Italy recovers 217 bodies

[QUOTE=Steamer;187345]You keep splitting them anyway and keep getting it wrong anyway.

Chevron owned the “Gulf” oil we are talking about, it was not the Gulf Oil that most North Americans know about, it was Cabinda Gulf, a front for Chevron.

And Brazzaville is a long way from Pointe Noire. There is no “may” about it Pointe Noire was where Cuban supplies and personnel staged for fighting a few miles down the road. Have you ever heard of “Operation Carlotta”?

It doesn’t sound like you were ever anywhere near the place[/QUOTE]

Cabinda Gulf was a the local subsidiary of Gulf Oil Inc. which was purchased by Chevron in 1984.
Ok I put in the “may” as a joke, but I must apparently stop trying to be funny.

The People’s Republic of the Congo is popularly known simply as “Congo Brazzaville” after it’s capital across the Congo River from Kinshasa, the capital of DRC.,

Have I actually been in Point Noire?? Yes many times over many years and for different purposes, but all to do with the Offshore Industry.

These pictures doesn’t really show anything to identify the place, but it is taken at BOS Congo’s Construction Yard in Point Noire.
The story behind them is that we needed to send some long piles to the Crane Barge BOS 355 off Cabinda, but the barge we were going to use was found to have holes in the bow below deck line.
The solution? Charter a couple of idle Supply boats. The problem was that the piles were more than twice the length of the deck of the boats:

What you don’t see here is that we “robbed” some large Norwegian Buoys from an arrested Tuna Seiner sitting in the harbour. These were slightly de-flated and stuck into the outboard ends and reflated to avoid the piles being filled with water on the trip.

Here is the second boat:

The third had a Mono pod column on deck:

Viking Service leaving from Point Noire:

Sorry about the quality. Old pictures scanned.

I believe my English brother in law was master of one of the Zapata vessels.

[QUOTE=injunear;187353]I believe my English brother in law was master of one of the Zapata vessels.[/QUOTE]

In that case he may remember this trip. Later we loaded a Tri-pod standing upright on deck of one of these vessel. (Sorry, couldn’t find any pictures)
It was taller then the mast. The Master took some convincing that it was feasible.

Migrants Bite Each Other in Desperation

http://maritime-executive.com/article/migrants-bite-each-other-in-desperation