I love it...even a serving admiral says the LCS's are stoopid warships!

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);104212]I would very much like a day at the range together, [/QUOTE]

Should you ever find yourself in Montana give me a shout, best not on a full moon, however.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);104212] btw, you know nothing of my military service before shipping :slight_smile: [/QUOTE]

No I don’t and you know next to nothing about mine. Not a subject for the forum, would you agree?

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);104212] Happy Easter. Enjoy your day up in the wilds from a southern boy.[/QUOTE]

Well now, that’s better, see folks a Montana Mountain Man and a Southern Boy can get along ~~~~~ at a distance.

Yes, I agree military service is not a topic here. Yes, we can get along with common interest… The distance shall be outside 1800 yards until it is agreed my mutual consent indicated by white flags from both parties to move in closer. And yes best that my visit be held during a new moon and before happy hour it would seem. :slight_smile:

Ps, please leave my dad’s career out of further discussions. He has passed away and we remain very proud of his service.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);104215]Yes, I agree military service is not a topic here. Yes, we can get along with common interest… The distance shall be outside 1800 yards until it is agreed my mutual consent indicated by white flags from both parties to move in closer. And yes best that my visit be held during a new moon and before happy hour it would seem. :)[/QUOTE]

My Gawd, shall I bring dueling pistols?

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);104218]Ps, please leave my dad’s career out of further discussions. He has passed away and we remain very proud of his service.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, my mistake and I apologize.

[QUOTE=“Sweat-n-Grease;104220”]

My Gawd, shall I bring dueling pistols?[/QUOTE]

Ha, reminds me of "Quigley down under "

" said I didnt see a need for one, I never said I didnt know how to use one". ( when speaking about a colt revolver).

Here, something I think you would appreciate:

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);104232]Here, something I think you would appreciate:[/QUOTE]

You bet I liked it.
Mister Gundy is man of great honor, respect, and has an unbelievable skill.
“Sir, you got the gong”
“Now let’s go 1000 yards” - [I]I don’t believe I can do that[/I], “Yes Sir, you can” [I]Ok, I’ll give it a try[/I].
[I]That’s a long long way, almost unbelievable for me.[/I]
“Sir, you got a five inch group at 1000 yards.”

Thank you for sharing this with me. I will pass it on.
If you can shoot like that, Captain, I’m not even close to being in your league but it would be fun trying.
Shoot, my range is only 100 yards, but no scope, with a 110 year old, lever action rifle, Winchester 32 Special. Sometime I feel like Gus when he took down that fool who thought he was way out of range. Gus nailed him. I’m talking “Lonesome Dove.” “I’m shot, he killed me,” last words from the fool who thought he could taunt an old former Texas Ranger. Yea, the story is fiction but very true to reality.

Lonesome Dove is a true classic. I’ve got it all on DVD. I think you are talking about the scene where Gus is being chased by Indians. He downs his horse and then proceeds to land rounds short from his lever gun. When the Indian jumps up and dances, Gus flips up his sight and nails him… Then settles in for the night with a smile on his face… Yea, good stuff!

Grundy is a true national treasure… Five inches at 1000 is good for anyone, much less an older man like him. Nope, I’m not in his league. I did shoot a 308 with a 2" group in six shots at 600, Got 45/110 sharps grouped at 18" at 1000 with black powder cartridges. Won’t tell you what the .338 does at 1200… It may ruin your Easter :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);104238]Lonesome Dove is a true classic. I’ve got it all on DVD. I think you are talking about the scene where Gus is being chased by Indians. He downs his horse and then proceeds to land rounds short from his lever gun. When the Indian jumps up and dances, Gus flips up his sight and nails him… Then settles in for the night with a smile on his face… Yea, good stuff![/QUOTE]

Yup ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka8ZDlz1AZg

That’s it! I bet based on some fact lost to history.

Apology accepted

I’m heading out to chop fire wood, still got 8 cords remaining, where I live we get snow until late June, sometimes July.
Beautiful day outside, temp about 60 but it will drop to 30 after the sun sets. Sometimes the wind comes calling. Ya gotta love it.
Nice talking with you today Captain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr_p3GiMkIY

You may appreciate this short story: Some years ago the DCM ( department of civilian marksmanship) had a program that if you shot in a certain number of NRA sanctioned matches you could buy an M1 grand from them. The cost was around $135.00 ( mainly paper work cost). During that time frame there were various makes being send out such as IBM and Singer etc. Some of the guns were even M1D sniper types. Well a friend of mine wanted an M1D in the worst way and even told the other shooters he would buy one if they got one, even called the dcm and asked how he could get one. He was told they simply do the pager work and your name goes on a list so there is no control on what you got. So, fast forward to when my gun arrived… I opened the tip of the box and noticed the unmistakable tip of the flash suppressor of an M1D. I don’t go any further, I called the guy that wanted the sniper version. When he came over I showed him my box and said " you open it". He did and let out a massive yipppeeeee as he slid the M1D out of the box. It came with scope and mount. His only comment was that it by all rights it should stay with me. Nice gun, shoots well!

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);104238] Got 45/110 sharps grouped at 18" at 1000 with black powder cartridges. :)[/QUOTE]
I started building a 40-65 a few years ago and it wound up in the back of my safe. Used a 450-577 martini action with a half round/half octagon bbl. I need to get the new stock built and sights fitted.

Well you two settled your differences like gentlemen :slight_smile:

Nice to see a bunch of fellow history buffs here.

Oh hell sweat and grease and I have discussions laced with different views. But that is what makes life interesting. And few here are as fun to spar with :slight_smile:

Sounds like an interesting build. I’ve seen a 45/70 Marlin lever gun that I’ve always had on my list of things to buy, but never did, :frowning:

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);104254]Oh hell sweat and grease and I have discussions laced with different views. But that is what makes life interesting. And few here are as fun to spar with :)[/QUOTE]

I enjoy it! Keep it up (Marquis of Queensberry rules, of course) :slight_smile:

But of course. After all we are officers and gentlemen not heathens :). It’s not uncommon for gentlemen and merchant sailors to sit across a table from one another, call each other names… Only to leave the bar together as friends later the same night.