Jones Act MPSV Harvey Sub-Sea Delivered

“Today ends the debate as to whether the U.S. Jones Act fleet of MPSV’s is capable of doing work that foreign vessels have been doing illegally in the [Gulf of Mexico] for many years,” said Shane Guidry, CEO of Harvey Gulf.

http://gcaptain.com/new-harvey-sub-sea-provides-boost-for-jones-act-compliant-offshore-construction-fleet/

1 Like

“One swallow doesn’t make a summer”, or in this case; two MPSVs that CAN be equipped for a lot of tasks, but is presently only fitted with a AHC NOV Hydralift crane able to work in 4000 m. WD does not cover the requirements: http://www.professionalmariner.com/American-Ship-Review-2017/Harvey-Sub-Sea/
More such vessels need to be built to replace the foreign ones, which is presently in the GoM though, but it is a step in the right direction.

PS>I notice that this is a VARD design, with mostly foreign equipment and accommodations of European standard. (Good on y’ll)

DAMNED RIGHT it is in the right direction and these vessels are being built or have been already. I am heartened to see that the big OSV operators have awakened to the business they have been losing and stepping up to the plate by investing in the new high spec equipment. Everyone here knows that I don’t like the OMSA companies but I am thrilled to see the way the wind is blowing and know they will prevail in their fight. I’ll take ANY American company ANY day over a foreign one. The GoM is American economic territory and should be 100% reserved for American workers to do the work whether it be on US or foreign built vessels. It would be except for all the loopholes which have been exploited by foreign (Norwegian) companies for MUCH TOO LONG!

1 Like

[quote=“c.captain, post:4, topic:44836, full:true”]
It would be except for all the loopholes which have been exploited by foreign (Norwegian) companies for MUCH TOO LONG![/quote]

The Norwegians and others developed new and innovative vessels and equipment,able to perform tasks that was required by the Oil & Gas industry worldwide. In the GoM they just filled a void that was there because the local companies didn’t see the need to change anything. (“This is how we have always done it and NOBODY can come here and tell us it can be done differently”)

Now they are waking up to the fact that the world have passed them by and they have to learn from some “dumb foreigners” that don’t know nothing about the GoM and how things are done there.

At least they don’t try to “Americanize” the design and equipment on vessels this time.

You’re assuming things again. The foreign boats existed because they were needed overseas (but not here). When operations in the Gulf got to the point where those types of boats were necessary waivers for the foreign boats were issued to get them working ASAP. The American owners didn’t see any financial incentive to build capable vessels when the foreign boats were getting waivers.

1 Like

The development of “those type of boats” has been going on since mid-1970s and are still going on. You are right, American owners didn’t see the need to follow suite. American boats were working worldwide, so why change. American yards continued spitting out the same types of boats as they had done, because there were no incentive to do anything else. (Keep it simple and cheap)

When they finally woke up to the fact that they had lost the leadership in the world market they had also lose the ability to change. This applied not only to the OSVs but to rigs, construction barges and drilling equipment. At the same time American Owners and boats lost their dominant positions, even in shallow water, benign parts of the world.

Meanwhile the Oil Companies had figured out that something else were needed in the GoM. They were working worldwide and could see the development in the rest of the world, particularly in the North Sea. They demanded the same level of efficiency and ability to develop the vessels needed in the GoM.

When that didn’t happen they brought in foreign vessels to do the more difficult tasks, leaving American boats to carry cargo and perform the simpler tasks. That lead American mariners to complain about unfair competition from “low paid” 3rd world seafarers, not caring to find out who were actually manning those vessels, or whether they were actually charging lower charter rates, (Since there were no comparable US vessels it is hard to compare anyhow)

PS> Didn’t they get waivers because no US vessels of comparable capabilities existed???

1 Like

How many foreign vessels working in Gulf and how many in U.S. fleet capable of doing the work? Haven’t seen any numbers on that.

1 Like

I used to be up to date on this but having been away from the GoM for several years now my old lists are likely not accurate anymore plus many new US vessels have entered the market in that time. However, I can do come cursory research on this and put together a rough list of both within a few days

Nor on the day rates for the foreign vessels or even a hint as to if they are discounted just to keep them working. Wish an oil co guy hiring these things would chime in. With some asserting that foreign crews pay/benefits/compensation are the same as American I’d like to see the numbers to back that up before accepting the lack of US flagged vessels working in GOM is due only to lack of drive, inability to see the future, etc. and not costs. But we just get anecdotal, fact free polemics.

1 Like

But the bug says they are paid higher than Americans!

No, I say that the COST of hiring NORWEGIANS are higher then to hire the eqv. American crews.
No doubt that Pinoy or Indonesians are cheaper, but they only fill the lower ranks on the vessels in question. East Europeans come somewhere between, while North West Europeans are probably on par, if not above American costs, all factors taken into consideration.

Guidry is a shiester. Try putting a large reel drive system or lay tower and then reality will hit home.

It has a 250t crane. Great. When the majority of the work needs less than a 150t crane.

HOS builds a vessel with large sponsons and then burns 7k gallons of fuel during transit, just to have a 250t crane that won’t be used to capacity.

American boat owners (at least in the GoM) are so far behind their noggie counter parts it is sad.

2 Likes

Nice to see that we are now talking about get facts on the table, not just guesswork(mine incl.) and old beliefs.

I would believe that the Offshore Brokers operating in the US would know the answer to both the number, type, capabilities and dayrates for the foreign vessels working in the GoM. After all they probably brokered the deals that got them there in the first place. They would also know what the competition is like in terms of US vessels and their capabilities/limitations.

Apparently they don’t issue data for free, like for the European market though.
Anybody have the necessary contacts and “excuse” to get the info from them?
What about you Mikey? You could ask and probably get an answer, since that would be a bit of free publicity for the Broker, if named. (Just a suggestion)

If I recall correctly, a recent news article mentioned 18 foreign vessels working in the Gulf. I assume that includes the foreign flag vessels owned by ECO, HOS, (and other American companies) ?

http://www.osjonline.com/news/view,jones-act-notice-withdrawn-by-cbp_47644.htm