Ideas to stop the flow of oil in the gulf

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;33534]the russians are crazy, but not so very off the mark. a large enough subterranean explosion would indeed collapse the hole and likely plug the leak. should we consider it a last ditch effort if nothing else works???[/QUOTE]

I was wondering what other equipment is in the area which might be damaged if this was attempted . .

They should be able to quickly drill down 1000’ alongside this well and plant a shaped chargearound the casing to collapse the pipe like a pinched drinking straw

Think Fire Triangle :wink:

I always go back to square one, why Transoceans people did not do routine

equipment maintenace by replacing the dead battery and repairing the hydraulic leak on

the blowout preventer. Your only as good as the equipment you work with!

[QUOTE=rmcnichol;35213]I always go back to square one, why Transoceans people did not do routine

equipment maintenace by replacing the dead battery and repairing the hydraulic leak on

the blowout preventer. Your only as good as the equipment you work with![/QUOTE]

As seasoned foreign captain who’s gone back down to OS, AB again in the U.S.
and finally reached the U.S. Unlimited Master learned a lot about human behavior in the course.

Nobody likes hard work, we would always pursue easier way of doing things.
Without proper supervision, Our pursuit can cross the line often without our recognition.

So, now I am an independent marine consultant, my jos is to interrupt the chain of error before
something really bad happens.

They should have hired the third party inspector on the rig, all the time.
The chain of error should be interrupted systemically, if not, people makes the same mistakes over and over.

The officers and the head of the rig have too many other things to worry about. They would appreciate that help.

why not just remove the top flange, just below the new cut and bolt a valve to the bottom flange???

[QUOTE=jimbo1257;33532]instead of trying to plug the pipe, could you not insert a catheter into the pipe as they do in surgery. i had a hip replacement several years ago and had one. considering the depth of the water and the pressures of the deep consider it like this. a pipe with a rubber bladder around the outside of the pipe, in which it is inserted into the broken pipe so that the rubber bladder is inside like a seal, complete the seal by filling the bladder with water thus eliminating the use of air, the pipe is then connected to a hose that can control the flow, allowing it to be turned off.[/QUOTE]

just remove the bolts in the flange just below the new cut and bolt a valve to the lower flange…

i just posted an idea…

[QUOTE=cmjeff;32970]This forum has, by far, the most intellegent analysis of any site I’ve seen including the most respected names in news… And not one idea posted to this thread?? We are in trouble.[/QUOTE]

26 is an idea…a good one i think.

[QUOTE=Bob3231;34830]Does anybody know for sure whether or not a mixture of natural gas and oil would burn underwater?

With a sufficient ignition source , is an underwater blowtorch feaseable?[/QUOTE]

i think it would need air to burn