Intense storm nearing Cape Horn

An intense SouthPacific storm low is closing in on the south coast of South America and theCape Horn area.

http://oceanweatherservices.com/blog1/about/author/ocean-weather-updates/

Holy SHIT Batman! Look at that pressure gradient between the 955mb Low and 1036mb High! What are the forecast winds in advance of that monster hole in the atmosphere? 100-120kts! Yeeacchhh!

DAMNED GLAD NOT TO BE THERE!

Btw Fred, what’s the lowest barometric pressure you’ve ever seen in a non tropical cyclone? I saw 948mb in one January storm that swept over the Aleutians in 1990. Luckily I was not near the center of it, but at 260mi away we still had 90kts sustained! Just your average little winter blow for the Bering Sea!

Dutch harbor oct 1977 worst maritime us extratropical according to us records.

I saw 928mb in hurricane Hugo. Took our huge hf antennae clean off never heard or saw them go… That was a blow…

[QUOTE=c.captain;78010]Holy SHIT Batman! Look at that pressure gradient between the 955mb Low and 1036mb High! What are the forecast winds in advance of that monster hole in the atmosphere? 100-120kts! Yeeacchhh!

DAMNED GLAD NOT TO BE THERE![/QUOTE]

Anybody who is in awe over the endurance of the men who sailed the big windjammers round the Horn needs to read the story of the barque BRITISH ISLES who encountered what has to be the most horrific weather imaginable in a 70 day battle to beat her way against incessant storms, ice and almost unbelievable seas! Looking at this map shows what is must have been like when you read about the ship sailing into an abyss!