tested at the MARIN facility in the Netherlands and has also obtained class approval for the basic design. A full 3D model has been created for construction purposes.

A further announcement will be made once a firm contract has been secured for this drillship unit.

It certainly appears from reading this press release that no major drilling contractor is in this announcement.

I thought the rush to build was over…
speaking of which I wonder how many had accommodation to suit MLC 2006?

[QUOTE=powerabout;126237]I thought the rush to build was over…
speaking of which I wonder how many had accommodation to suit MLC 2006?[/QUOTE]

what on earth is MLC2006? Not another IMO Convention I pray?

Nothing us US mariners need worry about.

[QUOTE=z-drive;126255]Nothing us US mariners need worry about.[/QUOTE]
at the moment anyway whilst in the US but US flag might need to be compliant when overseas, not sure…makes life better for the mariner and hits the owner / charterer
big issue a 3 watches per 24hr period amongst some other basic human rights that ship owners have been able to avoid for years
Of course the USCG couldnt have anything to do with anything thats helps the mariner and costs their bosses could they( the ship owners)

I imagine that site is blocked by the NSA, can you get to it? ,lol

Lol yea. I know some have been building to comply (c.captains boy Shane I think?) but I’ve read a bunch of articles and the whole compliance and actually implementing it seems quite the undertaking! Will be something to see it unfold.

[QUOTE=z-drive;126270]Lol yea. I know some have been building to comply (c.captains boy Shane I think?) but I’ve read a bunch of articles and the whole compliance and actually implementing it seems quite the undertaking! Will be something to see it unfold.[/QUOTE]

but what exactly is all this? Part of ILO? Please tell!

Is your search function broke?

Maritime Professional 3Q 2013 page 10

[QUOTE=z-drive;126274]Is your search function broke?[/QUOTE]

Alright already…I looked it up but seriously wondering how this proposed ship would be in some violation of the Convention? I see the US is not a signatory to it so if those ships might come here it is a rather moot point. Neither is Brazil nor Angola I might add.

Now what about the ships themselves? Are they big enough. Have enough deck space, or ballast capacity (something the BULLY drillships miserably lack)? What does Keppel think will make them in any way better than the designs that have been built and perfected now for a decade and a half?

[QUOTE=powerabout;126262]at the moment anyway whilst in the US but US flag might need to be compliant when overseas, not sure…makes life better for the mariner and hits the owner / charterer
big issue a 3 watches per 24hr period amongst some other basic human rights that ship owners have been able to avoid for years

Of course the USCG couldnt have anything to do with anything that helps the mariner and costs their bosses could they( the ship owners)[/QUOTE]

Yes, running a three watch ship in the offshore is a big issue that the owners cringe at having to face and will do all in their power to prevent. It is a 12 and 12 world. Has been forever and will be forever as long as the operators don’t have pesky regulatory bodies or miserable unions to contend with.

Of course, just getting to even time onboard and off is enough of a hurdle to overcome but it appears to be happening so anything is possible.

[QUOTE=c.captain;126288]Yes, running a three watch ship in the offshore is a big issue that the owners cringe at having to face and will do all in their power to prevent. It is a 12 and 12 world. Has been forever and will be forever as long as the operators don’t have pesky regulatory bodies or miserable unions to contend with.

Of course, just getting to even time onboard and off is enough of a hurdle to overcome but it appears to be happening so anything is possible.[/QUOTE]
Maybe drilling will get away with it and when on a passage they would have enough crew to show a 3 watch routine for when they arrive in a foreign port?

[QUOTE=z-drive;126274]Is your search function broke?[/QUOTE]
Where is C.captain when you need him to tear someone a new one when they wouldnt look something up themselves!

[QUOTE=cali deckie;126329]Where is C.captain when you need him to tear someone a new one when they wouldnt look something up themselves![/QUOTE]

NYAH!..AND NUTS To YOU TOO!