I need a bit of advice

there seems to be a strong possibility i may be employed as a deckhand for Kirby but i am going to have to pass all the entry training to gain full employment the thing is i have never worked on a boat and or barge before is there anything anyone could recommend me to study before hand, so that i maybe able to keep the job ?

just need some common sense , know how to clean and clean and clean and cook.

Yeah. Learn to cook some basic meals if you dont already know how. Need to know the basics of cleaning and maintaining what amounts to a small home at sea. (Sounds crazy but many people dont know how to say, clean a toilet, a stove, floors, etc.) Line-handling will be taught to you the way the Captain wants it done. Wouldn’t hurt to teach yourself a square knot, clove hitch, and boland knot in the interim. My pet peeve is safety gear. Wear your PPE and mind yourself at all times. Deckhands are killed in the line of work every year. Listen to the Captain, Mate, and old hands at all times and do your best and you will make out well. A good deckhand is a blessing.

Purchase and read the newest version of the American Merchant Seaman’s Manual if you want to read something. That will cover all the basics.

boland knot…

When you are being instructed about something don’t say “I know, I know” because no, you do not know, that’s why you at being instructed about it. Pay attention, nod your head, and ask questions if you don’t understand.

Don’t argue with the captain or mate.
Stay the fuck off of your fucking phone.
Don’t sleep on watch.
Don’t watch tv unless absolutely nothing is going on.
Stay busy even if it’s just busy work.
Stay the fuck off your fucking phone.
Practice throwing lines if possible, the mate or other deckhand will show you how.
Practice splicing lines and knots, again someone will teach you as long as you are willing to learn.
Stay off of your fucking phone.

When you are off watch disappear to your room, and get your sleep no one is going to show you any pity if you stay up all day and get tired when you are supposed to be on watch if you were in the galley your entire off watch playing with your phone and watching tv. Staying up to learn something is ok, but you’ll still be expected to stand your watch.

Eventually, as you get some experience, you’ll be able to ease off a little but while you are still a green brand new deckhand your best bet is to stay busy and learn. Showing some aptitude and initiative will go a very long way with your crew mates. Most experienced guys will be more than willing to show you the ways and patiently teach you if you put the effort in to learn.

2 Likes

Shit everyone stays on the phone

Fuck yeah! That about sums it up!

1 Like

Bowline maybe? Never heard of a boland either.

Yall are correct of course. However my grandfather's accent always made it sound like boland knot so that's how its spelled in my mind.  "Bowline" looks weird to me.

A big company like Kirby will have a lot of formal procedures and will provide a lot of good training. A lot of it will be generic OSHA type safety training, but some of it will be specific to the type of tug and barge work you will be doing. For example, there is a world of difference between inland towing work and ocean towing work.

You can find free YouTube videos about tying basic knots and how to splice braided line. There are probably also relevant YouTube videos of the right type of tugs and barges working.

Kirby has a pre-hire screening process. So they have already determined that you are capable of successfully completing their deckhand training program.

A lot of your work will be cooking, cleaning, painting, and assisting the tankermen to pump the barge. You won’t actually spend very much of your time handling lines, but it is an essential skill that you will be taught.

Be a go-getter. Show an interest in learning how to be a tankerman. You’ll do fine.

1 Like

Pronounced “bo-lynn”