IMCA CMID inspections

I am getting ready for an IMCA CMID inspection that our client has set up for next week. The client will be sending in a 3rd party to conduct the inspection.

I have gone through an “in house” inspection last year, conducted by one of our operations managers…it was an informal inspection, but we noted some items that should be addressed at the time.

I was looking for any insight about the use of 3rd parties for this inspection…anyone have experiences to share such as pet peeves of their inspectors, or things I should pay particular attention to?

Experiences of anyone in the Fourchon area may prove especially helpful, since we will be conducting the inspection down here.

I’ve been through the 47 page document several times, and feel we look pretty good and a lot of the items don’t pertain to us. I was hoping to gain some insight from some of your experiences.

Thanks in advance,

[QUOTE=Conspearasea;25919]I am getting ready for an IMCA CMID inspection that our client has set up for next week. The client will be sending in a 3rd party to conduct the inspection.

I have gone through an “in house” inspection last year, conducted by one of our operations managers…it was an informal inspection, but we noted some items that should be addressed at the time.

I was looking for any insight about the use of 3rd parties for this inspection…anyone have experiences to share such as pet peeves of their inspectors, or things I should pay particular attention to?

Experiences of anyone in the Fourchon area may prove especially helpful, since we will be conducting the inspection down here.

I’ve been through the 47 page document several times, and feel we look pretty good and a lot of the items don’t pertain to us. I was hoping to gain some insight from some of your experiences.

Thanks in advance,[/QUOTE]

Most likely it will be Noble Denton. It will start with a review of all documents and how the vessel is complying to regulatory and industry requirements. It is a broad inspection regime and covers most everything. Something that will come up, is a “lifting appliance register”. Most OSV do not have this, but the CMID requires documentation of slings and straps that may be only used for ship’s business outside of the relationship with the client, but is required none the less.
Make sure that you know it’s not required before assuming. If you have never done a CMID, you will learn that most everything applies, but has never been done…and it does apply.
There are no regulatory requirements to be a DP operator on a DP vessel in the GOM, but you may be scrutinized during a CMID.

Good Luck

I see the chain register/lifting appliance register up to date question (3.5 on pg 10), and when we did the in house prior, our notes reflect that we do monthly sling and rigging inspection that we maintain digitally…In fact quite a bit of our checks are maintained in NS5 programs.

Thanks for some insight on this, so far a few things are N/A like the DP, Helideck and some international voyage items. We are a T-Boat, DSV and there are a few things in here I have not heard of before.

Thanks again, anyone else out there familiar w/ International Marine Contractors Associations’ - Common Marine Inspection Documents?

Quite a few views, but only Anchormans reply…I guess the O&G industry is the main industry following IMCA (at least here in the US) ?

Just a followup here on the inspection, It was conducted by a third party on behalf of the Client (Oil Co.), and went very well. I was sure to go through the IMCA inspection checklists ahead of time to be prepared for this and it helped.

The process was a little like going through a CG inspection, w/o the drills involved. My crew always keeps things “shipshape”, so we looked good even before going through the lists.

For anyone interested, I have both the IMCA common marine inspection documents and the marine inspection checklist for small workboats (under 500grt) in digital format.

I know that my part of the industry (Diving) is incorporating IMCA standards into their SMS and other procedures, so if anyone want to be a step ahead it might not hurt to get a look at the IMCA vessel standards.

Maybe my post can help someone here at some point, I know IMCA is becoming more prevalent in the Diving world.