Ishihara color blindness test- anyone else have a problem?

Holy cow. I had trouble with the number 16 when I took my physical.

Anyone else have problems with this which seem more noticeable with age? Or not?

I used to breeze through these.

I wasn’t looking at the book. These plates were shown through that reader you look into to test your visual acuity. Not that I think that makes much of a difference.

Should I eat more carrots? Yikes.

My last physical the nurse had me attempt to read the color blind test through the viewer without my glasses… For a split second she almost noted on my form that I was colorblind. Luckily the corrected test cleared things up.

The 16 was the hardest. I took one today and second guessed myself. When they use the book its not bad but when you look through the machine its fucked.

[QUOTE=Goirish44;140026]The 16 was the hardest. I took one today and second guessed myself. When they use the book its not bad but when you look through the machine its fucked.[/QUOTE]

I thought it might just be me. Thanks for adding some clarity to this.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=wafinator;140022]My last physical the nurse had me attempt to read the color blind test through the viewer without my glasses… For a split second she almost noted on my form that I was colorblind. Luckily the corrected test cleared things up.[/QUOTE]

By corrected, do you mean read from the book or through the viewer with your glasses? This is interesting.

I wonder if there is a problem with the way this test is administered? I can’t imagine going colorblind after a lifetime of tests (from age 18) until the age of 53 without some real organic disease going on. And my eyes are ok in every other way.

Its not a great test of color blindness hence you have the choice of other tests if you fail it.
I have always had a problem to pass it since I was a kid.
Saying that last test I did, new book, bright lights was a breeze and I’m over 50 and reading glasses now, wtf?

How many color plates do you have to get correct in order to pass?

Take the farnsworth lantern test. No problem for me and I’m color blind since 1st grade. Can’t see any of the numbers on the plate test.

1 Like

Yeah, I bomb the Ishihara everytime. Last time I upped my FAA first class medical they gave me an Optec test (one approved by the USCG as well as the FAA) and I passed… barely.

Still makes me scared that one day when I go in for my medical they won’t have a backup for the Ishihara and I’ll get color deficient put on my form… not looking forward to that one. I have no problem seeing buoys, nav lights, or identifying colors in any way but I just can’t seem to pass those tests without taking my time.

I can second dacook’s recommendation for the Farnsworth.

[QUOTE=powerabout;140065]Its not a great test of color blindness hence you have the choice of other tests if you fail it.
I have always had a problem to pass it since I was a kid.
Saying that last test I did, new book, bright lights was a breeze and I’m over 50 and reading glasses now, wtf?[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are several other tests listed on the exam form but it just irked me to have to sit there and try and figure out that damned 16. I hesitated on one other also, but I can’t remember which one…maybe 43? Dunno.

If I do have a real issue on the next exam I’ll ask for an alternate.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=JamesJim;140162]Yeah, I bomb the Ishihara everytime. Last time I upped my FAA first class medical they gave me an Optec test (one approved by the USCG as well as the FAA) and I passed… barely.

Still makes me scared that one day when I go in for my medical they won’t have a backup for the Ishihara and I’ll get color deficient put on my form… not looking forward to that one. I have no problem seeing buoys, nav lights, or identifying colors in any way but I just can’t seem to pass those tests without taking my time.

I can second dacook’s recommendation for the Farnsworth.[/QUOTE]

Aren’t they supposed to offer an alternative to Ishihara? What do you do if you flunk and they don’t have Farnsworth or (reading off my exam form) Richmond or AOC or AOC-HRR? Hell the form even offers some anon “alternative” test approved by the CG. Whatever that is.

FWIW, NOAA uses Ishihara too, but they show you the book, so that’s a bit better than the viewer.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;140080]How many color plates do you have to get correct in order to pass?[/QUOTE]

5 or less errors in 14 plates. But my point really was that I never had an issue before in years of military testing, and my last CG exam and my employment exam- and so is age a factor in this regard? I’ll bet it is, at least in my case.

I better start eating more carrots, even if I turn orange. Or next time, ask for an alternate test.

Sure wish I knew of a place to get the Farnsworth Lantern B test done. Without fail every sine place I go to has nothing but the Ishihara test. Even optometrists. I have even looked into buying the equipment to donate. No luck.

