IMO regulations

No IBU employee has to take bridge resource management. That would be a start for members of the bridge team and that would be something that I would like to add. Some employees have been on the car deck for years and don’t have an idea on how to call VTS or even take the radar out of standby. It takes the Captains discretion on who his bridge team member(s) out of it. Mates have to be on the car deck during loading, so we only have a few minutes to get to the bridge and access what’s happening with our surroundings. The quartermaster is the most important non licensed position on the vessel. ( In my opinion )

There must be a lot about the ferries I don’t understand. An unlicensed guy calling VTS and adjusting radars? Indeed, I have no idea what world that is. Unlicensed crew are not required to take bridge resource management in any capacity that I have ever encountered or heard of.

Many of the WSF ABs are licensed, having joined the ferries after working outside for many years. That was my situation when I worked there. In the past, sometimes the quartermasters would get the boat underway without the officer even being in the pilothouse. I don’t think they allow that anymore. But they do still call VTS, bring the radars out of standby, take control from the opposite end, etc. It is a job that requires a great amount of trust from the master and mate, due to the nature of the operation. When the vessel is in the slip, the master is in the inshore pilothouse while the mate is on the car deck. Once the gate goes down the mate hauls ass for the offshore pilothouse, to take the conn, while the master transfers control to the offshore end. Durning the loading process the offshore end is manned by the AB Quartermaster, who is calling VTS and getting that end ready to take control. That is one reason why the officers like to be able to choose who their quartermasters are. Many of the quartermasters hold the license and federal pilotage but because of seniority issues are not working as deck officers. But now, they will possibly be bumped to the car deck in favor of a more senior AB who might not be able to do any of that stuff, but wants the extra $1.00 per hour.

It pretty much sucks, and it is one more decision the office has taken away from the masters out there.

Thanks for filling that in. Indeed, it is a different operation. All the more reason to start a paper trail on the guys who can’t hack it.

Does anyone know if there is a regulation that regulates the amount of time in hrs in a row a captain can captain or operate a tug-- just like a tanker driver can only drive for so many hrs before resting?:confused:

46 USC 8104. Watches

Full text here

(h) On a vessel to which [section 8904](http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/46C89.txt) of this title applies, an
individual licensed to operate a towing vessel may not work for
more than 12 hours in a consecutive 24-hour period except in an
emergency.<misc1>      

Subsection (h) provides that the licensed operator for a towing
vessel at least 26 feet long may not be required to work more than
12 of 24 hours, except in an emergency.
</misc1></pre>

[quote=Capt_Anonymous;14449][B]46 USC 8104. Watches[/B]

[B]Full text here[/B]

(h) On a vessel to which section 8904 of this title applies, an
individual licensed to operate a towing vessel may not work for
more than 12 hours in a consecutive 24-hour period except in an
emergency.<MISC1>

Subsection (h) provides that the licensed operator for a towing
vessel at least 26 feet long may not be required to work more than
12 of 24 hours, except in an emergency.

</MISC1>
</PRE>[/quote]

Just a comparrison…

Tanker drivers can have up to 14 hours on duty, of those, only 11 can be behind the wheel and only after a 10 hour consecutive break…

only 70 total hours in an 8 day work week…34 consecutive off duty hours restarts, the 70 hour rule…

And you guys thought you had all the fun, with the CFR’s…:smiley:

[quote=Shellback;14451]Just a comparrison…

Tanker drivers can have up to 14 hours on duty, of those, only 11 can be behind the wheel and only after a 10 hour consecutive break…

only 70 total hours in an 8 day work week…34 consecutive off duty hours restarts, the 70 hour rule…

And you guys thought you had all the fun, with the CFR’s…:D[/quote]

10 hours consecutive. What a luxury that would be on a tug!

That may be true but I bet you wouldn’t want to trade paychecks…:cool:

I think the best way to get the coast guard involved is to dem your vessel unseaworthy.
UNSEAWORTHY - If the vessel, or any of its parts or equipment, is not reasonably fit for its intended purpose or if its crew is not reasonably adequate or competent to perform the work assigned.
We know that there are a few that are on the borderline of being adequate. Its not like we go out to sea on the open waters.

I think the best way to get the coast guard involved is to dem your vessel unseaworthy.
UNSEAWORTHY - If the vessel, or any of its parts or equipment, is not reasonably fit for its intended purpose or if its crew is not reasonably adequate or competent to perform the work assigned.
We know that there are a few that are on the borderline of being adequate. Its not like we go out to sea on the open waters.

[quote=mwillmes;14349]I am a deck officer aboard the Washington State ferries. Recently another union negotiated with WSF management to have our Quartermaster and Bos’n positions assigned by seniority. Is anyone familiar with an IMO or CFR that would ( Could ) negate the agreement that office management agreed to. As Deck officers we feel that we no longer have any choice even if the most senior person is incompetent. ( This ruling pertains to the AB position only.)
Our hands are tied.

Thanks in advance

Mark[/quote]