Is my VSO traning any good?

When I was with Seacor they ran everybody through the Security course and no I’m hearing that some of the training that the companies gave out are good and some is not.

The certificate was issued July 8, 2004

The fine print says that I have successfully compleated the Seagull Security Training Program according to Det Norske Veritas (DNV) Sea Skill, Standard for cerification for learning programs, International Ship and Port Facility (ISPS) Code (part A 12.2 and part B 13.2) and competence requirements for the IMO model corse 3.19 - Ship Security Officer.

Looking at the USCG apporved list the course coverd IMO model corse 3.19 - Ship Security Officer just like all the ones on the list. So am I covered?

[quote=Jemplayer;14638]When I was with Seacor they ran everybody through the Security course and no I’m hearing that some of the training that the companies gave out are good and some is not.

The certificate was issued July 8, 2004

The fine print says that I have successfully compleated the Seagull Security Training Program according to Det Norske Veritas (DNV) Sea Skill, Standard for cerification for learning programs, International Ship and Port Facility (ISPS) Code (part A 12.2 and part B 13.2) and competence requirements for the IMO model corse 3.19 - Ship Security Officer.

Looking at the USCG apporved list the course coverd IMO model corse 3.19 - Ship Security Officer just like all the ones on the list. So am I covered?[/quote]

Quickest way to an answer is to call Jenny Pitzen at PMI in Seattle. 206.441.2880. Or, PM me for her email address. She’ll be able to answer your question. I think you’re going to have to take the new one-day refresher course somewhere though.

If it’s not on the list on the NMC web page, it’s not acceptable. It isn’t just what’s covered in the course, it’s how it’s presented, and whether by having approval they were in a program of auditing and oversight of the course.

Bummer, well I guess I’ll start looking for the one day refresher courses that accept any previous course right?

Appreciate the answers. :slight_smile: