Iran takes ship

Does anyone know if indeed there are no American officers on that container ship the Iranians just took. (Horizon or Maersk or equiv) ? Not that it makes much diff because they’ll get one of us eventually and we’ll likely see the same procedures for our release… whatever that’ll be. I’d bet they would refrain from taking a Russian ship huh?

Its not a Horizon ship, not a Maersk Line Limited ship, or anything equivalent. Its a Marshall Islands flagged, Rickmers managed, Maersk container ship in foreign trade. No reason at all to think there would be any U.S. crew aboard…

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;161007] Its a Marshall Islands flagged … container ship in foreign trade.[/QUOTE]

So much for the old belief that Marshall Islands was a good flag because its ships had the protection of American naval assets.

Remember that old saying that a ship flying a nation’s flag is part of the nation’s sovereign territory? The backpedaling on this incident should be interesting. Tell me again why we are draining the American treasury to keep our Navy in the Gulf?

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=jimrr;161002]D I’d bet they would refrain from taking a Russian ship huh?[/QUOTE]

That would certainly be the case if the Russian Navy was watching. So far the only thing our Navy has done in the Strait of Hormuz is collide with merchant ships and each other.

[QUOTE=Steamer;161023]So much for the old belief that Marshall Islands was a good flag because its ships had the protection of American naval assets.

Remember that old saying that a ship flying a nation’s flag is part of the nation’s sovereign territory? The backpedaling on this incident should be interesting. Tell me again why we are draining the American treasury to keep our Navy in the Gulf?[/QUOTE]

If I am not mistaken, the Marshall Islands are an “independent” nation and not a US Territory. . . . although in close association with the US. . . stay tuned, though. . . seems that the Navy is weighing their options. . .

[QUOTE=Steamer;161023]Remember that old saying that a ship flying a nation’s flag is part of the nation’s sovereign territory?[/QUOTE]

Who says that? Sounds a lot like the myth about embassies.

I read that the US navy was sending a destroyer in route to the ship and the crew was Eastern European and Asian so no Americans are believed to be on board

[QUOTE=Steamer;161023]

Remember that old saying that a ship flying a nation’s flag is part of the nation’s sovereign territory? The backpedaling on this incident should be interesting. .[/QUOTE]

That’s true of naval and other goverment owned vessels. A commercial vessel in port however is subject to all the laws and regulation of the country who’s waters you’e in. In this case the ship was not in port so the right of innocent passage should apply.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;161036] In this case the ship was not in port so the right of innocent passage should apply.[/QUOTE]

That is the entire point of my post … it is a ship flagged in what amounts to an American colony that has always implied US protection of ships flying its flag. That ship was conduction an innocent passage under the bows of the US Navy and we didn’t do anything other than watch … so that begs the question, why are we squandering our treasury in a useless exercise of impotent flag waving?

[QUOTE=Steamer;161037]That is the entire point of my post … it is a ship flagged in what amounts to an American colony that has always implied US protection of ships flying its flag. That ship was conduction an innocent passage under the bows of the US Navy and we didn’t do anything other than watch … so that begs the question, why are we squandering our treasury in a useless exercise of impotent flag waving?[/QUOTE]

Because cut-rate flags don’t come with premium service.

Old Salt Blog has some interesting details.

[QUOTE=lm1883;161043]I’m sure that this is a response to the USN blocking Iran’s ships from supporting the houthis in Yemen or the Saudi campaign there, as Maersk vessels supply that effort. They will release it once they confiscate any “military cargo”. It’s just a broad geopolitical statement that is meant for negotiators in Switzerland.[/QUOTE]

This.

Didn’t they also harass the Maersk Kensington (US) the other day?

Let’s be honest, they won’t be very busy