Farnsworth Lantern B and color vision testing

Does anyone know where I can find a doctor that can administer the Farnsworth Lantern B test. I have never been able to pass the Ishihara test (one with the dots) but can see colors just fine…ok small problems with shades of green. I have been in this industry for 20 years now and have no problem whatsoever making out lights, etc. I always managed to find a Dr. who, after pointing out all the colors around us in the office, signed me off. This renewal I have been to my third one and now it’s time for me to go legit. Problem is, I can’t find a Dr. that has this equipment. Was thinking aviation but where are they. I’m in South MS but will travel a decent distance just to get this taken care of. Thanks.

Have you tried a normal eye doctor? A full time optometrist should have several ways to test for color vision besides the colored dots. There is more then the dots or lanterns that is approved.

No, haven’t tried an Optometrist and am not sure they could do the whole physical. I would then have to wonder how the Coast Guard would consider a physical with two different Dr’s signing off on it. I guess it would be worth a shot but I may go the direction of looking for a place that does aviation physicals…or just keep Dr. shopping every five years!!

A couple of years ago my primary doctor had me get a hearing test…What a joke. Anyway, went to a separate doctor’s office, had the test, got them to sign off with no issues. Just be sure whoever you go to signs off with their physician’s number, doctors office, address, etc.

Have you tried the [FONT=Times][SIZE=3]Hardy, Rand and Rittler (HRR) Pseudoisochromatic Plate (PIP) 4[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times][SIZE=1]th [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times][SIZE=3]Edition? It was recently added to the list of approved tests.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times][SIZE=3]http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/hrr_pip_color_vision_test.pdf
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=CaptKrunch;48902]No, haven’t tried an Optometrist and am not sure they could do the whole physical. I would then have to wonder how the Coast Guard would consider a physical with two different Dr’s signing off on it. I guess it would be worth a shot but I may go the direction of looking for a place that does aviation physicals…or just keep Dr. shopping every five years!![/QUOTE]

My most recent renewal physical (4 months ago) had two doctors, one for the vision stuff and another for the rest. My HMO has the vision stuff seen by one of their eye doctors and the rest was done by the general practice doctor. This is probably a common occurrence and they had no problem with this on my physical.

[B]Occupational medical services (OMS) in Houma louisiana gives the Farnsworth lantern test. I am sure that you can find one closer to you though.[/B]

[B] If you have never taken it , It is no big deal, it is a small assortment of colored discs that you arrange in order.[/B]
[B]Ishahara plates are hard for many people, so don’t sweat it.[/B]

[B]Good Luck…:cool:[/B]

Thanks for all the info guys. Capt Leigh thanks for the tip on Ocupational Health in Houma. When I get off the boat this hitch I will be right up the road so I will definitely check them out. Mr. Cavo and the rest, thanks for letting me know it’s common practice to have multiple Dr’s on one physical form. I have more options now.

CaptKrunch,

Even though the Farnsworth Lantern test is listed on the 719K, it was not being accepted by the NMC medical department as recently as January of this year. ( The Air Force stopped using it in the '90s because on occasion pilots with serious color vision problems would pass it) I would give them a call ( the NMC, that is) and find out what the status of this test is before spending a lot of time and effort trying to track down someone who can administer it. The original test equipment is no longer being made, BTW.

I just got back from Houma to take the Farnsworth Lantern test. Although they claimed that they administered this test it was in fact a different one. When I questioned them about it the Dr. continued to claim that it was Farnsworth Lantern until I proved to him on the internet it was the D-15 Farnsworth test. He said it didn’t matter since it was a CG approved test. My position was this is the test the that i came into to take. Btw…it is listed on the CG physical form as an approved test. I was lucky enough to have the priveledge of paying for this. They gave me the option of going to an optometrist to complete the vision testing and return to complete the rest of the physical. That is what I did. Got the color vision testing done so now its time to apply for the 2nd Mate upgrade and set my sites on Ch. Mate/Master. I will have to go through this ordeal again then I’m sure.

CaptKrunch,

Even though the Farnsworth Lantern test is listed on the 719K, it was not being accepted by the NMC medical department as recently as January of this year. ( The Air Force stopped using it in the '90s because on occasion pilots with serious color vision problems would pass it) I would give them a call ( the NMC, that is) and find out what the status of this test is before spending a lot of time and effort trying to track down someone who can administer it. The original test equipment is no longer being made, BTW.

[QUOTE=sailaway;50099]CaptKrunch,

Even though the Farnsworth Lantern test is listed on the 719K, it was not being accepted by the NMC medical department as recently as January of this year. ( The Air Force stopped using it in the '90s because on occasion pilots with serious color vision problems would pass it) I would give them a call ( the NMC, that is) and find out what the status of this test is before spending a lot of time and effort trying to track down someone who can administer it. The original test equipment is no longer being made, BTW.[/QUOTE]

The test is acceptable per 46 CFR 10.215(b)(1)(iii).