Jumping back in the pond

Hey everyone, I’ll get straight to the point. A number of years ago I took a detour from the offshore scene because of a piece of a@% ( I love honesty) and let my license expire while doing other things. Now I desperately miss that salty spray and have taken steps to get that license back. By the way, master 200 nc, master 500 inland mate 1600 inland. I know what I need to do and am not unfamiliar with the bayou, I worked for Abdon Callais back in the day. However, I do have a few questions I think you can answer for me.

Should I forego my 500master/1600 mate inland and just re-apply for my 200 nc to avoid testing at a rec center so I can save some time?

Should I take my time to get my BST, DP, etc. , or just get the minimum coverage?

Will anyone talk to me without BST?

I’m not afraid of work, I did my share of 10 week hitches on 120’ crewboats but is there plenty of work right now? Any advantage to 200 ton amymore?

Thanks
Ready to get wet!!

According to other peoples posts, things have been good down on the bayou for door knocking.

It would help to get anything and everything you can before you interview, just to show you are serious. Maybe take the classes required for your AB, in addition to your 200 ton master. You should be able to knock out the classes in 3 weeks or so.

Check quality maritime, Houston marine, or Mpt. Seems like you can do a quick search for classes online.

Sent from my SeaPhone using gCaptain.

Thanks Swamp, I’m serious no question about it and from the posts I’ve been reading, I agree about getting as much as possible before door knocking. I’m not so sure about AB yet even though i will need it for an upgrade, just seems a little premature for trying to expedite the process of getting my license back.

[QUOTE=Knottyboy;70693]and let my license expire while doing other things. Now I desperately miss that salty spray and have taken steps to get that license back. [/QUOTE]

You’re effing kidding! You really let a full year go by without going in to renew because of a woman? I don’t know if you’ve got common sense enough to be working on vessels!

sorry, but man I have to be honest as well…

Ha, not that simple or it would be stupid thats true. My license expired in 2007 when i already had 6 yrs in at the railroad back home in kentucky. Married and good payin job, I never thought I would use it again, but been missing the water for long time. Not to mention, slim pick of vessels to keep recency when your landlocked. I appreciate your honesty cap but dont jump to conclusions.

[QUOTE=Knottyboy;70736] I appreciate your honesty cap but dont jump to conclusions.[/QUOTE]

Ok, fair enough. I’m just sorry that you have to start over again. Why do you say that you don’t have to retest for the 200ton NC license? I thought if a license expired for more than one year required that the person retake the exams?

I would have to retest for sure but could do it at an approved school versus testing at a rec center for the 500t.

[QUOTE=Knottyboy;70736]Ha, not that simple or it would be stupid thats true. My license expired in 2007 when i already had 6 yrs in at the railroad back home in kentucky. Married and good payin job, I never thought I would use it again, but been missing the water for long time. Not to mention, slim pick of vessels to keep recency when your landlocked. I appreciate your honesty cap but dont jump to conclusions.[/QUOTE]

Even being landlocked you could have renewed by submitting all the paperwork and taking the open book exam. No sea time needed.

Hmm, always thought I had to have that recency to renew. At the time I didnt think I would use the license again but its all hindsight now, just have to move forward and get it done.

Best of luck in your endeavor! :smiley:

[QUOTE=Flyer69;70746]Even being landlocked you could have renewed by submitting all the paperwork and taking the open book exam. No sea time needed.[/QUOTE]

So true. Went that route myself for several issues.

Except these days in order to renew STCW you need to take BST refresher and deck officer refresher.

Ahh, well I wasnt quite sure. The checklists say only first aid cpr and BST is optional. Gonna send in my application and let them kick back exactly what i need. Maybe do a little extra to show I’m serious about this to employers. Anybody know anything about Abdon Callais? Worked for them before…nice family business years ago.

BST is optional, yes. Without it you will be restricted to domestic only.

Anybody know anything about Abdon Callais? Worked for them before…nice family business years ago.

Not any more. Arthur Foret has turned it into a dictatorship with his goons running around tattling like 5 year olds.

Thats a shame, they used to be real easy to work for. Not to demanding and willing to accomodate extra time and days off.

Busted ass the last 6 months and my 200t Masters is in the mail!! Gcaptain has been very informative and motivating. Thanks to all!

Good on ya!