[QUOTE=CaptKrunch;140200]Sure wish I knew of a place to get the Farnsworth Lantern B test done. Without fail every sine place I go to has nothing but the Ishihara test. Even optometrists. I have even looked into buying the equipment to donate. No luck.[/QUOTE]

http://www.leftseat.com/falant.htm

1 Like

This is the phone number for the optometrist in Houma that did mine. Don’t remember the name though. (985) 851-2211

Well, I went to my ophthalmologist yesterday and brought up the color issue. He administered the Ishihara Test and I did not do very well, meaning that I do have some level of red-green deficit. The good news? The doctor said that it is a condition that afflicts 30% of the male population. When I mentioned I was working on becoming a merchant mariner, he stated that he was familiar with their standards and that as long as the deficit was not significantly bad, I should be okay. What that means about my ability to pass either the medical test, I have no clue. :confused:

Fortunately, it looks like I have a choice of tests to take. I am hoping that at least one demonstrates that my deficit is not bad enough to warrant denial.

Would any of you agree that it would be best for me to have my doctor provide some documentation on his findings as a preemptive move in case my red-green deficit becomes an issue at a possible future medical evaluation?

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;140988Would any of you agree that it would be best for me to have my doctor provide some documentation on his findings as a preemptive move in case my red-green deficit becomes an issue at a possible future medical evaluation?[/QUOTE]

If I were in your shoes, I would go and have the test or tests required by the CG administered to see just what the outcome would be. This way you would know for sure.

For what it’s worth, back around 15 years ago, I was sitting up on the bow having some coffee with the AB while it was still very dark out. I said man, look at all of those running likes up there it looks like Christmas. He looked at me and said sorry Chief they all look the same to me. He went on to say that his wife dressed him on clothes that were the colors that he needed to pick out for is physical so he could look down and match the shades of Gray. Needless to say, I was not impressed as he was the LOOKOUT! I told him either he manned up or I would be taking it to the Captain. He quit a day or so later so I never did find out what happened to him.

All that I meant by my last statement is, [please make sure that you can do the job safely as it is not just your job or lively hood but the entire crew that is with you if you make a mistake. Now this is meant for those on Deck for the most part.

[QUOTE=Tugs;141006]If I were in your shoes, I would go and have the test or tests required by the CG administered to see just what the outcome would be. This way you would know for sure.

For what it’s worth, back around 15 years ago, I was sitting up on the bow having some coffee with the AB while it was still very dark out. I said man, look at all of those running likes up there it looks like Christmas. He looked at me and said sorry Chief they all look the same to me. He went on to say that his wife dressed him on clothes that were the colors that he needed to pick out for is physical so he could look down and match the shades of Gray. Needless to say, I was not impressed as he was the LOOKOUT! I told him either he manned up or I would be taking it to the Captain. He quit a day or so later so I never did find out what happened to him.

All that I meant by my last statement is, [please make sure that you can do the job safely as it is not just your job or lively hood but the entire crew that is with you if you make a mistake. Now this is meant for those on Deck for the most part.[/QUOTE]

Should I go down to my local NMC office and have them administer a test there?

It sounds like your lookout was legitimately colorblind. I am not colorblind; I just have somewhat of a deficiency in distinguishing reds and greens. But I cannot recall a single instance where I thought red was green and vice versa. In fact, I never recall an incident where I misidentified a color, unless it was something like seeing black on a suit when it was actually navy.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;141012]Should I go down to my local NMC office and have them administer a test there?

It sounds like your lookout was legitimately colorblind. I am not colorblind; I just have somewhat of a deficiency in distinguishing reds and greens. But I cannot recall a single instance where I thought red was green and vice versa. In fact, I never recall an incident where I misidentified a color, unless it was something like seeing black on a suit when it was actually navy.[/QUOTE]

The REC’s are not going to administer color blindness tests.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;141012]Should I go down to my local NMC office and have them administer a test there?[/QUOTE]
No.

So I guess just find some place that offers the Farnsworth Lantern Test and go from there?

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;141023]So I guess just find some place that offers the Farnsworth Lantern Test and go from there?[/QUOTE]

That was what I meant. Get the test done to make sure that there is not going to be a problem later.