I don't want to want to go back to work

Just thought I’d throw that out there, I know we’ve all felt that way. I am abundantly aware of the fact that I’m a whiny bitch, so please forgive me, I just felt that those of us who feel similarly deserve a thread of our own. Screw work.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;165190]Just thought I’d throw that out there, I know we’ve all felt that way. I am abundantly aware of the fact that I’m a whiny bitch, so please forgive me, I just felt that those of us who feel similarly deserve a thread of our own. Screw work.[/QUOTE]
I felt that way in 2008 so I retired in 2009. I have doin’ nothing down to a science.

Work seriously interferes with my day drinking…

When I die, I hope I pass in my sleep on the couch. That way they can say I died doing what I loved most.

[QUOTE=injunear;165191]I felt that way in 2008 so I retired in 2009. I have doin’ nothing down to a science.[/QUOTE]

hope I live long enough to retire and enjoy it

[QUOTE=Ctony;165195]hope I live long enough to retire and enjoy it[/QUOTE]
5 guys that retired before me worked until they were 62 and 65. They were dead within 2 years of retirement. I retired at 56. Should have done it at 55. My final, trip, the VP of ops tried to talk me into working at least another year. I told him with the hours I was putting in, I wanted to live long enough to enjoy my retirement. He died of a heart attack a year later. He was one year older than me.

6-7 yrs ago stopped at a customers house to get paid right before thanksgiving for some excavation work i had done, sat down at the table as his wife went to go wake him up on the couch. Dead as a door nail 2 wks after retirement. I see way to many people retire and drop in 1-2yrs, have a friend of mine who is a damm good engineer and tankerman who is 72 and refuses to retire.

The number one killer of retired people is retirement. You’ve got to find new responsibilities and obligations for yourself, or you’ll wind up dead in no time. My father retired in 2006, and he’s busier now than he ever was when he was working, and it’s because he gave himself obligations to do things he cares about. I think he’s going to last a good long time.

Retirement seems like an abstract concept from my point of view.

I’ll turn 65 in 2058. Kind of a depressing thought.

My new career objective is to work a supply vessel serving French Polynesia, meet/marry a native girl, quit shipping and work/manage her fathers pearl farm.

I could be happy.

That saying that goes, “If you do what you love, you never work a day in your life” is a bunch B.S if you ask me.

[QUOTE=Glaug-Eldare;165198]The number one killer of retired people is retirement. You’ve got to find new responsibilities and obligations for yourself, or you’ll wind up dead in no time. My father retired in 2006, and he’s busier now than he ever was when he was working, and it’s because he gave himself obligations to do things he cares about. I think he’s going to last a good long time.[/QUOTE]
I thought I wanted to have a fishing guide service when I retired. The more I looked into it, I remembered the old saw about “the worst cargo you can haul is the kind that can talk”. I still do consulting and license prep but try not to give up more than 3 days a month.

My Dad retired at 55 from a refinery. He went on to travel the country doing volunteer carpentry for the Good Sam organization for the next 25 years. They loved it. The best decision I made was to retire and enjoy working with my Dad in his final year.

[QUOTE=Sand_Pebble;165214]That saying that goes, “If you do what you love, you never work a day in your life” is a bunch B.S if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Fuck boats. Only boat i want to see is on my pond with a case of beer and a fishing pole. Work like a rented monkey at home for myself in my offtime building my business up and enjoy every minute of it. Went to a funeral for a co-worker 3yrs ago who was well past retirement but staying to put his grandkids thru college, poor bastard died on the deck about 6 months from calling it quits.

My grandfather retired at 65, and started working harder than ever on all of his side projects and obligations. Still going strong at 88 years old. Mows his own grass, still drives his own car and everything. I feel if you retire to your recliner, beer, and TV, you won’t last long…so many guys younger than my grandfather did just that and they’ve all knocked off over the years. Sad. Anyways, I hope I can follow his example.

Yeah!!! Screw work till Aug 3rd… Brown party liquor you love me don’t you?

Taking my grandkids to the beach today then on Sat going to see Garth Brooks in nawlins

In N.Y. Harbor we used to say that the only time that 333 came out with a News Letter was when there were enough obituaries to fill a page. I watched way too many guys work for many more years then they had to (even with the B.S. Pension) only to die before collecting on their Pension for 6 months.

[QUOTE=Tugs;165248]In N.Y. Harbor we used to say that the only time that 333 came out with a News Letter was when there were enough obituaries to fill a page. I watched way too many guys work for many more years then they had to (even with the B.S. Pension) only to die before collecting on their Pension for 6 months.[/QUOTE]

You know something, I used to see something that made me take notice long ago when I was still getting the SIU paper.
Incredibly, there would be a sailor you knew on the retirement page, you turned the page and see the same sailor on the Final Departures page.
Saw a lot of the old timers from Baker-Whiteley and Curtis Bay keel over after a few months of retirement.
Last, the Liberty Ship John W. Brown here in Baltimore has extended the life of many a retiree. Sadly, many of them are crossing the bar at a regular rate now, but it was something to see. They’d outwork men thirty years their junior.

My dad retired at 56 after 35 years at the power company as a truck mechanic and that was over 10 years ago.

His normal day consists of napping, fixing lawn mowers, watching tv, piddling in his garage, napping, and cutting the odd neighbors yard.

Smoke weed, maybe cut a few lines. I can’t believe more guys from the golden age of workboat debauchery haven’t retired to pick up their old habits sooner rather than later.

most of you will agree those short lived retirees were a fish out of water after quitting. If you don’t have plans, visions and dreams of what you are going to do, what you really really want to do, when work is a real crimp in your desired life style …(and I’m not talking about laying on the couch drinking, smoking and snorting) you will probably be starting a new life rather than just quitting the grind.

[QUOTE=z-drive;165303]Smoke weed, maybe cut a few lines. I can’t believe more guys from the golden age of workboat debauchery haven’t retired to pick up their old habits sooner rather than later.[/QUOTE]

I worked with a Guy that was getting up there in Age that always Rolled his own Cigarettes. Every once and a while he would ask me for a “Real” Cigarette. I will never forget his answer whenever anyone asked him why he rolled his own, “I’m just keeping in practice until the day I retire”.