Interested in Alaska Marine Higway

Has anyone worked with them? I understand you need to live in AK. Is it a beneficial job to have for a new graduate from Maritime Academy? For example, how is their training programs for obtaining pilotage and permanent positions as deck officers? Thanks.

I did some work for them. You dont have to live in AK, but they dont pay transportation unless you are a relief out of the hall. Also you get the COLA for living up there. I know most of the mates get their pilotage. I am an engineer. I liked working for them, but I have no plans living in Alaska and there is more money in deep sea.

Did you come across any difficulties with keeping a job in the “slow” months during the winter? Thanks

You start out as a security officer in order to get your pilotage. You get paid the same as a 3rd mate but you are up for every port screening vehicles etc. And getting trips for pilotage while underway. Helps to go out as a cadet, you can log trips like that

[QUOTE=brjones;81209]I did some work for them. You dont have to live in AK, but they dont pay transportation unless you are a relief out of the hall. Also you get the COLA for living up there. I know most of the mates get their pilotage. I am an engineer. I liked working for them, but I have no plans living in Alaska and there is more money in deep sea.[/QUOTE]

If you dont mind me asking, What is your rotation and salary? I am wondering if the website info is current. Been thinking hard about getting back up to AK on the ferry system.

When I was there the engineers were doing 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. I believe the mates are the same. The unlicensed do 1 week on and off. I believe some of the ships further north do 4 weeks

[QUOTE=Axelrod;81427]You start out as a security officer in order to get your pilotage. You get paid the same as a 3rd mate but you are up for every port screening vehicles etc. And getting trips for pilotage while underway. Helps to go out as a cadet, you can log trips like that[/QUOTE]

So are you not “technically” signed on with the company until you complete the pilotage trips and exams? While being a Security Officer, are you permanent on that certain vessel or a kind of “on call” type for the whole fleet?

So are you not technically signed on with the company whil being a security officer obtaining pilotage trips and taking exams? Are you a permanent on a certain ferry when working as security officer or an “on call” type of job description? Thanks